Active Topics

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
IMHO, Symbian is overstretched and bent to fit on some smart phones - e.g. the E90, and linux has proven that it can be very effective in a consumer environment (TomTom GO, Nokia tablets, Motorola phones), so maybe the success of the 800 & 810 will mean a proper linux smartphone from Nokia? If so, OpenMoko will need to make a leap ahead, and speed up development, as they're a long way off a general-purpose fit-for-consumer distribution.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Not sure it's a good news for commercial qt..

I'd love to see more C++ on maemo!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
IMHO, Symbian is overstretched and bent to fit on some smart phones - e.g. the E90, and linux has proven that it can be very effective in a consumer environment (TomTom GO, Nokia tablets, Motorola phones), so maybe the success of the 800 & 810 will mean a proper linux smartphone from Nokia? If so, OpenMoko will need to make a leap ahead, and speed up development, as they're a long way off a general-purpose fit-for-consumer distribution.
It's not Symbian that's overstretched, but rather S60. Symbian itself scales effortlessly, but S60 really never was intended for more than a tiny screen and T9 text input.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tvogel View Post
I'd love to see more C++ on maemo!
C++ is a pain IMHO concerning shared libraries. This would open up dependency hell on the tablets. Please keep C++ away from the tablets.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'm surprised we haven't heard from penguinbait yet. I bet this news will make for less effort in his KDE-on-NIT project.

I also sort of wonder, in the back of my mind, if this might lead to KDE-on-NIT (or something a lot like it) being the official Maemo GUI.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
C++ is a pain IMHO concerning shared libraries. This would open up dependency hell on the tablets. Please keep C++ away from the tablets.
Okay, Visual Basic then.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I couldn't agree more. C++ is the dullard's version of OOP in C. Better to go with Objective-C, or even just do your high level app development in a language that isn't C based at all.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Another article: http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/28/news...ce=yahoo_quote

I wonder how this affect Maemo as a whole. I guess an updated Qt library for Maemo will be released and current Qt-based apps will be easier to port. It's either that or Maemo will be replaced by KDE, which is a bit too drastic.