Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Will we see this pushed via SSU once it gets a proper shakedown?

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
It doesn't matter what frequency you set, it is always 333 MHZ
I am going to diagree with you. Default Diablo frequency is 400, it was clocked to it in OS 2008. And in OS 2007 we had a 333 mhz, that's right.
And OS always change frequency to 165 if it not in use or if tablet don't need all processor power.
By the way, I just checked: tablet goes to 165 mhz without any problems automatically.

And I have this error during the instalation ramzes:

bla bla bla (seems to be alright)
Inserting kernel modules!
No value set for `/apps/ramzez/disksize'
insmod: can't open '/lib/modules/current/xvmalloc.ko': No such file or directory
insmod: can't open '/lib/modules/current/ramzswap.ko': No such file or directory
swapon:can't start '/dev/ramzswap0': No such file or directory

Last edited by Kroll; 2011-02-13 at 10:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Quick update: New ramzswap-0.5.5-2 package available fixes the boot order issue. Download and install. No need to reboot.
Ok thanks. I will try it now.

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
I am going to diagree with you. Default Diablo frequency is 400, it was clocked to it in OS 2008. And in OS 2007 we had a 333 mhz, that's right.
It depends on if the DSP is in use. In OS2007, yes, it was always at 333 MHz regardless of the state of the DSP.

In OS2008, it depends. With the default OP Mode set by OS2008, when the DSP is not in use (i.e. you don't have Media Player running), then the frequency is 400 MHz; however, if the DSP is in use, the CPU will go down to 400 MHz while the DSP goes up to 133 MHz. The OP Mode is really a fancy way of prioritising one over the other: you can modify the kernel to set a different OP Mode in which the DSP will run at half its speed (~66 MHz) while the CPU can still run at 400 MHz. The OP Mode patch allows you to change it on the fly, without having to recompile a new kernel each time. Igor explains one is prioritised over the other in this post: http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-de.../msg13383.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Code:
Nokia-N810-43-7:/media/mmc1/dt# dpkg -i ramzswap-dt_0.5.5-2_armel.deb
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `wormux-data' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
21305 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ramzswap-dt 0.5.5-1 (using ramzswap-dt_0.5.5-2_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ramzswap-dt ...
Removing kernel modules!
swapoff: can't stat '/dev/ramzswap0': No such file or directory
rmmod: ramzswap: No such file or directory
rmmod: xvmalloc: No such file or directory
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/ramzswap ...
   /etc/rc2.d/S29ramzswap
   /etc/rc3.d/S29ramzswap
   /etc/rc4.d/S29ramzswap
   /etc/rc5.d/S29ramzswap
Setting up ramzswap-dt (0.5.5-2) ...
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/ramzswap ...
 Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/ramzswap ...
   /etc/rc2.d/S31ramzswap -> ../init.d/ramzswap
   /etc/rc3.d/S31ramzswap -> ../init.d/ramzswap
   /etc/rc4.d/S31ramzswap -> ../init.d/ramzswap
   /etc/rc5.d/S31ramzswap -> ../init.d/ramzswap
insmod: can't open '/lib/modules/current/xvmalloc.ko': No such file or directory
insmod: can't open '/lib/modules/current/ramzswap.ko': No such file or directory
swapon: can't stat '/dev/ramzswap0': No such file or directory
Nokia-N810-43-7:/media/mmc1/dt#

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Code:
swapon: can't stat '/dev/ramzswap0': No such file or directory
Suggestion: change /etc/init.d/ramzswap to use MODPATH=/lib/modules/$(uname -r)?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Are you saying the only way to change the frequency is by editing /etc/kernel-dt-tunables, that it is set at 333MHZ no matter if the unit is idle or not? If so will that have an effect on the battery charge?
I think he said, in the other thread, that when the DSP is active the cpu can't exceed 333MHz but this patch allows the cpu to reach 400MHz but the DSP has to be clocked slower than it would if the cpu was at 333MHz. So I'm guessing it has no effect on battery.
When the DSP is active the CPU is set at 333 MHZ and the DSP at 220 MHZ, no more, no less, no matter if the unit is idle or not, it is a hardware design issue, so this happens no matter the kernel. This patch allows to set the CPU at 400 MHZ at the cost of setting the DSP at 133 MHZ.
When the DSP is not in use, the governor can change the CPU frecuency.
Regarding effect on battery, the CPU takes more power than the DSP, so the 400/133 setting shortens battery life (about 25% less) wrt the 333/220 setting.
Except when playing videos, where you get about the same battery life, but smoother playback.

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-02-13 at 12:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
And OS always change frequency to 165 if it not in use or if tablet don't need all processor power.
By the way, I just checked: tablet goes to 165 mhz without any problems automatically.

And I have this error during the instalation ramzes:

bla bla bla (seems to be alright)
swapon:can't start '/dev/ramzswap0': No such file or directory
Oh sh*t. That happens for having installed the modules package and making asumptions about the default directory layout.
Thanks for spotting it. I'll fix it in a moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Quick update: available ramzswap-0.5.5-3 package. Fixes modules path in startup script.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I received an error while installing, but my N810 already feels faster, really faster. Thanks.

Code:
dpkg: regarding sysvinit_2.85-22.osso15-dt1_armel.deb containing sysvinit, pre-dependency problem:
 sysvinit pre-depends on sysv-rc (>= 2.85-2) | file-rc (>> 0.7.0) | boot-mechanism
 mini-rc provides boot-mechanism but is unpacked but not configured.
dpkg: error processing sysvinit_2.85-22.osso15-dt1_armel.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing sysvinit

Last edited by alephito; 2011-02-13 at 13:54.

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008