Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
That must have been quite awhile ago, since it was old news and no longer true when I moved to Russia in 2001.
I've been traveling and living overseas for periods of time for quite some time (read: I'm old)

I'd say that was true in the 80's and 90's. Doesn't make it less true since it's not recent.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
This thread has gone downhill, so while we're at it...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Meanwhile, Miller/Coors/Bud... even Americans know those are crap beers. I don't drink those beers even when they're on sale. I don't damn sure drink them when I go to Europe - better exists for cheaper.

But the counter to that, Heineken. In the states, it's seen as a beer with prestige. It's not... it's a cheap beer in Holland and many better options exist. In the states, it costs quite a bit much more and folks equate that to something special.
I do feel sorry for the USofA folks, the ones that enjoy beer that is. Most of the US stores are stocked with something that can pass as beer only if you haven't actually had beer ever in your life. The best beer I've encountered in the states was ironically Kingfisher (Indian, lager) which says a lot.

Sure, if you are persistent enough you can find some of the acceptable European beers, but it's insane through what loops n' bounds you have to go in order to get a decent beer in the US. Don't know about the west coast, but from personal experience - it's easier to find and get pure cocaine than a good beer in Chicago, and even in NYC.

As for Heineken, that's a scam beer - massively marketed as premium lager, but of hardly any quality. I mean, it's not a bad lager, but in any objective comparison it would land in the 'cheap', binge-drinking category. It still is tenfold better than what passes as beer in the US, tho, especially Miller which can be considered rainwater at best. What I don't get is that the Netherlands have other quite good mass-scale beers, why the hell did they decide to push Heineken? I mean even Amstel is quite better, let alone Grolsch...

Personally, if I am ever to permanently relocate to the USofA, one of the requirements to even consider the target city is for it to have at least one proper Belgian pub.

Signed: beeroholic

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
However nearly every European also has a Nokia device that we can't seem to part with. Granted that many of them will be older handsets now and stuffed away in their junk draw, but they are loved. These phones are generally seen as their reliable "back up" phones and if you were to ask them what was the best phone they ever owned? They would still point to that device and follow it up with an anecdote of how "from all of the phones they have owned, their aging indestructible Nokia that still works today even after they dropped it down the toilet and drove over it too, is still the best phone to date".
So true... I hardly know of any person that doesn't indulge in reminiscence about how sturdy and reliable were Nokia phones back in the day. Especially the legendary 3310. "You drop it down the stairs, it splits in 10 pieces, you put them together and it still looks and works like new!" is something I've heard thousands of times.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I've been traveling and living overseas for periods of time for quite some time (read: I'm old)

I'd say that was true in the 80's and 90's. Doesn't make it less true since it's not recent.
It was during the 1990ies (when i was <15)

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
This thread has gone downhill, so while we're at it...

I do feel sorry for the USofA folks, the ones that enjoy beer that is. Most of the US stores are stocked with something that can pass as beer only if you haven't actually had beer ever in your life. The best beer I've encountered in the states was ironically Kingfisher (Indian, lager) which says a lot.

Sure, if you are persistent enough you can find some of the acceptable European beers, but it's insane through what loops n' bounds you have to go in order to get a decent beer in the US. Don't know about the west coast, but from personal experience - it's easier to find and get pure cocaine than a good beer in Chicago, and even in NYC.

As for Heineken, that's a scam beer - massively marketed as premium lager, but of hardly any quality. I mean, it's not a bad lager, but in any objective comparison it would land in the 'cheap', binge-drinking category. It still is tenfold better than what passes as beer in the US, tho, especially Miller which can be considered rainwater at best. What I don't get is that the Netherlands have other quite good mass-scale beers, why the hell did they decide to push Heineken? I mean even Amstel is quite better, let alone Grolsch...

Personally, if I am ever to permanently relocate to the USofA, one of the requirements to even consider the target city is for it to have at least one proper Belgian pub.

Signed: beeroholic

So true... I hardly know of any person that doesn't indulge in reminiscence about how sturdy and reliable were Nokia phones back in the day. Especially the legendary 3310. "You drop it down the stairs, it splits in 10 pieces, you put them together and it still looks and works like new!" is something I've heard thousands of times.
I would be ok with spending a six pack of Sam Adams (your choice) explicitely for you

There ares o many smaller and micro breweries in the US, if you look you get _really_ nice brews.

You have many decent microbreweries in US that sell real good beer. If you want good beer in the US, not a problem to find it. Just dont drink corporate beer!!

Where do you get that it's so hard to find good beer in the US? Maybe 10 years ago the non-costal regions had crappy selection, but I can walk into any grocery store in Cincinnati and get a decent selection of Mexican brews or micro-brewed hefeweizens. Granted all the German beers are big brand yuck, but they have some decent English beers. If I drive to the international market about 15 minutes away I have my choice of - no kidding - over 1200 world beers. You want Czech republic? Brazilian? Vietnamese? They have it. Even the local liquor stores have stuff like Samual Smith's Nut Brown and Pilsner Urquell.

Granted, my neighbors look at my beer (or my Luksusowa) and shrivel their noses at it as they crack a Budweiser, but, for real beer drinkers the US is not as dismal as it once was.

Last edited by Mize; 2012-04-23 at 20:57.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
It's the complete opposite in the UK, the iPhone is a chav status symbol.

Research has shown the iPhone demographic to be low-skill, low-pay, low standard of education.

This is consistent with what I see in my own workplace, all the iPhones belong to the staff on the factory floor. Management have Symbian, Blackberry or Android.
LOL. Whose research? YOurs? LOOOOL

Here is some research mate:

http://www.marketingcharts.com/direc...althier-13778/

Interestingly enough....Android users are less wealthy and less educated:

"Although Android and iPhone users both skew male (Android users show a 54/46 gender split compared to iPhone’s 55/45), there are some striking differences. Android users tend to be slightly younger than their iPhone peers- 55% of Android users are under the age of 34 — while just 47% of iPhone users fall within the same demographic. As is usually the case, age is also a prime determinant of income and education, with Android users slightly less wealthy and less educated".

full link mates:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ne-vs-android/

Originally Posted by zwer View Post

While I have zero experience looking for cocaine, I still can relate to that sentiment. However, finding good beer isn't that hard any longer. You just have to know where to go - it's not our grocery stores.

And honestly? Craft beers have taken off in the US in such a way that good beer exists from microbreweries that are as good as much of the Belgian or German stuff I had while I've been there.

And that's saying a lot.

As for Heineken, that's a scam beer - massively marketed as
Let me know the city. We just got a biergarten here in my city and it's not bad.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
LOL. Whose research? YOurs? LOOOOL

Here is some research mate:

http://www.marketingcharts.com/direc...althier-13778/
From 2010.
Do you need me to educate you on how much the smartphone market has changed since June of 2010? Can you even legitimately compare Android from 2010 to today?

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen