Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because they're two different things and Maemo 5 is not equivalent to the N900 (in fact, it's been run on the Beagle Board), that doesn't mean other manufacturers get to ship Nokia's proprietary software and abuse their trademarks, however.

Software aside, Nokia doesn't license the brand, so other companies can't just start using their trademarks whenever they feel like it.

The whole reason Nokia ships differentiation software in Maemo is so that Chinese manufacturers can't just copy it all, ship it on inferior hardware and sell it as Maemo. If the whole thing were open source then there wouldn't be any appreciable difference between what this company is shipping and what Nokia's shipping software-wise.

Pfft, because Nokia has firmware locks you need to bypass and 90% of its platform is closed source. Please.

Just because Nokia has a reasonable expectation of not doing another company's work for them doesn't turn them into an evil company.

Yea I have since some really bad reviews floating around out thier about the N900 . . . . Something tells me that people are getting burner on eBay with fake NokLA N9OO phones from china and not even knowing it ..... damn you Chinese!!!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Thank you for the clarifications, GeneralAntilles. I understand the need for companies to protect their trademarks. I also would not be comfortable buying a knock-off. I would consider buying an alternative to N900 running the open parts of Maemo on a 4.3-4.8'' screen though...

I am curious if it will be possible to run N900 applications on Aigo or on Optima. If they sell well (because of their larger screens, better price, or whatever), then developers will have more reasons to write for Maemo, right?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I am curious if it will be possible to run N900 applications on Aigo or on Optima. If they sell well (because of their larger screens, better price, or whatever), then developers will have more reasons to write for Maemo, right?
It's based on a Maemo 4 codebase, so, no.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's based on a Maemo 4 codebase, so, no.
Thanks again for the info.

Well, it really isn't all that surprising... Nokia, just like Apple, is a hardware company. It is in their best interest to break compatibility and portability, so that people would buy their next gadget. The software (or the OS) is only used as a bait...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Well, it really isn't all that surprising... Nokia, just like Apple, is a hardware company. It is in their best interest to break compatibility and portability, so that people would buy their next gadget. The software (or the OS) is only used as a bait...
Yeah . . . no. This isn't why Maemo 5 is generally not compatible with Maemo 4. New technologies, new software. The Linux environment is changing quickly and Maemo always has to do a lot of catch-up with each major release. Incompatibilities tend to have more to do with GTK+, etc than any deliberate decisions by Nokia.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Too bad it's not Maemo 5, but there is hope in China. Perhaps we will see a viable N900 replacement in the future, just with MeeGo.

Oh and behold, the Nokia N500:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2007/10/nok...-at-sema-2007/

i want to know where to download ROM