Closed Thread
There have been problems lately regarding spambots registering and spamming the forum. There has been a lot of discussion about it on this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76825

While I have added a lot of plug-ins on the forum software to minimize the automated registration and posting, there seem to several who can bypass them.

This thread aims to request for volunteers to help with the eradication of these spammers. We only need a maximum of 4 volunteers with good standing (no infractions) and hopefully from different continents so majority of the time zones can be covered. If there are more than 4 volunteers, we will choose the most active and helpful ones, from different time zones. Those who are not selected will be put standby just in case we need more in the future.

If you are interested, please reply on this thread not later than October 3, 2011 with the following:

I would like to volunteer as a Spam Moderator.

Why are there so much spam?

Good question. A lot of these spam posts are made by spambots -- software that automatically registers to multiple forums, and post multiple spam posts so they can promote a product or website. To give you an idea how they do it, here's an old demo video of a spamming software:

http://pandalabs.pandasecurity.com/b.../24/xrumer.swf

Note that this video was made around 2007. Imagine how much it has changed and how intelligent it has become to defeat anti-spam plug-ins in forums.

What do you have to do?

It is really not as hard as you might think. If you see a spam post, all you have to do is click on the author of that post, and as a Spam Moderator, you should see a "One-touch Ban & Clean" option:

Once you click on it, if the member is less than 30 days old a confirmation screen will be displayed:

Hit Confirm and it the system will do the rest -- delete all posts, ban the user, ip, and add the user information to the global spammer database.

That's it!

if in case a spammer is more than 30 days old and it won't let you ban and clean, PM me and I'll take care of it.

Thanks for those who have been actively reporting spammers and proposing solutions. Thanks in advance for those who intend to volunteer to help.

Last edited by Reggie; 2011-10-13 at 05:28.

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK

My website

GitHub

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Timezone: Pacific
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
count me in? i check TMO like 20 times a day.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kent_autistic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I would like to volunteer. Location London, UK and Pakistan (50/50).

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I can also help cover asian time-zones if necessary.

Indonesia, Singapore, Australia.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Volunteer here too o/

Location UK

I volunteer (TZ=BST), on the basis that clean up seems like less work than reporting (which I do anyway), but I still think throwing more manual labour against automated attacks is missing the point entirely.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
lol ,goody ,that really shows how active this community is .Great .I would like to name myself for sucha worthy job .i simply hate spammers !!
pakistan
china

Closed Thread