Active Topics

This is a call for participation as well as a small announcement of "SkippingStones". SkippingStones is my implementation of the Pebble smart watch protocol written primarily in QML. You can get more detailed information about this here: http://ruedigergad.com/2014/02/15/pe...or-sailfishos/

This whole effort is still quite a big work-in-progress. However, so far, I could already do the following things with the current implementation:
  • Control the music player.
  • Display the current song.
  • Get call and SMS notifications.
  • Upload watchfaces to the watch.

I don't have much spare time these days so everything is in a very edged and rough shape. Hence, I also appreciate every tiny bit of help and contribution very much.

I hope this is useful for some.

PS: Great thanks go to the author of libpebble: https://github.com/Hexxeh/libpebble/...bble/pebble.py

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Many thanks my friend

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hello there,

I'm desperately trying to get my Pebble Smart Watch (SDK 2.0) to run with the Jolla phone (latest update). I tried to connect using SkippingStones, but it just won't find the Pebble, even though it's paired.

SkippingStones development seems to have stopped about 2 months ago. I can remember the dev asking for support in his blog (http://ruedigergad.com/2014/02/15/pe...or-sailfishos/), but I guess he just didn't get any replies

The Pebble Android app of course doesn't work (no Bluetooth support it seems, at least the app claims that), Rockwatch (which works great on my N9, btw.) is still not available for Sailfish OS and the original libpebble is missing Python sh module when trying to execute it.

Does anybody know about the current stage of Pebble support on Sailfish OS? Is the situation really as bad as I think? Or have I overlooked something?

I'm planning to finally make my Jolla my main device even though it has still some bugs and glitches, but not being able to use my Pebble the way it was intended is a big showstopper for me

Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
I tried to connect using SkippingStones, but it just won't find the Pebble, even though it's paired.
Hi,

did you try to manually enter the address of your Pebble in the text field and connect then?
You should find the Pebble address on your Pebble in the settings in the "About" page.
(The format is "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". Which should be the format as displayed in the Pebble about page.)

The discovery in SkippingStones seems to be broken for some unapparent reason.
I actually suspect the cause to be somewhere in the backend of the bluetooth stack as SkippingStones uses the plain QML Bluetooth API for discovery but I didn't have the time to track that issue down yet.

Furthermore, SkippingStones currently only implements the 1.x Pebble protocol and I don't know if there are any significant changes compared to the SDK 2.x version as you want to use it.
However, it might still be worth a try with manually entering the Bluetooth address as described above.

If you want to get more debug output you can also try to run SkippingStones from the command line.
It should be pretty chatty with respect to what it does.

Moreover, the actual protocol implementation is done in QML.
So, if anyone wants to hack on it, you can even do it on the device without the need to recompiling things.

Last edited by Wonko; 2014-04-03 at 19:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the information. I've now entered the address manually, but it stilll won't connect

I'll think about a firmware downgrade...

If only I could code, I would really like to help.

Edit: after a reboot it connects - but Pebble asks me for a software update on the phone now...

Last edited by geekgirl74; 2014-04-03 at 19:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
If I downgraded to SDK 1.0, would it receive messages on the Pebble?

If I downgraded to SDK 1.0, would it receive messages on the Pebble?
So far, SkippingStones supports notification of SMS and calls as well as controlling the music player.
Please note that for the music player functionality to work you need to manually apply an additional patch as described in my blog post you linked above.
Also note that, right now, the call notification also triggers when dialing a number; i.e., it also goes off for outgoing calls too.
Furthermore, there is no "daemon" mode yet; i.e., you will need to keep SkippingStones open "all the time" (or at least as long as you want to use the Pebble with your phone).

As you already noticed, the last update on SkippingStones was about two months ago.
Unfortunately, my time is very very limited, right now.
Thus, it is rather unlikely that there will be any enhancements if no one else joins in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Edit: after a reboot it connects - but Pebble asks me for a software update on the phone now...
Ah, great.
It sometimes takes some tries to connect.
Just in case, if it repeatedly refuses to connect I found that removing the pairing on the phone and the watch and re-pairing from scratch also did the trick.

Have you been able to send notifications etc. to the watch via the "testing" buttons in SkippingStones?
I.e., just try to push, e.g., "E-Mail" or "SMS" etc. and it should send something to the watch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Ah, great.
It sometimes takes some tries to connect.
Just in case, if it repeatedly refuses to connect I found that removing the pairing on the phone and the watch and re-pairing from scratch also did the trick.

Have you been able to send notifications etc. to the watch via the "testing" buttons in SkippingStones?
I.e., just try to push, e.g., "E-Mail" or "SMS" etc. and it should send something to the watch.
It does receive the test messages from the app, but - except for a test e-mail, which it didn't receive (and which would be my most wanted feature) - I haven't tested any further yet.

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
So far, SkippingStones supports notification of SMS and calls as well as controlling the music player.
Please note that for the music player functionality to work you need to manually apply an additional patch as described in my blog post you linked above.
Also note that, right now, the call notification also triggers when dialing a number; i.e., it also goes off for outgoing calls too.
Furthermore, there is no "daemon" mode yet; i.e., you will need to keep SkippingStones open "all the time" (or at least as long as you want to use the Pebble with your phone).

As you already noticed, the last update on SkippingStones was about two months ago.
Unfortunately, my time is very very limited, right now.
Thus, it is rather unlikely that there will be any enhancements if no one else joins in.
Thanks for all your help and patience, I really hope that somebody can help out, I see the potential of this app, but currently it's not that usable for me. Anyways: thanks again.