Posts: 34 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Bulgaria - Vidin
Thanks for the ideas. Tried running dsmetest and it complains about dsmesock_connect: No such file or directory. So does retutime and date and time on debian are always wrong.
Just for the curious: one of the repositories (the biggest one I think) is http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/de...ol-armel/main/
I found some debian rootfs from the same server and configured it, installed X and dsp-gateway and some more things.
I am wondering how to make an image of my mmc1 partition. If I do "./targnu cf - -C /media/mmc1 . " will tar preserve the permissions and the files inside /dev/

Last edited by apple2; 2007-12-28 at 08:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to apple2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by apple2 View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Tried running dsmetest and it complains about dsmesock_connect: No such file or directory. So does retutime and date and time on debian are always wrong.
Did you use chroot? Maybe that is also because debian clears /tmp on boot? To communicate with dsme you need to leave /tmp/dsmesock in place. /tmp and /mnt/initfs/tmp is same place (mounted via -o bind in /linuxrc) so even chrooted dsmetest does not work if /tmp is cleared. Maybe you can unmount it before letting debian to clear it. You should perhaps remount it anyway, it is tmpfs limited to 512kb which may be too small for debian.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-12-28 at 09:17.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Ukraine Kyiv
for share image the best chois as for me woudbe dd image from SD card :
unplug your sd
plug it into cardreader
dd if=/dev/sd/\partition /\ of $HOME/sid_n770.dd
bzip2 -9 $HOME/sid_n770.dd

and some question
did it use nokia`s kernel or rebuilded ?
did uinput (need for mouseemu) work ?
iceweasel workable ?

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Did you use chroot? Maybe that is also because debian clears /tmp on boot? To communicate with dsme you need to leave /tmp/dsmesock in place. /tmp and /mnt/initfs/tmp is same place (mounted via -o bind in /linuxrc) so even chrooted dsmetest does not work if /tmp is cleared. Maybe you can unmount it before letting debian to clear it. You should perhaps remount it anyway, it is tmpfs limited to 512kb which may be too small for debian.
Very thankful about the idea. Just made it not to clear tmp and dsmetest works . I'll fiddle with retutime a bit and (rock)

Kernel is the same one. I haven't tried mouseemu but righclick works with a script using xmodmap. I think I tried iceweasel but it segfaulted but I'm not sure.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I am wondering how to make an image of my mmc1 partition. If I do "./targnu cf - -C /media/mmc1 . " will tar preserve the permissions and the files inside /dev/
Why to archive /media/mmc1? To archive live / unix filesystem remount it somewhere else to get rid of /proc /sys etc and then tar and gzip it (dd wastes space by readng also unused blocks).
example - your debian root is on /dev/mmcblk0p2 and you booted from it, you also have big FAT partition mounted to /media/mmc1
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
cd /opt
targnu -zcvf /media/mmc1/debian.tar.gz .
or it is slightly better to archive it while booted from something else. If you don't have enough space on card for the archive, you can run it over ssh and pipe the result directly to file on desktop. Something like
Code:
ssh >archive.tar.gz root@n770 tar -zcvf - -C /opt .
should work but will be slow. Best is perhaps to use card reader and mount it directly on linux PC and tar it without using 770.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Just for the curious: one of the repositories (the biggest one I think) is http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/de...ol-armel/main/
I found some debian rootfs from the same server and configured it, installed X and dsp-gateway and some more things.
Thanks I didn't know this armel repo. That's a very good finding!!
Your website was not available yesterday, that's why I asked details. Now it is, I get a bit more about the picture.
I wonder why Nokia didn't go from the start with a vanilla linux distro...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich

A friend lend me his n800 for one day. I tried to debootstrap. I had not enough time.

However, the repo worked fine in OS 2008. (But there are only few packages that don't break dependencies like gpw)

Hopefully i will get my own n800 soon.

Time and date is working now I'm trying to tar it now but this comes to be a very very slow proccess.

Very interesting!
But is it hard to install it step by step? Since I still have one more 2GB MMC left for testing new stuff!