Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by magick777 View Post
For instance, a BB user described last night how he'd had to use Twitter to get weather forecasts while on holiday...he didn't look pleased when I showed him OMWeather nestled in between my e-mails and calendar. :-)

For me, the answer depends upon the spread of a technology that I actually want to use. When there are viable 4G networks and service plans, and cloud computing is the norm, I won't want a 3G handset. When I can actually use an NFC-enabled phone for mobile payments, local travel AND home integration, maybe I'll bite. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the N900...
Its the user's issue that he cant find weather without Twitter

As for the spread of technology I think it depends where you live. For me 3g network speeds are needed , I use HDMI cable to connect my phone and watch tv shows and I use cloud to back up my documents.

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
  • HDMI? No argument there. N9 should have had it. I've yet to see any good reason why it doesn't other than some marketing fluff from Nokia.
  • Fast CPU? Don't necessarily agree (see my previous post).
  • 1GB RAM? Pretty sure N9 has this already. Check the spec.
The op wasn't asking about any specific device in particular. He just doesn't get why ppl abandon N900 for another phones. I dont want N9 because of MeeGo and Nokia's attitude towards it

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Its the user's issue that he cant find weather without Twitter

As for the spread of technology I think it depends where you live. For me 3g network speeds are needed , I use HDMI cable to connect my phone and watch tv shows and I use cloud to back up my documents.
Yes and no - there's weather apps for Blackberry, but, my ability to have e-mails, calendar and a week's weather forecasts all on my default desktop comes down to the availability of widgets plus the screen space to run them. This just works better (for me) than trying to achieve the same under Symbian or BB.

I live in surburban London, but 3G coverage remains hit and miss, WiFi is not ubiquitous, contactless payments haven't taken off and I don't own a single HDMI-compliant device. I use a few cloud apps, but I don't expect to be able to do so reliably from a mobile. When all that changes (and matters more to me than the combination of functionality I get from the N900), that's when I need a new handset...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
I'll get the N9 eventually. Until then, I have my killer duo with me, N900 and N82

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Hmm? You're a talented communicator, so I normally understand your posts very clearly (even if I occasionally disagree with them) but I don't get this. How does hardware tie in? A lack of RAM? Or what?
Thanks for the compliment and question instead of assuming. It was noticed and it's fully appreciated.

To continue, we've been using HTML5 Canvas. And on older phones, I get like 7fps, if anything at all.

So I have to use heavy jQuery animations instead. And that doesn't really help if the browser isn't up to snuff. And then I have to browser sniff to ensure I can figure out what's the best method to deliver anything.

I'm switching away from Adobe Flash/Flex because I have to hit more targets... like non-flash enabled browsers (read: Apple) and newer browsers. But older browsers, like MicroB can't even display Google+ correctly, let alone HTML5 canvas animations.

So yeah... the stuff I'm doing now, unfortunately isn't optimized yet. Bleeding edge tends to need bleeding edge technology. Not a few months ago tech. But right now, like at this very moment.

There's Fennec/Firefox Beta, but their numbers are capped mostly because of the hardware/CPU/GPU (if applicable).

What web technology (other than Flash... about which I don't personally care much) isn't working with the N900 these days?
Since I'm actually a Flash/Flex dev, I need Flash still. But I'm using StageVideo and 10.3 by now, 10.2 in the least.

And I'm also an Adobe AIR dev. So on top of the Flash need for web, and the HTML5 canvas need, I can't deploy (blame Adobe, I know) to the N900. It's actually below their (AIR 2.7) specs. So I'm limited there.

I could venture deeper into QML/Qt Quick, but to be honest, I don't have any clients, even the esoteric requests asking for that. I don't even have a use for my old Microsoft .NET app dev background any longer.

But as it stands, just for web... the N900 doesn't cut it for me any longer.

http://www.smashcat.org/av/canvas_test/

Test that out. You'll do good to squeak out 10fps (that's not my "test", can't point to my projects quite yet).

Less than 15fps is less than acceptable. Friend of mine tested on the N950 a moment ago... 7fps. I have an Atrix, got a steady 14fps (by my own requirements, it fails). On the Xoom, I get 20fps. On Firefox 6 on OS X 10.6.8, I get 40fps. And I'll test out my Windows and Linux installs in a bit when I'm not so tired.

But yeah... the N900, while a killer admin device - it can do EVERYTHING I need there, all but Github + Capistrano, but I didn't attempt to install Capistrano when I still had mine, now I do that via my tablets now due to the screensize - it isn't a web developers phone. In fact, it's a rather esoteric developer's phone - I don't have any clients asking me to code in QML/Qt Quick.

No comments about my new WebGL projects I'm looking it. So yeah... heavy HTML5, jQuery, AJAX... all of those are quite slow on the N900.

Okay, I've rambled on quite a bit. I have a ton of other reasons, but for this web dev... it's outdated. For the admin in me, it's tops to this day. For the local app tester/dev, it would be great to this day too. I'm merely talking about web and it fails for me.

Hope that clarifies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I think the N950 is the perfect phone. Faster CPU, more RAM, bigger screen. But, of course, we won't be able to buy it.
I've been looking at new phones for quite a while, and can't find a better phone for me. One of the reasons is the keyboard. Another reason is that the N900 is the only phone that i know that is quad band GSM and has both AWS and 900/2100 3G. This is very important to me, because while I live in the US, I go every year to Europe, and I don't want to use two different devices if possible.

So the way things look, I think I will keep my N900 as a phone for a few more years, but probably also buy some sort of 5" Android (or Linux) PMP/tablet thingy for stuff like videos (which really suck on the N900 screen).

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
The op wasn't asking about any specific device in particular. He just doesn't get why ppl abandon N900 for another phones.
True. I think my Melvillian obsession with the N9 may have got the better of me there.

Heh.

I dont want N9 because of MeeGo and Nokia's attitude towards it
You don't have to go to the trouble of not wanting the N9. Nokia are doing all the work for you there.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
following Gerbicks benchmark link: http://www.smashcat.org/av/canvas_test/

I got 2 fps on my stock 600mhz phone. Lol.

I went to buy another N900 in february for the only propose of having another NEW ONE in case mine fails because I don't see another device coming in at least 2 years that is open and fully multitask. Android will never be fully multitask, the core of their system is modified to STOP the programs that aren't focused, and that is not real multitask. I don't like Windows Phone 7, and WebOS is the only one more o less acceptable, but it is dead too.

Last edited by JorgeFX; 2011-09-23 at 08:12.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
tried gerbick link with oc 900 and oc 1150 but max was 4fps average 3fps...

The Following User Says Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post: