Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I am not even sure we will see any Meego handset from Nokia anymore...
I think they will still release a MeeGo device b/c they have promised to do so. I wonder now if they will do the minimum needed to keep this promise and then bug out.

There is also a leaked memo out there:
Nokia now tells staff that the majority of MeeGo activities are planned to be discontinued by the end of June 2012, adding: "The Windows Phone organization has started to ramp up its operations and a large part of that organization will be in place by the end of 2011, and Nokia aims to retain as many people as possible from other areas, such as the Symbian and MeeGo organizations.
One question I have -- is this consistent with what we've already been told, which is that of releasing one Harmattan device and keeping MeeGo around for experimentation and future disruptions? Or are they no longer keeping MeeGo around for anything beyond supporting the to-be-existing Harmattan device?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Ok. So accenture don't need to deliver something? And Nokia don't have to pay accenture? If that is the case they can play with the code for a year and the hit the trash and Nokia Will be fine
Pretty much yes.

Accenture is the hospice where Symbian goes to die, and Nokia saves a bundle along the way. It would cost Nokia more to employ those people for an extra year and then pay decent package once they get fired.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
What's Accenture getting out of this was my first thought? Because i'm sure we all are thinking the same thing that Rauha is.
It has been officially announced that Symbian will be killed and to me it actually looks like it's happening a bit faster than i thought.

Btw here's parts of the interview that Elop did 30 minutes ago.

Also direct link to the 20 minutes video.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I think they will still release a MeeGo device b/c they have promised to do so. I wonder now if they will do the minimum needed to keep this promise and then bug out.
It wouldn't be the first promise they've broken... and I'm sure not the last. Sadly, I see this as the death of the 950, to the point it may not make it past the prototype. Who's going to buy or develop for a device from a company that now has 0 people working on it? You need at least a small core just to do maintenance, since nothing is 100% perfect. If they're really releasing all the engineers working on it, before it even launches, go odds it's vapor.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
i am very sad ... i had this feeling about nokia and maemo/meego when Ari Jaaksi left nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
Well...if your management decides it is no longer in the business of innovation (meego , R&D), then why not lash yourself to the slowest horse in the race (MSFT)? .
Referring to software only, please tell me what "innovation" these 7,000 laid off developers came up with?

So many resources yet so little accomplished (half finished Maemo, latest Symbian which only competes at 2007-2008 levels). Clearly they are just dead-weight losers or the biggest mis-management EVER (prior to Elop)!

If you're not a developer, you wont understand that 7,000 developers is a STAGGERING number to have so little accomplished.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Great - "biggest staff reductions in Symbian and MeeGo R&D"...

figures...
This further sinks Nokia. Let the Engineers go work for Nokia competitors.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
This further sinks Nokia. Let the Engineers go work for Nokia competitors.
Based on so little they achieved.. I don't think they'll be wanted. I would only hire
- microb developers
- voip developers
- maemo developers

The rest should find a new profession

Nokia got by far the largest R&D department and costs in the business.

The plan already announced by Elop earlier was that they will shed 1 billion from Devices and Services till 2013 where i'm sure most goes away of R&D. If that whole billion would go away from R&D Nokia would still be tied number one with Samsung in the R&D department. Way way ahead of Apple, RIM, Motorola etc.

Just maybe it was about time to get some sense to that side that has clearly been running on circles.

Nokia's+NSN combined R&D is $7.8 billion in 2010. More than Google or IBM.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-04-27 at 21:13.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post

There is also a leaked memo out there:

One question I have -- is this consistent with what we've already been told, which is that of releasing one Harmattan device and keeping MeeGo around for experimentation and future disruptions? Or are they no longer keeping MeeGo around for anything beyond supporting the to-be-existing Harmattan device?
Dejavu. It is a repetition of what happened with N900 and Maemo.

Tags
nokia = rats, whats nokia?