Hi guys! I'm using N900 for over a year, and the only thing I'm missing is kernel: 2.6 is nice and dandy, but outdated. I have luck with postmarketOS on my sdcard; my N900 is running on 4.12 and I am not upset with absence of camera and stuff.
I am not that experienced with Linux on ARM platforms, so the question is simple: is there any hope that kernel > 3.2 can be ported to stock Maemo 5? I spent numerous nights googling trying to figure how one can at least use pali's kernel upstream repo or how postmarket dudes applying driver tree so 4.12 running fine and how it is possible to replace stock 2.6 with their. Can anyone direct me to some information sources or it is just a waste of time and postmarketOS is the only solution to aging of this silicon beauty?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akirakiteshi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
can you please post here an image of your sdcard or a guide to install it? I'm curious to try postmarket OS on my n900 too.

Thanks

Last edited by blackjack4it; 2017-11-14 at 11:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blackjack4it View Post
can you please post here an image? I'm curious to try postmarket OS on my n900 too.

Thanks
Right now I'm far away from machine where all magic happened, so basically what I did:
0. Before any steps you should install u-boot from Maemo
1. Cloned repo from https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap
2. Executed ./pmbootstrap.py init
3. After configuring I executed ./pmbootstrap.py -v --no-fde --details-to-stdout install --sdcard /dev/sdX
4. I've put sdcard into N900, turned it with keyboard open and chose to boot from External MMC (or something similar)
And it worked right from the box. Then you can use Alpine Linux wiki to rice your fresh installation.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to akirakiteshi For This Useful Post: