Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
its not maemo also, since its mostly not all that compatible with maemo
Except it is Maemo, it has far more in common w/Maemo5 than vanilla MeeGo.
Of course it's not (as) compatible w/Maemo5, the goal was to maintain compatibility between Vanilla & Harmattan.
Have you ever used MeeGoCE, now known as MeR/Nemo???

their referring to it as maemo is more wrong than saying its meego, because it officially called meego, although it may not be meego, but it is not maemo officially or unofficially
Nope, it makes little sense to refer to at as MeeGo because the MeeGo project is dead.
It was part of the project & was designed to enable a gradual transition to MeeGo proper.
But as that project now longer exists it can no longer perform its role, so it makes little sense to refer to it as MeeGo.
In a technical sense there's no question that it has much more in common w/Maemo5 than Vanilla MeeGo.
Even Nokia tellingly re-geared its marketing plans last year by tacking Harmattan onto the end of MeeGo.
But I don't care either way, people can call it MeeGo/M-H/Harmattan/Maemo6x, doesn't bother me
I prefer to call it Maemo6x because it makes more sense to me, but the general public couldn't care less.

first x86 phone? you mean nokia 9000 communicator is coming out again?
I mean the road-map that was in place just prior to Elop-fail announcing the new plans on Feb 11 (?) 2011.
The 1st x86 (Read: Intel/medfield) ph was due in roughly Dec 2011, it's clear now that probably wouldn't have been possible.
But given what Intel's delivered this year, it's quite apparent that June/July would've been possible.
The plan was always to have at least two Maemo6x phones, possibly a third if MeeGo proper & the 1st x86 phone needed it.
So it seems we would've had a 3rd Maemo6x phone by now or shipping, & the 1st x86 would've been announced "roughly" June/July.
This is all assuming of course that the team remained at full size, or even grew slightly since Feb last year.
Instead of dropping by over 75%....

meego-harmattan is as much maemo as android is linux, the core is there but its just not the real deal...
Not really, the main openness advantage maemo5 had was w/large chunks of the UX layer/apps etc.*
Security/permissions framework in Maemo6x is quickly/increasingly becoming less of a hindrance.
Just a few months ago people were bleating that it's "game over" thanks to AEGIS etc.
Maemo5/6 weren't particularly amazing from an openness perspective, even compared to Android.
MeeGo proper would've been far more compliant in that regard...
Now that Intel & co's transformed it into Tizen, lets hope they actually make it a success this time.
It has it's drawbacks that vary in magnitude depending who you ask, but I'll be giving it the benefit of the doubt.

*I'm not understating that, it is a "biggy", but still somewhat of an open question.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-12 at 21:59. Reason: typo

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Earth
I really hope they'll continue with Maemo6 one day..
Tizen? rather not.. i can picture its speed with html5.. it's awesome on the web, but a web technology should stay as a web technology.
C++ is portable enough as well as Qt. not getting the point

Last edited by ja-pc; 2012-03-15 at 14:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ja-pc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ja-pc View Post
I really hope they'll continue with Maemo6 one day..
Even better my friend: maemo7.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This message above - about it being dumbed down as only a base for Qt5 - has been thrown about lately.

Can anybody explain this to me as to why that's a concern?
I too would like to see Meltemi fleshed-out much more, all pure speculation of course.
Enough of this Maemo/MeeGo crap debate we're having....
More chatter about Tizen & what we each think/know would also be more productive.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-12 at 22:13. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Last I read, Intel dropped out / gave up on Tizen, leaving only Samsung. Might be wrong though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This message above - about it being dumbed down as only a base for Qt5 - has been thrown about lately.

Can anybody explain this to me as to why that's a concern?
It's not a concern for me as an application developer, so long as the usual tools are available. I'd want to know about how it handles multitasking, though. I don't want any of that 'tombstoning' crap you get with Windoze Phone.

As a user, I expect it will be much less interesting than Maemo. I expect the security framework will be at least as forbidding as that in MeeGo-Harmattan. Then there is the question as to how easy it will be to install any interesting linux tools. I doubt there will even be xterm readily available.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
I don't care how you people call it but I call it NnineOS from now on and it is dead only when this phone isn't usable anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't want native apps. My tv is a computer, my car has a computer, and my phone is a Computer, my computer is a computer. I prefer it slower and more accessible. I want an OS with only browser.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I don't want native apps. My tv is a computer, my car has a computer, and my phone is a Computer, my computer is a computer. I prefer it slower and more accessible. I want an OS with only browser.
U trollin' bro?

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Last I read, Intel dropped out / gave up on Tizen, leaving only Samsung. Might be wrong though.
Last time i heard there's maybe 10 people interested in total, so you might be right, or might not. Hard to say as nobody seems to even know the OS exists.

And i agree with Jalyst that the current discussion is outdated. Hopefully we will hear about Meltemi this year. Before Nokia World that will probably be one big Windows fest?

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down