Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by davidh101 View Post
No flash support yet on WP7, but I susect that it will be doing the same as Apple, and going down the HTML 5 line of things instead.

More interestingly, no silverlight suport within the browser!!!!
HA your brave posting what you did on the last 2 but i am with you and lets face it... do we have a choice here???.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
HA your brave posting what you did on the last 2 but i am with you and lets face it... do we have a choice here???.
I thought what the hell, I know I'm going to get moaned at, but I suspect that a lot of these people will be eating their words in a year or 2......but then again, I could be too!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidh101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by davidh101 View Post
This is the first time that I have posted here in quite a while.

What I thought was unfortunate at the time (early last year), was my work took me away from working with Maemo/Meego, and bought me straight into the WP7 world. However, open-minded as I like to be, I went with it (and was being paid to go with it, so that helped).

As a developer, I have to say, that WP7 is actually one of the better platforms out there, it has so much potenial. Yes, not everything was there from the outset, but what new OS does have everything.

The most interesting thing, is that it has been created with teh user in mind (it pains me to say this, but similar to iOS in that way). If you look at all of Nokia's OS's, and Android, they have all been made with the developer in mind, open source, allowing people to do what they want (within reason)

Yes, Android has done well recently, but how long did it take to get there, what would that mean for Meego, on how long it would have to be in the market before it gets somewhere. If Nokia ar going to move, they don't really have any options, they can't go from one open-source system to another,they may as well just carry on with their own. WP7 was the only way they can go.

In fact, currently, I have an HTC with WP7 (my first ever non-Nokia device), and provided by work, so not entirely by choice, but I don't have a bad word to say about it. Well, there are a few features that could be improved or missing, but then I said that about my N900.

I think, a good decision by Nokia and MS, well done. Both are after marketshare, and I think this deal will do them both some good in the long term.
Hey man,

Welcome back!

Before anyone else takes their opportunity to say this, let me be the first to tell you that you're a shill! What a timely return, only to spew out some well written niceties about WP7 to quell our anger!!!

jk

It's nice to hear different perspectives on a big issue like this. Please ignore the troll! (and disregard my avatar)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Well said DavidH101. I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes picking the untrendy better option doesn't make sense to people regardless of the facts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
@davidh101

I have seen and used WP7 and it's a very good OS I would have bought it if not for the lack of features. But if other companies can support multiple OS's...HTC for example sell Android and WP7. Nokia's decision to go WP7 is not the problem but dropping it all together(un-Sure cause Meego will still be in R&D said Elop)

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
3. Nokia will have complete control over WP7 on their phones.
Absolutely. To the limited extent that MS allows them of course.

Where's the proof that Elop, the board, and the shareholders who elected them are so stupid as to have this wonderful, polished, sexy, non-geeky, intuitive, buzz-worthy, bug-free OS 99.9% ready and they traded it for WP7 instead for no reason or vast conspiratorial ones?
Money does wonderfully corrupt things.
  • The board probably has been bought off, promised cushy non-executive positions on MS's board when they takeover the soon to be dead Nokia.
  • With enough money you can buy off the DoJ to call off their United State vs Microsoft case.
  • With enough money you can stuff enough stooges into the ISO standards approval process to get a non-implementable standard get voted in as a standard.

Sounds to me like Jobs shook things up like Elop's doing and neither are afraid to cut anything or anyone that hasn't lived up to expectations. They're also not afraid to use their previous contacts to bolster their company's products. I don't see why Mr. Elop is considered the opposite of Mr. Jobs.
Huge difference. Jobs created new Apple products and are not beholden to any other company (except that they had to buy off or scare away companies whose product names and trademarks (iphone, ipad) they had misappropriated). Elop is ditching entirely what Nokia has done for the past decade or more and going with a provenly failed OS. Sure Nokia hasn't been doing too well lately, but MS's mobile offerings have been doing worse, always.

IBM PC-compatible computers running a Microsoft operating system still rule the business and home computer markets.
See that? And why exactly is that a benefit to IBM? All those companies making the compatibles aren't paying any royalties to IBM. They wanted to change that way back when they introduced the MCA bus to replace ISA. The other PC makers wanted no part of it and went with Intel's PCI bus instead.

Lenovo bought IBM's laptop computer business and it's still a respected business laptop brand.
Lenevo only wanted the profitable and prestigious Thinkpad brand. IBM made Lenevo take the loss making PC division as well as part of the deal.

Last edited by kureyon; 2011-02-15 at 09:35.

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Zune is absolutely not a fail.
When Zune (the WMA playing device) was launched Ballmer said they would kick Apple's iPod butt. It failed, miserably.

WIndows Mobile 6.5 isn't the best thing Microsoft has produced
When WM6.5 was launched Ballmer said they would kick Apple's iPhone butt. It failed, miserably.

When WP7 was launched, ... you get the idea.

zune.

lol.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
in fact, up until the last few years Apple hardware and software have consistently been inferior to similar products in the PC world.
Huh? Surely it's the other way round? Up until they switched to commodity Intel hardware, Macs have consistently used more advanced hardware than WinTel machines. SCSI and firewire are a couple of examples.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
[...] Can you think of one major piece of software available on Windows, Mac and Linux that was written with Qt? I don't mean an open-source project; I mean a piece of commercial software.[...]
Yes... many.

Out of the top of my head: Opera, Maya, Google Earth, Skype, TeamSpeak.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip