Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
I wonder how many of those are active accounts and how many, further, overlap with Microsoft's exisiting services. Brand is about the only useful thing I see Microsoft getting out of it but seriously, is the name "Skype" worth $8.5 billion? I'm thinking this was a bone-headed move on Microsoft's part unless they got major undisclosed plans for them.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I don't know why there's such hate on Microsoft, I personally, have no problems using their software, also I'm really excited about this news because of mainly one thing.. Skype on the Xbox 360!! Now that's awesome!
Were you around for the late-90s and the antitrust trial of Microsoft? That's why no one trusts them.

Also, don't forget guys, that future Nokia phones are gonna be WP7 and if Skype is going to be integrated in future WP7 (ala Maemo) then that's a plus!
That's relevant if and only if you buy a WP7 device. I'm probably not the only person here who won't.

NOOOO!!! I hope they don't start intergrating that damned windows live ID rubbish with Skype!
IMHO, Skype would have worked well with Facebook.
Why M$, Y U NO FAIR?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
I'm OK with it if they don't f*ck it...

But they will...

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
NOOOO!!! I hope they don't start intergrating that damned windows live ID rubbish with Skype!
IMHO, Skype would have worked well with Facebook.
Why M$, Y U NO FAIR?
What is wrong with facebook using xmpp? If I used facebook, I would be furious, if they changed open protocol to skype :/

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I think everybody missed the alternative for skype

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Future Windows Phone 7 = Maemo

HUH????

Windows Phone ANYTHING != Maemo

Get it straight.
I guess forgetting to type the word style after the word Maemo changes the whole meaning.. lol I meant that it would be very nice to have Skype integrated into WP7 like how it is on Maemo..

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Were you around for the late-90s and the antitrust trial of Microsoft? That's why no one trusts them.

That's relevant if and only if you buy a WP7 device. I'm probably not the only person here who won't.

I was arounf at that time hehe and I know all about it, but I didn't say anything about that, all I said was that their software isn't as bad as how people make it seem like on the internet, that's all. And imo, I don't trust any huge company (Google, Apple.. etc aren't better.. I don't even trust Nokia)..

And yes, I said it would be a plus for WP7 owners (they'll have free OVI Maps and integrated Skype).. But I'm like you, I don't see myself using WP7 (at least not anytime soon)..

Last edited by bandora; 2011-05-10 at 20:31.

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
Maybe Facebook and Google an all other who put in a bit just tricked Microsoft into bying Skype at a very high price.

I dont trust Facebook, Apple or Google any more then Microsoft.

So for me - all I ever wanted was an N950 beeing an N900 with bigger screen, more power and flash 10.2.

Other then that I love Maemo so no need for Meego. Yes there is room for some inprovments but over all there is no phone on the market i would rather have.

Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I guess forgetting to type the word style after the word Maemo changes the whole meaning.. lol I meant that it would be very nice to have Skype integrated into WP7 like how it is on Maemo..

I was arounf at that time hehe and I know all about it, but I didn't say anything about that, all I said was that their software isn't as bad as how people make it seem like on the internet, that's all. And imo, I don't trust any huge company (Google, Apple.. etc aren't better.. I don't even trust Nokia)..

And yes, I said it would be a plus for WP7 owners (they'll have free OVI Maps and integrated Skype).. But I'm like you, I don't see myself using WP7 (at least not anytime soon)..
What bugs me is Skype is a way I keep in touch with people in different countries. I use Linux, just like I use Maemo, because I like the idea of choice and freedom. Both MS & Apple seem to have a business ethic & model I do not like, so I can choose an alternative. I can choose Linux.

With Skype becoming a MS division, I don't believe they will invest any time or energy in updating or maintaining Skype in a way that it will have any future on Linux, Maemo, MeeGo, etc. That effectively limits my freedom, eventually, to going without Skype, or having to buy into an 'ecosystem' I would rather not be a part of.

MS+Nokia+Skype may entail a huge shift in the way MS operates, in which case I would need to review my decision. I have changed my mind on things before, I can do it again. But right now, I feel this is bad news not just for Nokia Maemo device owners, but for anybody who tries to avoid Windows.

Google might be an alternative, one day, if it ever gets beyond the USA. Free calls is not the main benefit for me, it is being able to make cheap calls from one country to another, as well as being able to run video calls abroad.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/