Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am also one of those affected. I have problem since day one of my N800, http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=12863 thread #10. I have almost all the symptoms posters have reported.

There is DEFINITELY a software problem involved. My problem ususally solved by plug the tablet in for a few minutes, the blue light on the Dpad goes on, and, it will then boot up, most of the time. If you unplug the tablet at this stage, it will refuse to boot up. I usually left it plug in for at least 30 min and unplug, it will then boot up as usual. A couple of time, the browser screwed up, and crashed (I do alot video streaming), plug in does not work, after plug in for about 10 min. I took the battery out and put it back, it spring back in life as usual. Here is the catch, it is NOT random. It happened more than once and the few times, plug in AC wont work are those time the browser crashed, the N800 is in twilight zone, NO any button will response and that the AC plug in wont solve. This is what I conclude there is an element of software involvement.

I also tried almost everything people have reported, including press the button many many times. This I stopped doing now, as I do not want to wear out the button, but by doing that, I have now located a particular spot the button will turn the N800 on, if you holding the tablet face yourself, the power button is like a rectangle lying horizontally, it is the right lower corner always turn my tablet on when in trouble. This suggests the hardware side of the problem.

Finally, there is some magic about having the AC plug in. Whatever it is, my recommendation is plug in the tablet only for the purpose of charging, and unplug the AC first when attempts to turn on tablet. There is why, this always work, exchanged a fully charged battery always solve the problem as reported by Geneven
#14 Today, 12:09 PM
geneven
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2007

Re: The power on/off enigma..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For me, the procedure when I wake up and my N800 is completely dead is

--go to $10 battery charger and get fully charged spare battery.

--put battery that was in dead N800 in charger

--put fully charged battery.in N800

This has never failed to solve the problem.

[QUOTE]_______________________________________________

Comments? Concerns? Angry remarks?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-12-08 at 22:45.

A few things:

Nokia's customer service is really responsive and fast.
The only suggestion they had was to reflash the device with the latest firmware, which at the time it seemed to solve things (but that was a coincidence as you can read here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...2&postcount=18)
I have yet to report this again to Nokia.

Another thing: I only have problems with my N810, not the N800. I remember that my N800 had similar issues in the beginning, but that now works fine (even with OS2008). So I assume that the next firmware update will fix things on the N810. Or is that too much wishful thinking?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
The only suggestion they had was to reflash the device with the latest firmware, which at the time it seemed to solve things ..
I have already the latest firmware..OS2007 by now..still the monster is there
I have now located a particular spot the button will turn the N800 on, if you holding the tablet face yourself, the power button is like a rectangle lying horizontally, it is the right lower corner always turn my tablet on when in trouble. This suggests the hardware side of the problem.
I thinked maybe I'm nuts, but in some positions seems to turn on easily...the N8XX kamasutra!!!!!

My n810 is ON!!!!!!

Following previous suggestion of turning unit 90 degrees to the right and pressing the lower right edge of power button (using the stylus) for 3 seconds my unit powered up immediately!

I have a feeling that many of the trouble posts here lately would be solved by simply pressing the button in the right spot. Everyone turn your units off now and turn them back on on the first try by doing what I did! NO REPAIR NEEDED!!! Only problem is a touchy power button.

I AM SO HAPPY!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Congrats, you have found the G-spot!!

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
You rock, dude! If anyone needs a photo of exactly the spot I pressed to get my n810 to turn on on the first try, just email me.

Take care everyone, and good mosh pitting to you all...

All the glory for bunanson, the N8XX kamasutra promoter

Here here! Bunanson is a genius! Thank you Bunanson!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
If someone will throw a picture up I will try and do a Wiki article on the power issue. I would take a pic on my n800 except it's not Christmas yet!

Four Wiki articles and I have yet to lay my hands on an n800.

Then I remember 17 days till n800 day....

Nrune

I haven't found my N800's Gspot yet ...Maybe Ochrenaut could take a picture indicating the right spot on power switch..