so wont u be able to flash your 770 when ur mmc gotta crashed ?

I did these same instructions exactly - do I need to be able to boot from the mmc2 or from mmc? When I select mmc, I don't seem to have much memory left on my / drive. Booting from mmc2 fails...

I have a 770 with 2007HE.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dwmcqueen View Post
Booting from mmc2 fails...
Which means something went wrong. Either you made some typo somewhere or the cloning phase crashed in the middle. In that case start from step which does reformatting the partition (mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2) and then go to mounting and cloning phase. Make sure the cloning phase (tar .. | tar ..) does not crash, i.e. yo go back to shell prompt possibly with some warning about old time stamp. If osso xterm window closes itself it crashed and copy is not complete.

It was discussed many times, search this forum for "initfs_flash" and check various threads related to booting from mmc.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Fanoush, on a related note...

Do you plan on trying to offer an updated flasher/boot loader for OS2008 ?

I'm interesting in picking up the N810, but really unless I can make it to boot from the built-in 2GB flash I'll stick with my N800.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Do you plan on trying to offer an updated flasher/boot loader for OS2008 ?
Yes, definitely. Depends on when I get my hands on the OS2008 firmware image. Then it will take few hours or days or weeks :-)

I have already asked somewhere here in the forum but if anyone has access to some beta 2008 firmware (N810 and/or N800) I would be interested in initfs image or at least full list of files (cd /mnt/initfs ; ls -lR) and output of cat /mnt/initfs/linuxrc (i.e. whole linuxrc file).

As for booting from internal N810 2GB 'mmc card' - it should be possible. AFAIK it looks like normal SD/MMC card to linux kernel so it will be same like with real card. Except when blocks wear off or something else happens you cannot replace it easily. I wonder how it is done. Either they soldered some real card there (minus package perhaps) or it is something like embedded MMC mentioned here http://www.mmca.org/home The best would be if there is some real card and they just saved space on proper slot mechanism.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, definitely. Depends on when I get my hands on the OS2008 firmware image. Then it will take few hours or days or weeks :-)
I hope we're able to dual-boot between bora and chinook. Otherwise, I won't upgrade until key software is available. For me that would be FBReader

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I hope we're able to dual-boot between bora and chinook. Otherwise, I won't upgrade until key software is available. For me that would be FBReader
Sadly there is high chance it won't be possible. OS2008 uses newer kernel (2.6.21 vs 2.6.18) so initfs and kernel will be different. With current dual boot solution kernel and initfs is shared. If we are lucky it may be tweaked somehow, we'll see.

If there won't be easy solution there is still this idea of booting one linux kernel from another one (called kexec) which could make this possible. I know about it for long time but it is not exactly easy, so far there was not enough motivation and there always was lower hanging fruit to pick :-)

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-11-07 at 21:50.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Which means something went wrong. Either you made some typo somewhere or the cloning phase crashed in the middle. In that case start from step which does reformatting the partition (mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2) and then go to mounting and cloning phase. Make sure the cloning phase (tar .. | tar ..) does not crash, i.e. yo go back to shell prompt possibly with some warning about old time stamp. If osso xterm window closes itself it crashed and copy is not complete.

It was discussed many times, search this forum for "initfs_flash" and check various threads related to booting from mmc.
I saw no crashes - and every command was entered by cut and paste. I will redo from the beginning and see if it makes a difference.