Notices

Ok, ALBION.EXE is actually the same file in the demo and full version.

The XLDLIBS is the only folder that's needed to run the game, but an empty folder CURRENT needs to be created inside. And the game still crashes for me at exit (writing some info to error.log file) when I run it with empty SETUP.INI and only the XLDLIBS in the game root.

But the german demo file structure is very similar and it doesn't crash. I have currently no clue why. If anyone wants to fiddle with the files to find it out, please do

Bec, how did you do it that you have the XLDLIBS/CURRENT folder? Was it on the CD? (I think not) Can you try to run /usr/games/albion and see if it crashes for you? If it does, you should see something like:
Code:
info : Using config file: /home/user/.config/albion/albion.cfg
An error has occurred.
Please examine the file ERROR.LOG.

fatal: Main thread exit (exit code: 1)
the fatal: ... line is always there atm, thats not an error really Its the lines before that say it really crashed.

I installed this today but it doesn't work - starts up and then just shuts down.

Any clues?

Just follow the instructions precisely and it should work.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Not working for me. No matter what I put I get the error, unable to open <CD_PATH>/XLDLIBS/FONTS0.XLD

I copied the CD contents into the root albion directory, and tried setting the variable for CD_PATH in SETUP.INI to ., .\, and \, and blank to no avail. I must be fuxking up somewhere, give me some clues...

And before anyone asks, the game runs fine right off my SD card in dosbox. So I have all the data, its got to be something dumb. I set the game path to the MMC path, /media/mmc1/games/Albion (even though its FAT32). I have no freeking clue whats wrong.

Last edited by shinkamui; 2010-05-14 at 20:06.

I AM a TWIT.

SETUP.INI must be empty. Read teh instructions over and over before I realized that was my folly. Love the port. ALBION is next to Ultima 7 in my favorite cRPGs of all time list!

Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
I installed this today but it doesn't work - starts up and then just shuts down.

Any clues?
Run /usr/games/albion in the terminal and post the output..

Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
I AM a TWIT.

SETUP.INI must be empty. Read teh instructions over and over before I realized that was my folly. Love the port. ALBION is next to Ultima 7 in my favorite cRPGs of all time list!
Well, I'm glad you got it to run, but.. not really. It says for the full version you should set the CD path. Could you send me a `tree` of your game root directory? (tree seems to not be available on the N900 so maybe connect the USB as mass storage if you have a Linux PC?)

Also, how exactly did you copy the files? I take it you only have the XLDLIBS folder in the game root dir? Where did it come from?

I'd be also interested in your current output of /usr/games/albion (run, then exit the game and see the output). If it looks like this, it still crashes at exit:
Code:
An error has occurred.

I need to find some time to figure out the problem with the files and then simplify the file setup process...

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ /usr/games/albion
An error has occurred.

~ $
~ $

did a full install from cd in dosbox. then copied the cd root to the install dir. emptied setup.ini and it works.

game path specd from folder:

/media/mmc1/games/albion $ ls
ALBION.BAT ERROR.LOG README.TXT SETUP.old albion.exe
ALBION.VMC INSTALL.LBM ROOT VERSION.TXT setup.ini
DOS4GW.EXE INSTALL.SCR SAVES VIDEO setup.ini~
DRIVERS MAIN.EXE SETUP.EXE XLDLIBS temp
/media/mmc1/games/albion $ cd XLDLIBS/
/media/mmc1/games/albion/XLDLIBS $ ls
3DBCKGR0.XLD AUTOGFX0.XLD ICONDAT0.XLD MONGFX0.XLD SAMPLES1.XLD
3DFLOOR0.XLD BLKLIST0.XLD ICONGFX0.XLD MONGRP0.XLD SAMPLES2.XLD
3DFLOOR1.XLD COMBACK0.XLD INITIAL MONGRP1.XLD SCRIPT0.XLD
3DFLOOR2.XLD COMGFX0.XLD ITEMGFX MONGRP2.XLD SCRIPT2.XLD
3DOBJEC0.XLD CURRENT ITEMLIST.DAT NPCGR0.XLD SLAB
3DOBJEC1.XLD ENGLISH ITEMNAME.DAT NPCGR1.XLD SMLPORT0.XLD
3DOBJEC2.XLD EVNTSET0.XLD LABDATA0.XLD NPCKL0.XLD SMLPORT1.XLD
3DOBJEC3.XLD EVNTSET1.XLD LABDATA1.XLD PALETTE.000 SONGS0.XLD
3DOVERL0.XLD EVNTSET2.XLD LABDATA2.XLD PALETTE0.XLD SPELLDAT.DAT
3DOVERL1.XLD EVNTSET3.XLD MAPDATA1.XLD PARTGR0.XLD TACTICO0.XLD
3DOVERL2.XLD EVNTSET9.XLD MAPDATA2.XLD PARTKL0.XLD TRANSTB0.XLD
3DWALLS0.XLD FBODPIX0.XLD MAPDATA3.XLD PICTURE0.XLD WAVELIB0.XLD
3DWALLS1.XLD FONTS0.XLD MONCHAR0.XLD SAMPLES0.XLD
/media/mmc1/games/albion/XLDLIBS $

The Following User Says Thank You to shinkamui For This Useful Post:
Greate work. Albion works well on my device (I am on second island now ).
I read at the beginning "currently only supports one, so only music is played"
and I tried version from this site(upravena verze with cz lang.) http://albion-hra.wz.cz/
and I hear even more effects than just music.

Last edited by Tailbone; 2010-05-19 at 08:13.

@shinkamui: Thanks. It behaves the same for you then. I tried to sort out the error, but without success so far. I have one more idea to try, if I don't find out anything, I think I'm gonna apply the Ostrich Algorithm (since it seems to be working fine anyway).

@Tailbone: Zdravim You can hear the regular effects fine, its just some ambient midi effects, I'm not really sure what it could be, maybe something like a hammer hitting an anvil, etc. Not much can really be achieved using just midi instruments so I don't think we're missing much..

That site has pretty exhaustive info on Albion... Too bad its Czech only, though at least the maps here http://albion-hra.wz.cz/?id=9 could be useful to others too..

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post: