Active Topics

Notices

A little request: In the user configuration file, you can set the map folder and the tracklog folder to be anywhere. However, modrana insists in reading POI data and offline navigation data from the MyDocs/.maps/ folder. I think it would be more logical for modrana to read those from wherever the user has configured the maps folder to be. Especially since FAT32 doesn't support linking.

This should be an easy change. Pretty please? My MyDocs partition is kind of hosed...

Or at worst, add two additional configuration variables: nav_folder and poi_folder.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-31 at 01:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Pretoria, South Africa
I have Modrana installed for years but it never worked. I keep updating in the hope that it may start working, but no cigar.

I have the latest version installed and the problem is the maps never show. All i get is blank gray screen. All the files are at /MyDocs/.maps/.

I tried changing from sqlite to files as suggested a few threads ago, but did not make a difference. I have attached two log files. Can anyone please assist me.

Thank you in advance.
Sunil
Attached Files
File Type: gz log1.tar.gz (17.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: gz log2.tar.gz (4.5 KB, 58 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sunil View Post
I have Modrana installed for years but it never worked. I keep updating in the hope that it may start working, but no cigar.

I have the latest version installed and the problem is the maps never show. All i get is blank gray screen. All the files are at /MyDocs/.maps/.

I tried changing from sqlite to files as suggested a few threads ago, but did not make a difference. I have attached two log files. Can anyone please assist me.

Thank you in advance.
Sunil
1. If you are connected to the internet, do you see maps? It sounds as if you are only having problems with offline maps, but I'd like to be sure.
2. What map files do you have, and how did you get them?
3. Are you sure that the maps you have selected in modrana are the same maps you have offline data for?
4. Are you sure you are not trying to use a zoom level for which you don,t have tiles?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
On a freshly flashed N900 with CSSU installed, I've installed Modrana. However, when I open Modrana-QML from the applications menu, the old GTK+ interface appears. If I run modrana-qml from the terminal to see debugging output, all of the messages refer to GTK+, there is no mention of QT at all. What could be the cause of this?

I see that modrana-qml is just a bash script with the following contents:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /opt/modrana
PYTHONPATH=/opt/qtm12/lib/python2.5/site-packages:${PYTHONPATH} python modrana.py -u QML:harmattan -d n900
I do indeed have qtm libs in that directory. Why isn't modrana-qml seeing them or acting on them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@malfunctioning, sunil said the files are physically there but not displayed. That sounds like a rendering problem, not downloading. Just in case, I would start by going to MyDocs/.maps and checking a few random maps from there if they can be displayed with stock Photos app. They are just plain JPG, so that shouldn't be a problem. If they still show as grey squares and especially if they are all the same size, then it is a download problem indeed. Something somewhere is blocking your maps downloads. Do you live in Syria, Iraq or one of other "restricted" countries?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@malfunctioning, sunil said the files are physically there but not displayed. That sounds like a rendering problem, not downloading. Just in case, I would start by going to MyDocs/.maps and checking a few random maps from there if they can be displayed with stock Photos app. They are just plain JPG, so that shouldn't be a problem. If they still show as grey squares and especially if they are all the same size, then it is a download problem indeed. Something somewhere is blocking your maps downloads. Do you live in Syria, Iraq or one of other "restricted" countries?
But if he can see the maps when he is online, then this has nothing to do with his country potentially blocking downloads. He just has to turn on the setting to save the tiles locally as they are downloaded during use.

Or maybe your point is that he is indeed in a blocked country, and that he must have downloaded these mapfiles some other way. In that case, good thinking. It hadn't dawned on me some countries would care about that stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Pretoria, South Africa
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick reply.
1. I connect to internet, but still grey screen. I tryed downloading maps within 5km, +1, -1, wich completes successfully but does still not display.
2. I have 3 folders in .maps - movav_data (empty), OpenStreetMapI (lots of folders & files) and OpenSteetMapII (with only one file - lookup.sqlite 4kb).
3. The map files are in the folders (.png) and I can see them on Photo app.
4. I also have Marble installed and it works just fine, Its just that I dont like using it. I have been using the Stock Map application instead.
5. I live in South African and have no download restriction at all.
6. Store Downloaded Tiles is turned on.
7. Zoom level was set on 18.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Sunil

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, that sounds like the files are being downloaded fine. For the completer piece of mind, just check the maps downloaded at your current zoom level (MyDocs/.maps/OpenStretMapI/18/...) are shown correctly in Photos. Otherwise it looks like a render problem in Modrana.

The last thing I would try before blaming Modrana is, delete all the maps (just rename OpenStreetMapI and OpenStreetMapII to something else while Modrana is not running), then start Modrana and let the maps download again. There may be some weird caching problem.

I don't see anything suspicious in your log files, BTW, but I am hardly an expert.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sunil View Post
1. I connect to internet, but still grey screen.
If you can't see the maps when connected to the internet, then you seem to have a more basic problem.

It goes without saying, but I'll ask anyway. You do get a satellite lock, don't you?

First, I would change the map configuration (only set 1 layer, and change the map provider to something else, for example Google Maps).

And if what pichlo and I recommended doesn't yield results, then uninstall and install modrana again.

1. sudo gainroot
2. apt-get remove modrana
3. <Move your modrana data folder somewhere else, or delete it>
4. apt-get purge modrana
5. Go to Application Manager and disable extras testing and extras devel repositories.
6. apt-get install modrana

(Note: 5. is optional, but I recommend it, since I'm still using the "stable" version of modrana and it works fine. Besides, you can upgrade later on).

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-11-03 at 14:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
On a freshly flashed N900 with CSSU installed, I've installed Modrana. However, when I open Modrana-QML from the applications menu, the old GTK+ interface appears. If I run modrana-qml from the terminal to see debugging output, all of the messages refer to GTK+, there is no mention of QT at all. What could be the cause of this?

I see that modrana-qml is just a bash script with the following contents:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /opt/modrana
PYTHONPATH=/opt/qtm12/lib/python2.5/site-packages:${PYTHONPATH} python modrana.py -u QML:harmattan -d n900
I do indeed have qtm libs in that directory. Why isn't modrana-qml seeing them or acting on them?
I don't know, but modrana QML is deprecated, to the best of my knowledge. Everybody seems to use modrana (no QML).

It's the same thing with cuteTube and cuteTube QML.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps