BASIC CATALOGS

ACTIVE CATALOGS

DISABLED CATALOGS

Credits for information goes to:
Moderator-"thedead1440" http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88707

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Montevideo
Hi

Are the catalogs of maemo 5 still working in nokia N900? I tried to find and application in the administrator of apps and I only see a little number of them, not all like year ago. The system says mistake with the catalogs with the updating.
Lately I had problems to see a video downloaded in mp4 format. I know the N900 can process mp4 videos without problem, what can I do?
Thanks
Gabriel

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi gabrielw,

the catalogs should work; I used Extras, Extras-Testing and Extras-Devel a few days ago... What is the "mistake" your system says...?

Mp4 video: not all videos are playable as it depends on quality. Try to convert the video to 800x480 or something like that; or try to play it with mplayer. If mplayer plays it, you can check if there is any slow motion or something (mplayer even warns you if your system is too slow to play the file correctly).

Cheers,

jm

Hi

I checked the addresses of the catalogs again and with looking for updates the message was "List of apps updated partially. Some catalogs are not available. Check de details of the catalogs"
I have the Mplayer movie player and the Extra decoders support and the KMplayer two. In the default media player of the nokia n900, when I download a mp4 video I canīt see it, but the old mp4 videos yes. How can I use the Mplayer movie player or the KMplayer to play a video downloaded in the N900?
I need a help, please.
Thanks
Gabriel

Hi,

well, the catalogs should match exactly the ones aovide wrote in the first post (basic and active catalogs; extras-devel is for development(al packages)) mainly, so be careful. Are you on the stock 1.3 or on CSSU...?

I use mplayer from command line; it is more effective for me when you would like to set some details. So simply type in terminal "mplayer /the_path_where_your_file_is/file". Of course if you are in that folder with terminal (example: cd /home/user/MyDocs/.videos) then it is enough to type just the filename. If you use the terminal it has the advantage that you will see if something is wrong; mplayer will give you an error message.
KMPlayer is just a frontend for mplayer so you can use that too; just open the file with it. In that way you doesn't have to type, but you won't see any message if there is something wrong.

P.S.: Mplayer doesn't really need the extra decoder package because it supports tons of file formats by default...

Where do you download your files...? Maybe tracker doesn't index them so that is why the stock media player doesn't see them. Or you have to wait a little for tracker to index the file and then media player to refresh its catalog. Try to put your files to the Videos folder. If it doesn't see, then I recommend leaving the files in the Videos folder and restart your device. Maybe it will take some time after restarting to see any files because tracker will run and the media player refreshes its catalog...

Life with the stock apps doesn't always easy with maemo that is why I use mplayer for example...

Cheers,

jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2015-02-14 at 18:21.

Hi

Iīm in the PR1.3 version of maemo 5 but for example the OVI catalog
with the above address canīt be updated. What can be that?
Thanks
Gabriel

Hi,

I've never used Ovi catalog from app manager; I recommend using OVI with its dedicated button, or through the browser. If I would like to be honest, I have to say, that I used OVI only for the panorama application to be installed, and nothing more. I used the extras catalogs to install apps...

Cheers,

jm

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
same here ovi not refreshed logs say less than 120 bytes transfrd in last 120 seconds

Hi Justmemory and Nokiabot

Thanks for all !
Gabriel

The Following User Says Thank You to gabrielw For This Useful Post: