So I've been complaining about my N900 for months now. Not because of the phone itself, but because of the craptastic OS and the lack of support from Nokia.

Well I finally did something about it. I bought a Motorola Cliq today, and I am selling my N900. After playing with the Cliq for all of 45 minutes, I have zero regrets about making the change. Its amazing what a decent OS can do for a device. Despite the hardware on the N900 being far superior to that of the Cliq, the Cliq is snappier to use, and because its running Android, it just works.

As an illustration, I opened up the maps app and it found my location in a few seconds. Then I searched for something and, unlike the N900, it didn't give me a location in Ohio (I am in NYC incedentally). "Little" things like that really turned me off from the N900.

Well, at least I'm not eating a huge loss, as I bought mine second hand.

So this is a kind of farewell. Some of you on this board are extremely helpful and I thank you. Many others (and you know who you are) are simply fanboys who can't let a single criticism of Maemo, the device, or Nokia appear in a thread without attacking someone. I would especially like to thank the NITDroid people, as you made my last month or so with the N900 bearable.

Live strong and prosper.
Techngro

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Well done you... do you want a medal or something!

So let me get this straight...you didn't like the OS, fine, each to their own. But how do you justify your claim/oppinion that maemo5 is craptastic?
The openness is brilliant, any problems you had, I'm sure could have been fixed.

Your point about maps is fair, OVI maps 1.1 or whatever we have is very poor. Sygic on the other hand is brilliant, I find it faster than my tom tom and simply don't bother with a dedicated sat nav any more.

I really hope you don't think I'm a fanboi, I hate Nokia too for their lack of support and general crapness but the N900 is a truly wicked device. There is so much you can do with this little thing.

If you just want a phone then fine, I'd say this isn't the phone for you. If on the other hand you want a netbook/call and text making device/addiction/vice/love? then there is no better, nay, no OTHER.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Very brave of you to post this here. If you are lucky this thread will just die. Otherwise you are going to get lynched.

Shame the N900 did not work out for you. Know what you mean though. Maemo 5 is a bug fest and too many things that don't work well. Disagree with you that it is a crap OS though. If you want a phone that just works then yeah you'd hate it. If like me you enjoy cutomising and tweaking you'd love it. That is why I can never recommend the N900 to anyone other than my enemies but for me I absolutely love it. Yes I wished it could be smooth and like HTC Desire for example but the ability to tweak everything more than makes up for that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
If you bought a Cliq and you don't regret it, then the n900 was never for you to begin with. What a piece of **** that phone is...

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
when all is said and done, I wanted a bash shell to learn scripting in my pocket (as of pr 1.3 I now have user and root running bash and all gnu (non busy box) stuff at the front of my path. I also wanted to have a nice ereader which I did not have. Rob1n is fixing that daily with fbreader.

funny thing is even with nokia being a disgrace for the way they have supported the device, I don't see anything else that could fit my needs.

oh and just because it has to be said (its a tradition around here)...

don't let the door hit you on the way out. best of luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
I can sympathize with the OP. I too may get rid of my N900, but not because I fell in love with an Android. The reason is rather I am going back to my N810, which has been gathering dust for a few months. Although it is not perfect (can only stream a handful of live TV shows reasonably well), it fulfills all my needs satisfactorily: Web browsing, RSS, streamtuner, MPlayer/Media player for pre-recorded videos, DialCentral, FBReader, SDict Viewer, Gjiten, mClock, etc. Not to mention that there is no need to zoom in and out all the time, and copy-paste is straightforward, etc. Really the only advantage that N900 has (for me personally) is the faster processor that streams most mms feeds smoothly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
If you bought a Cliq and you don't regret it, then the n900 was never for you to begin with. What a piece of **** that phone is...
Well, many people keep claiming the N900 wasn't a phone--it's a computer, so of course it's a crap phone. I agree, though, if what he wanted was a good, solid PHONE with some computer-like functionality and apps, the Androids are far better for him.

Welcome to the Android army, techngro. I hope we meet up again sometime in those forums.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
the fun has just begun.

...and its a phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
If you don't like maemo then why did you buy n900? Usually people research first and then buy the product, not the other way around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:

Tags
finally!, good riddance, pointlessness, shed customers, thank god