Here's an interesting insightful article about the bureaucracy within Nokia that practically strangles engineers.
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Kno.../1135260596609

No wonder their OS's are so halfbaked and take aeons to finish.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to xenkof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
knock, knock...where is the N9?

nice paper

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
my next phone is iphone5

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
The scent of a freshly-baked apple pie wafts through the apartment kitchen
I mean, please!!!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The former product development manager sips his coffee and recalls his feelings:
"It made you feel like shouting out: 'For Christ's sake, can't you just bloody DO it and stop all this passing the buck!'. And there were many chains of events just like this one, and worse besides."
In other words, Nokia's product development process was bureaucratic, stiff, and painfully slow.
Nokia is run by VOGONS! Certainly would explain my phone support experience with Nokia.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nokia is run by VOGONS! Certainly would explain my phone support experience with Nokia.
If that was true it would come with a complete library of Vogon poetry and the necessary neural inputs required to "enjoy" it.

I suppose Nokia is not that cruel, however

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
Here's an interesting insightful article about the bureaucracy within Nokia that practically strangles engineers.
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Kno.../1135260596609

No wonder their OS's are so halfbaked and take aeons to finish.
Large corporations do things that don't always make sense. Of course Nokia didn't innovate from a UI perspective over the past couple of years. That doesn't mean they've been doing nothing. Often large corporations have to position themselves. Just because you know what to do doesn't mean you do it quickly. Apple as ~35K employees, Nokia ~ 125K. Which company do you think takes longer to make decisions?

Most people agree if Nokia's strategy with QT works it was a good decision. Apple is already sliding in smartphone market share. They cant even release the white iPhone 4. Nokia released the N8 in several colors with no problem.

Large companies make decisions years in the future forecasting where they want to be. It might not help business in the short run, but sometimes you have to walk before you run.

Last edited by theflew; 2010-10-19 at 14:28.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Large corporations do things that don't always make sense. Of course Nokia didn't innovate from a UI perspective over the past couple of years. That doesn't mean they've been doing nothing - no. Often large corporations have to position themselves. Just because you know what do doesn't mean you do it quickly. Apple as ~35K employees, Nokia ~ 125K. Which company do you think takes longer to make decisions?
Couple, you say? Heheh

By contrast, Apple as ~35K employees, Nokia ~125K. Which company do you think is worth more? Makes more profit? Has more cashflow?

No really--I'm asking if you know the answer. I don't really know. I'm just saying that I'd expect Nokia would--but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Some good insights here but I get the feeling that the columnist once had greater expectations for writing career. It really does read like Thompsons take on the rise and fall of Kane just before we all found out that the sledge did it.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Fud fud fud fud fud fap fap fap

Tags
fanboy fap, heyheyheygoodby