Posts: 26 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Where do I live?
Good afternoon,

Yesterday I was trying to install Git in my Nokia N900 (probably from a wrong repo), but I wasn't successful. In the process, I had a terrible idea: I ran
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
, and my phone literally self-destroyed: it deleted Python, my libraries, all my system and non-system apps and suddenly died, it just turned off.

Yesterday night I was able to turn my phone on, but after 30 seconds in the Nokia screen it just turns off; also it could be recognized by my PC in Update mode, being able to reboot it (but not flashing it).

Today, giving it another try, I wasn't able to connect it to Upgrade mode. I used to get a descriptor error, but now it just doesn't connect.

I guess the reason could be one of these:
  • Broken system (I doubt it, but the possibility is there)
  • Outdated Flasher, although I have tried it in GNU/Linux 64 bits, Windows 10 and Windows XP. Just a supposition...
  • Being optimistic, (but also my main possibility), maybe my battery has run out and that's the reason it doesn't connect.

As extra info, I can say that, when connecting, my phone LED has an orange light (no blinking), and 15 seconds later it deploys a non-lighted, Nokia logo screen which loops infinitely with a a small vibration with frequence of 10 seconds (being the orange light always on).

Is this normal? Is there any solution for this? Did my N900 just died?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cHeXs7eR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Happened to me to a long time a go!
never do
apt-get dist-upgrade
on a phone, only
apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade upgraded on package which is not compatible with other packages, and you got a warning from apt-get which packages will be upgraded and which deleted.
You answered: Yes ;-)

Now you need to reflash.
Content of the Internal eMMC will not be deleted, but all other things.....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post
apt-get dist-upgrade upgraded on package which is not compatible with other packages, and you got a warning from apt-get which packages will be upgraded and which deleted.
You answered: Yes ;-)
That's right! I thought it was going to upgrade correctly after deleting all those files, but I almost had to change my pants when I saw my calendar, phone, and even desktop manager being literally blown up.

Now you need to reflash.
Content of the Internal eMMC will not be deleted, but all other things.....
The main problem is that I can't reflash, as my phone is no longer detected by my computer (however, it did yesterday!)

The Following User Says Thank You to cHeXs7eR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
As explit said, reflash should fix it. In addition to that, I'll share some more or less related pieces of advice I've gathered over the years (for the times after the reflash):
  • install BackupMenu and backup the phone (using a MicroSD card). I learned this the hard way and had to let go of my first N900. The USB port may become loose and then BackupMenu might be your only way to reflash.
  • take a rasp tool and shave the small anchors off all of your charging microUSB cables (for the reasons above)
  • if/once you have more than one battery, think about buying an external battery charger. It may prolong the USB port life as well.
  • check the repositories you have on your device (especially after the reflash). Some Nokia repositories are no longer alive so you will need to replace them with community mirrors.
  • try CSSU or CSSU Testing (or their Thumb versions)
  • use the Faster Application Manager instead of (or in addition to) the built in App. Manager (or command line). It shows you the memory available, is much faster, searches descriptions and can also have different set of repositories than apt-get (so you can test more unstable repositories there without having to worry about breaking the system by an apt-get upgrade).
  • try EasyDebian. Sometimes it is easier and safer to have newer command line tools and libraries in chroot rather than installing them on the device (where you might run out of memory or end up in dependency hell).

Good luck with your new device!

EDIT: Didn't see your above post before. Follow the steps here carefully and try different desktop operating systems for it if not successful. I don't think that a dist-upgrade would cause an absolute non-flashable brick. Also read this discussion where people had the same problem.

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-07-15 at 20:17.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Thank you, I will try the links you gave me I am using GNU/Linux in my PC, as I'm having lots of problems with Windows drivers. Anyway, reading this thread made me hopeful again. I'm ordering a wall charger in eBay, I'll tell you all when it arrives to see if my phone comes back to life.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
never do
apt-get dist-upgrade
on a phone, only
apt-get upgrade
Just for clarification:
This has nothing to do with the N900 being a phone, or Maemo running on one.
If dist-upgrade causes troubles, this means your repositories are messed up (what the Maemo repos have always been right from the beginning btw).
A dist-upgrade on a properly maintained set of repos will cause no problems, no matter on which hardware it's running.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
It could be a battery problem.
I know when I hooked up a battery to mine without the third pin, it would do the same (orange light, boot to logo, vibrate, reboot, over and over)

But it could also not be :P
  • Translink Brisbane script (time to bus/train)
  • Commbank client (check balance)
  • Uber (basic client, request ride, etc)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Fortunately, it was just a battery problem. I got a spare wall charger and reflashed. All OK and ready to go, thanks for your answers!

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just for clarification:
If dist-upgrade causes troubles, this means your repositories are messed up (what the Maemo repos have always been right from the beginning btw).
A dist-upgrade on a properly maintained set of repos will cause no problems, no matter on which hardware it's running.
Good to know. Now I have the default repo list; I'll try again...

EDIT: It asks me again to uninstall my whole system

Last edited by cHeXs7eR; 2016-07-16 at 21:35.

Originally Posted by cHeXs7eR View Post
Good to know. Now I have the default repo list; I'll try again...

EDIT: It asks me again to uninstall my whole system
As sule Said

Just for clarification:

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post: