Posts: 36 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
It just bothers me when people start their own topics to tell how much they hate their N900 because of the lack of portrait mode and MMS
Yep. I have nothing against about discussing the wanted/missing features but the problem is that there are at least few topics a day with pretty much the same message that has been discussed a million times already.

I can understand that people feel frustrated if the device isn't what they expected, but at the same time there's frustration building in these forums with endless amounts of these threads.

Perhaps having a sticky "Yes, it doesn't have portrait and MMS, discuss it here" would help. :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fouro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
dont blame people for thinking the n900 is a phone and that nokia is a phone manufacturer! its an easy mistake to make in my opinion!
It doesn't matter how Nokia announce or market it. The vast majority of people will assume it's a phone.
I'm fairly certain that every conversation with someone new who spots my 770 or n810 included the line "No, it's not a phone", closely followed by "It's still not a phone".
The N900, having GSM hardware inside just confuses people even more.

It's easy to blame Nokia for people not paying attention to what they and others say about the device.

So many trolls posting here since it launched. Why do they even bother. :P Mods should just go on a locking spree

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
This community is just becoming a place to vent their complaints, what has happened to the community. I bet it wasn't like this with just the first internet tablet users using it.
I'm seriously starting to wonder if Nokia-competitors are using these forums for black-ops negative marketing. I'm sure that Google's Android staff would "do no evil" but it must be very tempting for, say, Samsung or Apple sales people - or just fanbois - to come in here and slag off the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ralphb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vasputin View Post
everything works fine with my NOKIA N97.

Thats quite funny in itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gk@Pgqr* For This Useful Post:
I can understand the frustration on your part vasputin, i would expect alarms to play on the speakers no matter what.
Jumping into a forum announcing that it sucks however is not the way to enter a community.

Instead you could have looked through the bug list. If you did you'd have found this little gem on which you could have voted. This way this phone, and this community works.
So instead of complaining, try helping out. It takes a bit more effort i know, but it gets you better results.

I've ofcourse done this work for you and voted for this bug to be looked at. I suggest you and the other people experiencing this do the same (les allready has).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to synthaxx For This Useful Post:
I guess I am sticking my head in the lions den with this post, considering the treatment the first writer is getting. But here I go: I too have huge problems with my N900.

Just received it yesterday, and have been playing alot with it since then. I am constantly getting unexpected reboots, and in different application, email, maps, browser, photo album, music player, hermes, radio, gpodder etc, etc.

Am I just unlucky with my unit, or are other users experiencing something similar?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fishon View Post
Am I just unlucky with my unit, or are other users experiencing something similar?
Welcome.

Unfortunately other people are experiencing this as well.
There's also an accompanying bug report currently marked critical.

Originally Posted by schlinkey View Post
So many trolls posting here since it launched. Why do they even bother. :P Mods should just go on a locking spree
Is the original poster trolling? He may have worded it wrong, but it does sound like Nokia have again launched a product with major bugs. I gave up on my N97 after seeing that the 2.0 update still left a lot to be desired (Sold it for a €250 loss), and placed an order in early October for a N900 - Nokia having assured me it would launch at the end of October.

I'm listening carefully to all the bug reports (portrait mode bug, mic bug, bluetooth bug) with €600 in my hands. If I read that these bugs are being exaggerated/resolved, I'll go for the N900 with gusto. If not, Android is my next phone.

There's no such thing as a netbook with phone functionality. If Nokia expect the public to believe that one in order to explain some phone function shortcomings, then their smartphone market share will continue to fall - of course it's a phone, and it's what the majority of N900 owners are buying it for - hence the increased interest vis-a-vis the previous N700/800/810.

Although he may have come across as a moany little git (Aw, jus' kidding), the poster is right - if I understand his complaints. If connected to a bluetooth headset, the ringtone should be audible through the phone's speakers, not the headset. If left connected to the headset during the night, any alarms should still come through the phone's speaker.

Can any other N900 owner actually confirm this?

Yes, this and other bugs will be fixed with updates, but surely after the problems with the initial N97 firmwares (and subsequent public reaction), Nokia would have been determined to start the N900 with a wave of positive reaction?

Still want the damned thing though - i'm currently in France, where any possible N900 will have an "azerty" keyboard, so I'll continue waiting.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
This whole "it is not a phone thing" charade is ridiculous, as it is just a software issue to implement all phone functions and somewhat implies that the Nokia guys have been lazy. However, I am fine with waiting a while to get the other stuff done. Nokia go.

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen