Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Hello I am interested in getting Ubuntu Netbook Edition on my N900 natively in a dual-boot configuration.

I know Ubuntu will run, maybe just a terminal command to install the Netbook Edition layout (im not too keen on LXDE)

As far as I reckon the two official armel builds of Ubuntu Netbook Edition will not run on the N900, but at least they prove that all the applications that able to build for armel.

What about installing one of those ulv overclocked kernels in ubuntu on the N900? to improve battery life and performance.

And I also reckon it will take some time before any alternative OS on the N900 will have phone capability.

Thanks for any input

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
I would love to have the ability to dual-boot into Ubuntu, but I don't see this happening. I would be more interested in the option to dual-boot into Android - which would open up the option to run Android's apps.

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to do in Ubuntu that Maemo does not allow?

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
I would love to have the ability to dual-boot into Ubuntu, but I don't see this happening. I would be more interested in the option to dual-boot into Android - which would open up the option to run Android's apps.

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to do in Ubuntu that Maemo does not allow?
ubuntu already runs natively on the n900 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMwlchuqsXo
And I beleive the Gnome based Ubuntu Netbook Edition desktop would work better, the user interface is optimized for small screens and few cpu cycles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22iFG5D3kXU

Maemo can do a lot of things if you compile a bunch of already released binaries, but It could do a lot more if you installed Ubuntu on it (assuming that all the drivers will work soon, you could use it as a guitar tabulatur notebook, and run loads more apps without compiling them)

It would be awesome to see phone and sms integrated with the envelope icon on the ubuntu netbook edition

EDIT:
also the scrolling in the menu in Ubuntu Netbook Edition will work well on a touch screen, have just tried it with a mouse but drag and throw scrolling works nice

and apps that does not start right away will have a splash screen automatically

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-04-27 at 00:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
ubuntu already runs natively on the n900 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMwlchuqsXo
And I beleive the Gnome based Ubuntu Netbook Edition desktop would work better, the user interface is optimized for small screens and few cpu cycles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22iFG5D3kXU

Maemo can do a lot of things if you compile a bunch of already released binaries, but It could do a lot more if you installed Ubuntu on it (assuming that all the drivers will work soon, you could use it as a guitar tabulatur notebook, and run loads more apps without compiling them)

It would be awesome to see phone and sms integrated with the envelope icon on the ubuntu netbook edition
Thanks - did not know. Will have to investigate....

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I am working on getting Ubuntu 10.04 booting on my N900 and so far i am able to boot into a console login, but my system shuts down due to the twl4030 hardware watchdog (I'm using the same watchdog package that Jebba's fedora12 port is using, however i seem to be having some issues with /etc/init.d/n900_wd setup - /dev/twl4030_wdt doesn't seem to exist early in the boot process when it should, thus /usr/sbin/wd_keepalive can't ping twl4030, leaving twl4030 to assume that the system needs to shut down). I'll hopefully be able to resolve this problem soon, so we can 'get the ball rolling' on Ubuntu-N9X0.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I am working on getting Ubuntu 10.04 booting on my N900 and so far i am able to boot into a console login, but my system shuts down due to the twl4030 hardware watchdog (I'm using the same watchdog package that Jebba's fedora12 port is using, however i seem to be having some issues with /etc/init.d/n900_wd setup - /dev/twl4030_wdt doesn't seem to exist early in the boot process when it should, thus /usr/sbin/wd_keepalive can't ping twl4030, leaving twl4030 to assume that the system needs to shut down). I'll hopefully be able to resolve this problem soon, so we can 'get the ball rolling' on Ubuntu-N9X0.
Will you be interested in trying to get the Netbook Edition desktop running? I just have thought about that for two weeks now, and I cant get it out of my head how awesome it would be if in fact it worked well, seeing that the LXDE which has a similar layout to Gnome runs well, I dont see how it would not function relatively mostly as expected.

EDIT:
Also I see in the link in your sig that gnome seems to looks nice too on the small screen

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-04-27 at 00:33.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Will you be interested in trying to get the Netbook Edition desktop running? I just have thought about that for two weeks now, and I cant get it out of my head how awesome it would be if in fact it worked well, seeing that the LXDE which has a similar layout to Gnome runs well, I dont see how it would not function relatively mostly as expected.
Sure! - It would be interesting to see how well the Netbook Remix desktop performs on the device.

EDIT:
Also I see in the link in your sig that gnome seems to looks nice too on the small screen
Indeed
Here are some more screenshots taken from my N800 running Ubuntu-N8X0 if you haven't seen them :

My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Looks great! Do you think it would be possible to dual-boot off the microSDHC?

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
Looks great! Do you think it would be possible to dual-boot off the microSDHC?
Yup - that's what i'm doing right now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Btw, here is my highly modified /etc/init.d/n900_wd script that is supposed to launch the watchdog daemon; do any of you that are good at init scripts/runlevels see a fault in this?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#/etc/init.d/n900_wd: start rx51 hw watchdog service.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          n900_wd
# Short-Description: Start rx51 hw watchdog service.
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs
# X-Start-Before:    $all
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      
### END INIT INFO

[ -x /usr/sbin/wd_keepalive ] || exit 0

RETVAL=0
PROG=wd_keepalive
PIDFILE=/var/run/wd_keepalive.pid
LOCKFILE=/var/lock/subsys/n900_wd

return_failure(){
  echo -n "Starting ${0} failed"
}

return_sucsess(){
  echo -n "Starting ${0} sucseeded"
}

start(){
  echo -n "Starting ${PROG}..."
  /usr/sbin/${PROG} -c /etc/watchdog-omap.conf
  RETVAL=$?
  [ ${RETVAL} -ne 0 ] && (return_failure; echo; exit ${RETVAL})
  /usr/sbin/${PROG} -c /etc/watchdog-twl4030.conf
  RETVAL=$?
  [ ${RETVAL} -eq 0 ] && touch ${LOCKFILE}
  [ ${RETVAL} -eq 0 ] && return_sucsess
  [ ${RETVAL} -ne 0 ] && return_failure
  echo
  exit ${RETVAL}
}

stop(){
  rm -rf ${LOCKFILE} ${PIDFILE}
}

restart(){
  stop
  start
}

case ${1} in
start)
  start
;;
stop)
  stop
;;
restart)
  restart
;;
*)
  echo "Usage: ${0} {start|stop|restart}"
  exit 1
;;
esac
heres my runlevle setup:

Code:
update-rc.d n900_wd start 09 2 3 4 5 .
/etc/watchdog-twl4030.conf:

Code:
watchdog-device		= /dev/twl4030_wdt
interval		= 10
realtime		= yes
priority		= 1
/etc/watchdog-omap.conf:

Code:
watchdog-device		= /dev/watchdog
interval		= 10
realtime		= yes
priority		= 1

Last edited by b-man; 2010-04-27 at 01:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post: