Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My comments:

- No "gold posts" on tmo. The "thanks" karma is good enough.
- More karma for wiki edits (not sure what the current metric is, but it needs a bit more per edit, maybe 10%-25% more?)
- Implement this ASAP!

EDIT: Dave Neary has made a good proposal on the mailing list for wiki edits:
I still think that posts like this should be rewarded more than just the thanks karma, but thats my opinion.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=165586&postcount=1

EDIT
oh, and this tooooo

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=233091&postcount=1
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-01-19 at 00:30.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The problem with anything like this is that it'd require a ground-up reimplementation of karma. Personally, I think karma should have a half-life and the contributions people made back in 2005 are less valuable today than the contributions they're making now.
Are we talking about the same thing? Uwe's suggestion was to just count the first wiki edit per page per day (of course multiple pages are multiple instances). I agree with the half-life proposal but there's no logical connection here.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Really, we want karma to encourage more numerous, but smaller, edits.
Should wiki edits that were flagged "minor" receive less (or no) karma though? I check that box for almost all of my edits, as they're mostly of the grammar, spelling, and sentence flow variety. (Yes, I know. I'm the "horrible fairy".)

I don't feel I deserve karma for that work. In fact, I've hoped that by checking the "minor" box, I'd avoid any karma gain. I don't really know how that part of the calculation works now though or how it should work in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Should wiki edits that were flagged "minor" receive less (or no) karma though? I check that box for almost all of my edits, as they're mostly of the grammar, spelling, and sentence flow variety. (Yes, I know. I'm the "horrible fairy".)
They're not currently counted any differently, we discussed it when the wiki karma plugin was initially put together. I'm not sure if MediaWiki actually differentiates between regular and minor edits when counting total user edits. . . .

Basically, the wiki system makes it rather difficult to quantify the value of any individual edit. Technical issues aside, character count doesn't really tell you anything meaningful and you can't usually rely on editors to consistently check the appropriate boxes when submitting a change. This is no different than Talk, the lists or Bugzilla. The karma multiplier just needs to be kept sane to account for this.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-01-19 at 00:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Trying to add something useful to this discussion, but most of my ideas keep centering around how 'karma' seems to encourage grandstanding or individuals vs community building. So my feeling is cart before the horse or at least as texrat and others have mentioned we're deciding out of sequence possibly here.

To be more specific on this particular topic I would question whether it is really appropriate that Testing, which should encompass several manual checks and not an insignificant time commitment (until the 'monkey tests' are automated) should equate less than someone who writes a comment or even a post that can say something as unhelpful as WTF this <insert feature> suxors? I'm not aware of how to 'bury' a post as mentioned in the original list, but I would say there are lots and lots of posts (that would be earning karma apparently) that are not helpful and do nothing to further the community or any agenda other than the poster's ranting.

As other have mentioned in most systems where you 'reward' something based purely on numbers, then you'll definately get more of those numbers, however you'd better make sure that more quantity vs quality is what you really want.

And as a final aside that veers off topic, but needs to be dealt with for this to matter, is it took me a very long time to find where my own karma points were. And I'm still not sure I'm understanding the whole picture since I had to use I think 3 separate accounts to log in across different sections of what I would expect to all the be same website, Maemo.org. Not to mention how any of that would correlate if I posted on any of the mailing lists

The Following User Says Thank You to hypoxic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
Trying to add something useful to this discussion, but most of my ideas keep centering around how 'karma' seems to encourage grandstanding or individuals vs community building.
There's nothing wrong with selfish gain being an aspect-- it's a strong motivator. The challenge is just to ensure that most of the grandstanding has a (side) benefit to the community as well... and I think we're close enough even now.

Just a thought-- it strikes me as funny when people want Thanks removed as a karma contributor or removed outright. Especially today when I saw that someone else had said what I wanted to say on a subject and I thanked him for doing so-- then realized Thanks has probably kept post count down by virtue of that alone. I want someone to tell me there's no value in that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
There are 'gold' blog posts as well, which in the proposed system, would be subject to a max of 10 karma points.

e.g.

qole's post on N900 from a Community Perspective

His review came at a time when the N900 was just announced at Nokia World, and there were many itching for perspective on the device from a community member, and not some Russian blog. Gold, IMO.

So, this was a type of 'talk' activity - but the community felt it was very worthwhile (71 thumbs up).

I propose a 'gold' blog post similar to the 'gold' talk post, if it is implemented.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Interesting... many people seem to have lost significant karma... glitch, entropy, ???

http://maemo.org/profile/list/

EDIT: nevermind, my brain was in backwards-- mine went UP.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-21 at 16:34.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Interesting... many people seem to have lost significant karma... glitch, entropy, ?
I don't know what my karma was, so I can't comment on that. Therefore...

...when did VDVsx change his name to include copyright symbols? I knew he was looking to move into the corporate world, but I didn't think he'd take matters so far.