Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone is arguing that they're a company that needs to make a profit. And no one is asking for a freebie either. But at least give us a chance to buy it. Or enable ads on it or whatever. Just don't leave early adopters out in the cold.
I very much doubt that charging/ads (with the Maemo market size) will even cover the cost of implementing that functionality, let alone the cost of completing development.

I personally love instinctive and think it's a far more usable approach to being able to listen to music on the n900. People like me already love this app. Users on windows don't even know about it and it will have to compete with about a million free alternatives out there, including windows media player and winamp.
I think the desktop versions are more likely to be driven by the mobile popularity - if it makes it easier to synch/update the music on your phone, then it's a more attractive desktop solution that winamp/wmp.

Bottomline is, they're basically going to launch this app on every platform except the one that already knows and loves their stuff. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around that.
That's market forces for you. *shrugs*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
somebody is still being waiting for the mew INSTINCTIVE

#evilNokia

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
But at least give us a chance to buy it. Or enable ads on it or whatever. Just don't leave early adopters out in the cold.
Let me pull a few figures from my ... experience. Let's say you have a team of 3 that develop. These people need 2000 a month to stay hired, the company pays about 3000 what with insurance and taxes and stuff. That's 9000 a month that needs to flow their way or they lose money.

Now, 9000 can be 9000 users buying at 1€. We don't have that many users. Or, 900 users at 10€. Now that's steep, and there is no way in hell that you get 900 users to shell 10€, plus tax, plus shop cuts EVERY MONTH. Or, 90 users at 100€. You get the idea.

As for banners, the rule of thumb says 1€ per 1000 clicks or 1.000.000 views. It varies, some sites pay 50 $ per mil, but even so, 9000€ is some 12K$, so that's 24000 clicks or 24 million views.

Of course, the bandwidth requirements would kill the very idea of portable player.

You'll need a contract with a single company, on-disk banners, they pay less. Plus, the target niche is 1000 freeleechers. You get more coverage paying someone to hold a sign in a bus station.

No math will make this work. She's dead, Jim.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
It was pretty obvious Maemo was dead as soon as Meego was announced after the situation with PR1.2, PR1.3.

It's lame and I hate Nokia for it, but I think it's time everyone came to that realisation. I stopped checking this forum regularly for apps, themes and such a few months back now...

I'm surprised Instinctiv didn't pull development earlier to be honest, and no one knows if Meego will break through the Android and iOS market share yet.

nokia is some of the biche

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Pakistan
does that mean no more maemo support? for eg instinctiv shuffle

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
to bad. now it's never gonna be fast... damn slow player!!!

plz just for christmas

any update will be fine enough for N900ers

The Following User Says Thank You to pursueky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by pursueky View Post
plz just for christmas

any update will be fine enough for N900ers
No presents this year. . .
Time to uninstall Instinctiv. No support means no future.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
For those looking for a new player with gapless, crossfade, folder browsing and masses of potential, Rockbox has been ported to the N900.

See this thread.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

The Following User Says Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post: