Notices

answering myself - maybe some other kind soul will save some minutes.

Tried opening openvpn form shell, which gave me the necessary input:

the password file needs to have the user in one line, passwort after carriage return.

Using complete paths in the config file also was of great help to make it work (I am keeping the certs etc in a subdirectory of openvpn to make things digestible).

config file now goes like this:
Code:
client
dev tun
fast-io
persist-key
persist-tun
nobind
remote vpn.snugglysnugglyplace.co.uk 1194
pull
comp-lzo
tls-client
tls-remote server
ns-cert-type server
tls-auth /etc/openvpn/ssl/ta.key 1
ca /etc/openvpn/ssl/ca.crt
cipher AES-256-CBC
verb 3
mute 10
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password via-file

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Switzerland
Hi Mikko,
first off many thanks for this nifty little time saver! (I hope that still somebody is following this thread!(?))
For others' information, I had the same problem as user pm_home in post 59: the applet did not consistently show up in the status bar. I deleted the wifi-switch (?) applet and now openvpn-applet does show up. Could it be a general thing about too many applets maybe? (Has anybody seen the status menu bar providing slider bars?) Anyways, I hope it will stay visible as I am certain to make quite some use of it.
Cheers!
St. Mueller, Switzerland

I do randomly watch this thread, nice to hear that you like the applet.

I have heard couple of times before that applet isn't showing up until some other applet is removed. I have looked into it, but frankly haven't found any reason for it or seen it myself.

Mikkov,

thanks for your reply! By coincidence I found out that the status menu bar does indeed provide a sliding functionality. That is, if there are too many applets, one can scroll but there are no slider bars visible so that you won't realize there are additional applets (at least I did not until after two years of using my n900 ...). Since the OpenVPN applet seems to be added towards the bottom of the menu bar area it seems to be susceptible for being hidden down below.

Hope this helps others.

Cheers!
St. Mueller, Switzerland

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
I tried using openvpn to connect to my Ivacy account with these configuration files, but all I get is

Code:
Cannot load certificate file ivacy-keys/ivacy-client.crt: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line: error:140AD009:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file:PEM lib
What could be the problem?

Also, if I set

Code:
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password via-file
in the configuration file, what format should be in the pass-file? username:password?

Hey bocephus
Just a quick shot in the dark: I would try specifying the full path of the files. I put mine under '/home/user/.ssl/' for instance.

Cheers!
St. Mueller, Switzerland

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Well, I've tried that just to be sure, but that's not the problem. The error is not "not found", it's "PEM_read_bio:no start line". I suspect it might be encoding related. Does Leafpad save in UTF or ANSI? The latter might be preferable.

Edit: Nope. I saved all files in Unix ANSI in Notepad++ but I still get the same error.

Last edited by bocephus; 2011-12-18 at 20:11.