Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post

In fact I wish the app windows could be re-arranged in the task view - if email crashes or closes unexpectedly I have been known to close down all other applications just so that I can restart email as the first application, followed by Conversations and then usually Contacts.
I second this. Another thing I'd love to see is the OS grouping windows of the same application into a single window or object after passing a certain threshold, similar to say, what WIndows does with applications when the Start Menu runs out of space. Having something like 6 chat/SMS windows open makes the multitasking view extremely cluttered, especially if you've got other apps running.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMojoUT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I always close everything when phone is not in use. When I do some work on the phone I usually have the following:

Xterm with ssh session running
Web-browser
Docs 2 Go

And I am constantly switching between these copy/pasting and reading data between the windows.

Some times with above load call have difficulty to come through smoothly, which is not a nice thing....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Hi Peter. You're my favorite (and probably the only capable) person in the Maemo department at Nokia. How are you?

Can I ask you something though, which bothers me a little? Why is Nokia ignoring lately the N900? We need Flash 10.1. We need one more major fw update. The current head of marketing and sales (Mr. Niklas) doesn't really care about us it seems, judging by his behaviour on the recent twitter chat session he had. Nokia needs to be more active in supporting their customers. If it weren't for you, the N900 would have been dead a long time ago. I hope you can help out fellow Maemo buddies
Thanks, Jack. But to be honest there is large bunch of great minds in our Maemo now MeeGo team. I'm just one of the talking heads earning credit or dismay for other people's work.

No, we are not ignoring you or the N900. But yes, we are busy we plenty of things around Maemo 5 and of course mostly around MeeGo 1.1 for Handsets. Flash 10.1 obviously ain't a trivial piece of software as you can see from some examples of our fellow competitors. Claiming that you have it doesn't mean it runs smoothly...

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
i have only had my N900 for about 5 days, but i am already fkinding that I have at least 5 apps on the dashboard.

This is one beast of a device, and i haven't tweaked, tuned, or overclocked in any way, and I love it.
Remember, you overclock it, you loose warranty...no free speed lunch as tempting it may be.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Your priority applications differ from my own, but It is comforting to learn I'm not the only one who will close all open applications just to reopen them in the right order after accidentally closing or otherwise losing one.
How about we toss in the ability to switch between programs via the keyboard? I understand this was possible in Maemo 4, and would be extremely nice to have in Maemo 5 (maybe hildon-desktop mods are in order?)

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Sadly, there is no 3G down here + very (I mean, VERY!) slow GPRS, so while out of home, there is no point on having more than 2 or 3 apps running at the same time (Contacts, phone, music player and ocassionally notes/PDF/etc).
However, when browsing at home I tend to have 5-10 web pages (specially talk.maemo.org), email and communication).
It is true that, when having all this open, receiving a call is almost impossible!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjsegninir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Actually I'm the "close application after you're finished" type of guy, even on my desktop. But I find myself using multitasking on the N900 even more than on my desktop PC. One reason is that compared to a full-blown PC with DSL-connection, my N900 on a more or less reliable 3G/2G-connection is relatively slow. So whenever I start doing something that I know will take a few moments, I use the time doing something else... Start writing the next mail when a website refuses to load instantly... Check RSS feeds while application manager is busy... and so on. It's less that I really need to do 2 things at a time - I just use this strategy to avoid having to wait. (And yes, I know that both activities are being performed by the same CPU, making me wait even longer... it's a psychological thing.)

Of course there's other situations when I do "real" multitasking, like when I copy part of a web page, send it by mail, then read on... (did that just a few hours ago)... Or that other occasion when I had a chat going on and looked up the café the other person was at on Ovi Maps (satellite image was useful), then getting the time table and directions from the fahrplan application. That was a nice example, btw, as it really didn't interrupt the chat experience at all and I could just say "Oh, sure, I know where that is. It's right at Augarten park, isn't it? Could be there in 35min or so."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
I am another that closes apps after I am finished with them.

However, when the phone is not at rest:

-Conversations - IM enabled
-phonebook (as a way of quick firing SMS)
-Media Player (with FM transmit when in car)
-Email
-Some game or other (when not in car!) This will stay open if level is not complete.
-I'll flick in and out or Phone App and Conky as and when I need/am interested
-Same with web - one or two browser windows checking links from email and facebook.

Plus others will come and go so I guess 3 Permanent and up to 6/7 one I get going.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Ryde For This Useful Post:
I went from maemo to android... and I must say among the thing I miss the most is the "well-thought" multitasking I had on the N900. I would definitly have keept my N900 if it wasn't for the battery...
My point being, Maemo was great and especially the nice multitasking implementation! I do hope meego will keep that feature at least as good!

Wake

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wake For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Difficult to answer, as I'm not quite sure on the definition of 'open'.

The clock is always running (obviously), and has several alarms permanently live.
Modest checks my email every half hour, whether I have it 'open' or not (unlike the email programme on my laptop).
The phone and conversations components are receiving, and presumably checking into the network provider, and will simply 'open themselves' if there's something I ought to know.
The calendar widget collects data from my calendar and displays it on one of my homescreens, and I can access the calendar at a single touch if I want more information.
Desktop command execution widget displays my battery level constantly.

This is all happening all the time, is it multi-tasking?

In terms of things I actually interact with when using the device, (over and above the things mentioned) I'd say I don't mutli-task a huge amount but it is incredibly useful to be able to.

To click a link in an email and open the browser automatically, then return to the email where I left it.

To recieve a sms while doing something else (playing, browsing, reading etc) and be able to read it and reply wthout losing my place.

To check my diary while writing an email, surfing the web, replying to a sms or talking on the phone without having to stop what I'm doing.

To be able to listen to music or internet radio (cricket!) while doing other things.

To be able to check the lectionary for a date weeks ahead (via the browser) and then read the relevent lessons in katana one at a time.

There are probably more instances I could think of if I sat here all evening. The point is not that I have 20 windows open at once, but that I can easily open as many as I might want or need for a specific situation simply and without the device throwing a hissy fit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey