i just updated to the new pr1.3 with xterm but it stopped at some point saying that there is no enough memory, so i freed up to 100 MB of memory cuz in the app manager it says that it needs 19 MB but still say that there is not enough memory ??

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
You need about 36 MB of free space in your rootfs.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Unless you do not have an active internet connection, upgrade OTA using the Application Manager. If you do not see the update after hitting "update" simply reboot and behold the blinking update icon.

Perform a back up before proceeding. If there is not enough memory hit details when the application manager reports that.
This will give you the information you need.

An OTA upgrade preserved all my settings and applications and I had no need to use the back-up. However, if "Details" does indicate that you need to remove applications to free up space for the upgrade, you can simply restore them from this back up once the upgrade to PR 3.1 has been completed.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
i just updated to the new pr1.3 with xterm but it stopped at some point saying that there is no enough memory, so i freed up to 100 MB of memory cuz in the app manager it says that it needs 19 MB but still say that there is not enough memory ??
You are clearing the Opt Application partition. The area you needing to do a clean and clear is the ROOTFS partition. It's the flash memory of the device. Limit is 256MB but if you're lucky you'll get the one comes close to that 256MB capacity, mine is 227.76MB so missing about 23MB of precious MB. But that's just how the memory system now a day. All have to be round up to it's closest production spec.

Clear it and you will need about 47MB free to do an update properly and a guranteed success.

Quick question: now that 1.3 is finally out, after flashing I'm going to do all the changes I've been waiting on (because I knew 1.3 would be here shortly). One of those is re-partitioning. My question is whether it would be better to re-partition after flashing or before?
Expanding the rootfs partition would solve these problems, BUT if you're going to reflash instead of doing the update OTA, will that be destroyed?

Last edited by storkus; 2010-10-25 at 22:31. Reason: more info

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
You need about 36 MB of free space in your rootfs.
I had 88mb free and it wasn't enough to do the update OTA.

heres what i did.. in xterm :
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install -f

and i think pr 1.3 installation is done
but how can i know for sure ? in my product what will it say ?

Originally Posted by pthomas22 View Post

its not about 88MB. is it rootfs ?

go to terminal and type df

df | grep rootfs
or just df and scroll up to see rootfs

find rootfs, and make sure its more than 32 MB. Well mine is 64% used currently. (I am able to upgrade) .

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by pthomas22 View Post
I had about 55MB free, executed watch -n1 'df -h /' to monitor freespace while updating. The lowest it got was about 6MB free before the OTA update finished completely.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
can you upgrade via fapman?