Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Sadly, Bugzilla is one of the few things both partners have in common.
Darn, was trying to see some silver lining here
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Sadly, Bugzilla is one of the few things both partners have in common.
That actually helps one of my projects though (maemo user experience framework). I just need to abstact it up a level... rename it...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
I have just gone through the registration process on Meego and I felt as though I was in the wrong place not being an experienced developer. I hope there is room for everybody else as although a minority of Meamo members just want to whinge there is a lot of happy banter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spoonbuddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I think one of the clear values of maemo is that there is end user focus here. It could be improved - as the N900 experience has shown - but the meego site looks like maemo.org some years ago:
every user is expected to be a power user/community champion/developer.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Two things that comes to mind (with truckload of others) are:

- .DEB -packaging

- Forum user history/ statistics/ karma/ etc.
...the parts of forum user history that would be useful indicators for other users. Those should/should be moved/converted to MeeGo.com forum from both maemo.org AND moblin.org. I think this would make the getting to know the other community easier for both members.

Edit: ...ok since, Moblin seems to not have forum the second part should be even easier to implement

Last edited by ezcola; 2010-02-15 at 21:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
No. 11 (lost count): I would like to keep the maemo 5 multitasking screen (UI).

I don't like the symbian/android style, for me this is clear value from maemo 5.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
No. 11 (lost count): I would like to keep the maemo 5 multitasking screen (UI).

I don't like the symbian/android style, for me this is clear value from maemo 5.
...this might very well be reality since from the Symbian^3 promo videos it seems like Symbian is adopting the task handling/multitasking screen almost 1:1 from Maemo5.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
+1 for community and for arm. Maemo 5 multitasking + mutlitasking GUI is also a win.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The Maemo community is the single biggest asset, but I don't view MeeGo as a marriage (imagining merging two existing communities was too hard, and lead to feelings of hurt that Moblin seemed to be providing the technology and Maemo the consumer hardware, Qt-based UI and - probably - developer tooling).

This isn't a marriage, it's a child. It's a new platform and a new community - but the Maemo community seems to have far more power and cohesiveness than the Moblin community, so how do we bring that 5-year old knowledge to MeeGo? Now, I think trying to shove the Moblin folk and the Maemo folks together under meego.com would be a mistake. However, the next council (of which I hope to be part), will have a lot of work to do:
  • Should MeeGo have a community governance structure alongside its technical one?
  • Will the technology of MeeGo provide a realistic upgrade path for Maemo devices shipped without MeeGo (e.g. N8x0 and N900, even 770). If not, what happens with maemo.org? Will Nokia still pay the bills? Many questions and issues here!
  • The maemo.org paid contributors are having their contracts continued, what role can we help them have?
  • Who do we need to work with in the Moblin community to bring the constructive elements there over to meego.com?
  • What happens with the summit? What happens to key Nokia-based members of the community like Quim? Is/was there an Intel equivalent?
  • If there're company app stores like Ovi and AppUpSM, what about Extras? How does the MeeGo community do QA across multiple devices if we/they continue to have community (yum) repositories?

As a developer, I'm not too worried. Yes, it's RPM rather than deb, but Qt Creator, MADDE and the resulting Maemo 6 SDK were game changers anyway. But it's the community that's the real question, and successfully transitioning us without losing too much.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
...imagining merging two existing communities was too hard, and lead to feelings of hurt that Moblin seemed to be providing the technology and Maemo the consumer hardware, Qt-based UI and - probably - developer tooling...
I'm not so sure how to see it any other way, honestly. Feels like all our stuff is being dumped for whatever the Intel guys feel is best and I want so badly to be wrong and to think that there was a point to everything we've done here. Instead, it feels like the towel is being thrown in.

We don't even know if they have plans to keep Council around or anything else at this point.

Last edited by zerojay; 2010-02-15 at 21:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: