Report This | #162
well. i've read carefully almost every post on u-boot releted thread. what i dont understand is how to create config file in /etc/bootmenu.d with suffix .item and copying zimage to /boot.
Because when i install (with apt-get) u-boot-bootimg, u-boot-tools, u-boot-flasher, kernel-power-bootimg and kernel-power-settings and then run in xterminal: u-boot-update-bootmenu, the .item file will be generated in /etc/bootmenu.d and the zimage will be there in /boot. but then, once i restart the phone with slide out keyboard, and select power kernel (or stock), u-boot will show "starting kernel" then go off. i end up flashing the stock kernel each time.

so pls what am i doing wrong? what am i missing? cos this is really freaking me out now. i know you guys are good and offer help to those who dont understand. help me pls.

how about creating a vfat partition only for u-boot(bootmenu folder & etc)?
let°s say mmcblk0p6(use that instead of MyDocs)
can that be done pali?
how?(what configs must be changed?)
CSSU-T latest version

boot script in CONFIG_PREBOOT which is hardcoded in include/configs/nokia_rx51.h

how about doing it on the phone without recompiling?
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2014-02-03 at 18:19.

as you can see it is not possible (with binary from maemo extras)

It is follow up to:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=232
...and:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=233
...as I didn't wanted to clutter kernel-power thread.
---

Originally Posted by pali View Post
This looks like damaged uboot mtd as uboot is not able to boot attached kernel. BTW, if you did not create custom combined uboot image, than attached image is not kp53...
I have *only* u-boot in mtd, I don't use *any* attached kernel. Also, my default entry for creation was symlinked to kp53 .item (just like it was for kp52 before), and I have NFC why it is trying to load attached kernel at all.

BTW, it just got more and more strange. I went through u-boot internal help (and u-boot thread to help me remember where exactly uimages are stored), and issued:
Code:
fatload mmc 1:1 some_random_garbage_text bootmenu.img.d/zimage-2.6.28.10-power53
...which resulted in few lines scrolling too fast to read, and device rebooting (nokia logo, etc) instantly, then - to my surprise - presenting me with usual u-boot startup menu that I was expecting from the very start (with kp53 as one of boot options).

Just because I'm stubborn f*cker like that, I ignored it, choosing "u-boot console" and issued:
Code:
reset
This resulted in device rebooting again, this time throwing the error I described in first post, again. After re-issuing fatload as above, it thrown me into proper startup menu again, from where I selected kp53 entry and booted normally (BTw, this is where I ensured that it doesn't matter what I write to "some_random_garbage_text" argument - which was described as 'addr' in u-boot internal help, whatever address it mean).

Now, after I shutdown device and boot again, I'm back at point 1 - u-boot errors, that I can recover from by fatload uimage from bootmenu.img.d, just like I did two times before.
---

Now, the obvious question - given the procedure of updating to kp53 I described in already mentioned:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=232

...what I did wrong, and how the heck recover from it to the point of having usable u-boot startup menu I used to have before? What the hell is happening, from technical point of view, BTW?

Sorry if I'm just extremely clumsy and overlooked something obvious,

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Try to charge battery to full and also run fsck on MyDocs. Or try to use uboot binary from extras (with attached default kernel). I do not know where can be problem. Sometimes NOLO does not initialize mmc device properly (charging battery can help), sometimes u-boot cannot read MyDocs due to different/unsupported fat format (this can also happen by MS windows fat driver)...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Thanks Pali, I'll do that and try to pinpoint the problem. What makes me wonder, is that - in case of my device - it is perfectly reproducible, i.e. I could go through the steps I've described again, 1:1, with exactly the same results.

Considering that, it strikes me as highly unlikely that it's some random initialization failure from NOLO, and if it's fckd fat on MyDocs, then u-boot assumes it *wrong* that it can't read it for the first time, and proceed to read it properly after I explicitly write command to load that uImage from fat.

Anyway, I'll do some more research and report back on my findings (or lack of).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Uboot has some special code for rx51 for initializing one mmc device (do not remember if mmc0 or mmc1). Other one mmc device is initialized by NOLO. And sometimes (only sometimes on my n900 with low battery) I saw that one mmc device was not initialized (that one from NOLO). And because of that sometimes problem I was not able to properly write code for initialzing other one mmc device... And maybe you are seeing this NOLO problem and there is maybe other condition when mmc device is not initialized...

Other problem when uboot does not see bootmenu is when uboot fat driver cannot read files from MyDocs partition. And this can happen if some fsck tool change something in fat structure. Until now I still do not know which fat format structure is OK for uboot. What we know is that default vanilla eMMC fiasco image contains fat partition which is OK for uboot.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Update:
I've checked /dev/mmcblk0p1 via Maemo's fsck.vfat and it didn't found any problems. Without changing anything re Mydocs filesystem (I suppose it wasn't FAT problem this time, as u-boot driver was perfectly fine with loading/listing it's content, even when it failed to boot kernel/etc), I reinstalled kernel-power-bootimg for kp53, and invoked u-boot-update-bootmenu again. Sync'ed afterwards just in case, although it shouldn't matter here.

Powered device down, booted, and of course, everything is working fine. My uneducated guess - for some reason, bootmenu.scr on MyDocs got screwed, and u-boot tried to load attached kernel upon boot (which it couldn't, as I don't have attached kernel).

The thing I don't get, is why after telling it (manually, via u-boot console) to load kp53 (or any correct one, in fact) uImage from bootmenu.img.d folder on MyDocs, it mysteriously loaded *the same* bootmenu.scr on it's own, without asking. I suspect some sneaky, hard to pinpoint bug, here.

One pointer - I just noticed, that my /etc/default/bootmenu.item was broken symlink, after all. It *shouldn't* result in such weirdo, as I was trying to boot with keyboard open, too (which should result in u-boot menu appearing), but who knows. The latest bootmenu.scr generation that worked fine was done *after* I fixed that symlink (making it point to proper kp53.item).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot