Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
lately i just perform smart reflex.

everything seems to be normal except for 2 consecutive reboots. unfortunately when the 3rd shut down occured, my n900 did not boot up.

well i tried every troubleshooting i know. but reflashing seems the only way that fixed it.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
i enable SR yesterday and i vant see any improvement in battery but i got 1 reboot loading a video from youtube (i suppose it was flash load in cpu) but i wanna confirm if it was SR reboot or something else... someone can tell me the command to see the cause of reboot???

Last edited by maguitodelrock; 2010-03-27 at 04:16. Reason: bad typing

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My report: I edited pmconfig a few days ago and didn't run into any untoward instability. However, I also didn't notice much enhanced battery life.

Edit. By the way, I don't have any issues with regard to charging, because I almost never charge on the N900, but with a separate charger.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-03-27 at 04:34.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Could you please elaborate on that?
What is deep sleep and how does it affect battery life?
First line of /etc/pmconfig is enable_off_mode and is set to 1 (enabled) by default. This allows phone to turn off parts of CPU in order to save the power. Some devices had problems with this setting - firmware PR1.0 was not able to bring back processor from this state, which caused reboots. This was described in bug #6334
(https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334) and was fixed in PR1.1. Temporary fix for those affected, while waiting for new firmware, was to disable enable_off_mode, but it caused battery to last very short time. In order to have working phone some people (including me) were enabling SmartReflex then.
Normal people do not need to disable enable_off_mode - as it will disable power saving and will cause phone to last under one day on battery.

I hope it answers your question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomaszrybak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Poland
I have SmartReflex turned on since I can remember.
As I was downloading backup to my computer I decided to test charging over USB. I downloaded all files, unmounted MyDocs and flash, and left phone plugged in. At the beginning it had about 70%; it took almost 2 hours to get it fully charged (to 95%), when green LED came. Analysing slope of the line in BatteryEye during charging using wall charger and USB it looks like USB is charging about 2x longer.

So in case of my phone enabling SmartReflex does not interfere with charging in any way.

The Following User Says Thank You to tomaszrybak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
@tomaszrybak: Thanks for your explanation about the enable_off_mode!

Yeah, I use SmartReflex too, and it neve affected anything in my device. BTW, to me, the car charger seems to be the weakest, but it is because I use a noname old Nokia charger with the charger adapter.

And it charged to full with USB for mee, too.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Hello,
I think i need a little help :S

I've tried:
echo 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
echo 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp

The device stays Ok during 1 hour.
So, i have thinked, its stable!

So.. I edited the PMCONFIG file, changed:
sr_vdd1_autocomp 0 (to 1)
sr_vdd2_autocomp 0 (to 1)

Reboot the phone, and now..doesnt boot

I've been reading a little but..want 'online' opinions..other way that is not re-flash ?!?

I never did it before, read about it and seems a little confused.

So..any help, please .

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by nokian-series View Post
Reboot the phone, and now..doesnt boot
Does it hang during booting, or go into a reboot loop, or what? You could possibly recover from a reboot loop, otherwise I think you're going to have to reflash. Oh, and have you tried powering off completely, removing the battery for a few minutes, then booting up again?

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Does it hang during booting, or go into a reboot loop, or what? You could possibly recover from a reboot loop, otherwise I think you're going to have to reflash. Oh, and have you tried powering off completely, removing the battery for a few minutes, then booting up again?
It shutdowns during the boot (sometimes hang up).
But now..

Well..
After remove battery..it works..

So.. Thank you..?

I feel like the device performs faster when SmartReflex is off. Is it just a feeling or is there some justification for this? I suspect that lower voltage (SmartReflex on) causes more CPU operations to fail and to be recalculated. Is this a total nonsense or could this really be happening?