Hi I am typing this on my nokia using the freedom mini keyboard

You will have to excuse the lack of punctuation

Caps work but if I hit the num key for numbers or special chars all I get is

Wow, that was tricky! Anyway, I'm back on the PC now. It seems that when you hold shift, it seems to accept that as a key press, as opposed to a modifier of some kind. (If that's the correct word)

On my 770's screen I get little boxes, well - more like [ ] but rotated through 90degrees, so they're at the top and bottom of where a character would be.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by eskin
Hmm... still have the same issue with the Think Outside keyboard right or left FN key shifted characters, which include all the numbers, and multi-line browser text fields where the keyboard spews junk while either FN key is held down. Works perfectly for single line browser text entry fields, for example Google search.

Anyone else having any better luck with the Think Outside keyboard?
It took me a while to encounter a multi-line text entry field in the browser.

My experience is identical to yours -- single line fine, multi-line yields garbage with either Fn (Function) key. And of course, as you say, to get a number you depress the left Fn key and then a QWERTY key, and for the symbols above a number on a traditional keyboard you depress the right Fn key and a QWERTY key.

If someone has a fix involving xmodmap, please do post with full(er) explanation.

Thx

Roger

I have the (I think) same problem as bowdie with th Freedom mini keyboard. Any attempt to type punctuation or numbers fails. Pressing the 123/num key just generates a character which looks like a stretched '='. Any ideas? Brothers seems to have his working fine.

Last edited by Fifer; 2006-01-17 at 21:23.

I may have misspoken - all I've done with the Freedom Mini so far is enter URLs and suchlike. I'm on a laptop right now; I'll play with the Mini a bit later and see what happens.

- Dennis Brothers

Live via 770 with Bluetooth keyboard:

Well, it seems I somehow managed to make it *pair* with the the 770! And as all you poor ThinkOutside keyboard owners can see, I have no problem typing any characters at all (go on, I have to rub it in!)! I am still getting some duplicate characters at times, however. I still don't think this is the fault of the keyboard itself. It would have been nice if they had even included an instruction flyer in Chinese! I would have brought it to Chinatown and had it translated. Anyway, it works for me now. Thanks much to the author for his generosity!

Live agaiin via 770 and Bluetooth keyboard:

Yep. I can now basically turn on the keyboard and it pairs quickly. (Well, there is this wee button I must also hold down that apparently makes the unit broadcast, "Yo! It's me, the Chinese keyboard!"

Ah, now if there was just a way to kill kill kill the duplcate characters!

OK, with the latest BT plugin and xmodmap I was able to get around the multiline browser field problem with the ThinkOutside keyboard. Using that info, I was able to make a custom .map file, but I can't copy the .map file into the /var/lib/install/usr/share/kb-maps/ directory without being root. So I tried using sudo, but I have no idea what the root password is for this device. I tried the one suggested, "rootme", it doesn't work.

I'm so close to having this work, its insane to have to reflash the device just to get root access, can anyone help me copy this one file?

For root, you don't have to reflash the entire image, just flash on R&D mode. Then just leave your device in that mode.

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
Live via 770 with Bluetooth keyboard:

Well, it seems I somehow managed to make it *pair* with the the 770! And as all you poor ThinkOutside keyboard owners can see, I have no problem typing any characters at all (go on, I have to rub it in!)! I am still getting some duplicate characters at times, however. I still don't think this is the fault of the keyboard itself. It would have been nice if they had even included an instruction flyer in Chinese! I would have brought it to Chinatown and had it translated. Anyway, it works for me now. Thanks much to the author for his generosity!
I can verify that pairing works fine with the ThinkOutside Stowaway keyboard. It's a little finicky to set up, but follow the pairing instructions in the Stowaway's instruction manual, and it works great.

The unblanking code that was added to the plugin works, too (usually).

The xmodmap solution (xmodmap -e "keycode 8 = Shift_L") mentioned by agentdr8 circumvenes the function-key problem, so the number keys and symbol keys work fine everywhere.

More importantly, the ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard folds (like many other bluetooth keyboards). So I don't have to carry it around like a laptop computer. Everything fits in my pockets. Life is good.