Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Im curious why we think of an SMS as something special.

So to describe
- email becomes an aspect of the contact along with all messaging
I allways wondered myself why Email is not included in the conversation app, or is it just because I havent merged all contacts yet? Is there a idea to implement that?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Is it me the only one thinking that http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ms_experience/ has gone out of control? Brainstorm proposals need to be around a concrete proposal.

Now what? Imagine that one of the 19(!) "solutions" is under development. Should we move the whole proposal to In Development and leave a big question mark about all the rest?

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Is it me the only one thinking that http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ms_experience/ has gone out of control? Brainstorm proposals need to be around a concrete proposal.

Now what? Imagine that one of the 19(!) "solutions" is under development. Should we move the whole proposal to In Development and leave a big question mark about all the rest?
I think you have to do it iteratively. Take all the serious ideas, and their votes as guidance, think about the user experience when you combine some of the ideas, implement something or form another proposal combining several things, and at some point come back to this community and say "ok, this is what we did - now what do you think?" Followed by another brainstorm... repeat.

That way the product will improve iteratively. It's impossible to make it excellent all in one go, and anyway without trying out changes, the best ideas cannot emerge yet.

For example the idea for combining email with SMS conversations. There's so many ways to do that. But what does "Clear conversation" translate to? Some people delete messages and emails after a while, but some people think deleting old emails is weird and archaic - and presumably same applies to SMS if they are merged, all should be searchable and archived. IMs are logged and archived forever by some apps and not others. What's best?

I think to a large extent, those sort of things and many others can't be answered without a certain amount of getting on with implementation or good prototypes, and repeatedly getting feedback and more refined ideas each time, and occasionally fresh new idea emerge that nobody could think of earlier. Or limitations become clearer, and ideas emerge for how to handle them.

In a more conventional devoper + developer's customer scenario (where customer is paying for development), there is a lot of iteration like this if it is done well.

Same applies here, imho.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
One thing are iterations, they are good and I agree.

Another thing is to make meta-proposals that end up being cul-de-sac of all kinds of ideas, generating huge brainstorms and long threads difficult to follow and focus on.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland@Turku
I have proposed to have same sharing of calendar notes via sms functionality as in S60. Please vote!

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...users-devices/

The Following User Says Thank You to jerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Hi,

I've got a partial solution to sending SMS to groups of people. If you have a google voice account, the attached files can use that to send to google voice groups. This is a port/modification of some existing work. I modified the script to work with python 2.5 and also added some scripts and .desktop file for an icon. This is a very manual experience. I'm considering turning this in to a python based GUI program that would go in the normal repository but until then, this is a command line version that does the job.

This requires root access.

Place gvsms.desktop in /usr/share/applications/hildon/
Place all other files in /home/gvsms/ (you can adjust this location by modifying the .desktop file)
chmod +x /home/gvsms/gvMassContact.sh

That should be it. Now you can send SMS to groups of people defined in Google Voice.

Frank
Attached Files
File Type: zip gvsms.zip (4.3 KB, 80 views)

I had an idea/request. How about figuring out a way to connect a laptop/computer to the N900 and send and receive SMS. It'd require a desktop app as well.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
I noticed that the Numeric Keypad that appears in the Phone app also shows letters under each number (like the traditional phone keypads).

Is there a way to use the numeric keypad to type SMSs?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I nearly posted a brainstorm but found the two things I wanted in the long list of 19.

I agree 19 solutions is an issue for a brainstorm, however go off the number of votes and you can at least get the idea of what people want.

For me I can't stand "conversations view", I like the view you get in outlook and normal emails of each message just being where it is. Unrelated. I don't like seeing the text I sent in the inbox, that is what a sent box is for.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I've created a GUI and packaged up some work I've been doing into gvSMS, currently in extras-devel. It's a PyQt based application that will send SMS messages to groups defined in Google Voice. Enjoy.

Frank