Notices

Hello,

Anybody know if Comix is installable on the N900 or if there is a Maemo 5 version in the work?

If not, any recommendations on alternative apps to read manga/comics on the N900?

Any pointers or recommendations are greatly appreciated for this soon to be N900 owner.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to ming387 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
At the moment, your best bet is probably cbrpager, although I'm not sure if it's available to the general public (has not yet passed QA)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I tried cbrpager but it looks like it will need optimizaton. There's lag turning pges, and comics may be a little to small on the N900 screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
From previous experience, cbrpager served its purposes quite well on my old N810. That cbrpager is laggy or slow is not very surprising as it's still only in extras-devel. Being in extras-devel means that cbrpager is not ready for primetime yet; expect it to get better before it makes it into extras-testing or extras proper. I'm looking forward to future releases as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to gwax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by gwax View Post
From previous experience, cbrpager served its purposes quite well on my old N810. That cbrpager is laggy or slow is not very surprising as it's still only in extras-devel. Being in extras-devel means that cbrpager is not ready for primetime yet; expect it to get better before it makes it into extras-testing or extras proper. I'm looking forward to future releases as well.
That's what I expected. It'll probably look great via TV out though!

Actually, cbrpager was recently put into extras-devel/testing by me. I ported it for the n900. It has to go through the "testing" before it is promoted.

Now, I would estimate that .cbz files would be faster than .cbr since cbrpager actually handles zip files internally. cbr has to run & extract the .rar file externally to view the images.

I do NOT have a n900, so its not going to easily be able to optimize this any.

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-12-08 at 04:56.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ming387 View Post
Anybody know if Comix is installable on the N900 or if there is a Maemo 5 version in the work?
cbrpage is in extras and quite nice, but I've also updated Comix for Maemo 5 (and updated it for 4.1 as well) to the latest of the 3x branch prior to the rewrite. I'll post it to the Garage site as soon as it's out of maintenance mode and try to get both versions into extras as well, but until then, if anyone would like to try it and know how to install *.deb files (you'll need libjpeg-progs as well):

For N900/fremantle/maemo5:
comix_3.6.5.maemo5v1.0_all.deb
libjpeg-progs_6b-14.osso1.deb

For N8x0/diablo/maemo4.1:
comix_3.6.5.maemo4.1v1.0_all.deb
libjpeg-progs_6b-14.osso1.deb

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
I tried the files, libjpeg-progs_6b-14.osso1.deb is not compatible with the N900.

I tried installing by using the red pill method.

Where did you get the files from?

Thanks anyway.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Shoot! Could you give me any more information on the error it gives you? It installs on mine, but I may have installed something else that is enabling it without realizing what it could be.

I believe both were originally recompiles of debian's armel packages (well, Comix is architecture agnostic, although the current page up/down via volume key controls for the N900 will only work on armel) inside scratchbox, but libjpeg-progs could just be a straight package or one/both could have been from Ubuntu -- it's been a while!

I only just started doing development on it again once I got the N900 -- I got mugged and had my development machine stolen while there were still big issues with the N810 port (if you were low on disk space); those two files are based on the same 3.6.4 package I made for the N8X0, with the changes from 3.6.5 merged in and a few bugfixes for the N8X0 relating to temp file location for Maemo 4.1, and optification and more changes for Maemo 5 for the N900.

The garage page is here:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/comix/

(I tried to commit both to extras for testing, but believe I did something wrong.)

Last edited by ldrn; 2009-12-20 at 04:00.

I use cbr pager just fine, Yeah its a bit slow to load, but I get decent readable quality enough not to squint my eyes on the fit to page width option.. I have gone through the "ghost rider heavens on fire arch 1-4" since and some "son of hulk" as well. Pretty good stuff