Notices

After doing an intensive research (ok, just 2 days) about which is the better web-experience in maps navigation, finally I've found something interesting. Just to see if I'm leaving anything out there:

- microB google maps
You need the cursor mode (rather ugly, but well), and you need the stylus to be able to zoom in - zoom out (you have the icon there). However, surprisingly you cannot erase the huge sidebar of the left. The arrow that allows it is unexpectedly not present. So having a map in less than the half of the display is simply unusable. Discarded.

- fennec google maps (and others)
No cursor mode, so imposible to use any map with this browser. Discarded.

- microB flashearth
Since google maps are no longer available, charging the satellite images is just to heavy. Discarded.

-microB atlas.freshlogicstudios.com
The best option with this browser (in my opinion). However, it is like it is always charging some data, very annoying (the maps moves slightly all the time?) and with always the entire navigation tab there. It is a shame because the website is really interesting. Discarded (not entirely ... presently)

-easyDebian-firefox(iceweasel) google maps
PERFECT! With the direct access, it initiates very fast (perhaps because easyDebian had been already started before?), you don't need any cursor mode, and you have all options of you desktop firefox there. This is the best option I've found so far (control+space to maximise the application), although much worse than the experience I get from the iphone (faster movements, you are navigating in seconds, and don't need any stylus) (and I guess from android).

Is there anything I am missing here??

If i use a webbased map, i usually go to maps.google.com/mobile. It's a stripped version of google maps with a pretty clean interface. You still need the cursor, but that is to be expected.

Originally Posted by HoellP View Post
If i use a webbased map, i usually go to maps.google.com/mobile. It's a stripped version of google maps with a pretty clean interface. You still need the cursor, but that is to be expected.
And how do you zoom out??

There's modifications of Google Maps too. Like MaeMaps and another one that I can't remember if your looking for web-based versions.

Then there are programs like Mapper (MaemoMapper) that use Google Map.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
There's modifications of Google Maps too. Like MaeMaps and another one that I can't remember if your looking for web-based versions.

Then there are programs like Mapper (MaemoMapper) that use Google Map.
Wow, I didn't know maemaps, and I had forgotten I had mapper already installed! This last approach is the better (the faster), but you don't have access to the google layers if I'm wrong. However, it is still the best approach Thx!

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Why use Google Map through browser? Better use Mapper 3 a much more pleasant way. It's pretty awasome i would say.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
Wow, I didn't know maemaps, and I had forgotten I had mapper already installed! This last approach is the better (the faster), but you don't have access to the google layers if I'm wrong. However, it is still the best approach Thx!
Yes you have... you can change it in the settings. If it's satellite view you are after.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Yes you have... you can change it in the settings. If it's satellite view you are after.
Nops, I was referring to "my maps" layers. This is neither available in iphone, and I think it is in android. This is the main reason I tried to access it by web, but once you see mapper in action, the speed difference is noticable

so mapper for maps, iceweasel for "my maps"

why not use the Nokia ovi maps; can be downloaded as one file for all of Europe and then you access them through map which is standard.
Fast and very detailed, from the polar circle down to the Canary Islands off Africa...and the rest of the world

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by tredlie View Post
why not use the Nokia ovi maps;
The main reason I don't use it is because the POIs are nowhere (not even in the same league) as Google's. There are also tons of other annoyances that keep it from being my goto application, but I will agree that having the ability to download the maps and store while off-line is a big plus, but not nearly big enough to overcome its other shortcomings.