Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

This is now getting very off-topic, but I would expect you to be aware of the fact that most mobile OpenStreetMap development is done on Android devices. At my local OSM meetings, I'm seen as somewhat out of touch, because my N900 is unable to run many of the standard OSM tools and useful new applications like ScoutSigns and Mapillary. Furthermore, OSM2GO is abandonware, it uses many deprecated OSM tags, and and there is no guarantee that it will be able to upload edits to OSM for much longer. And far from feeling that the N900 touchscreen is perfection, I've often struggled with locating an OSM point precisely.

The Neo900 would be nice as a “real Linux phone”, but I don’t think its userbase will be anywhere near large to replace many old, abandoned projects like OSM2GO with working and reliable new versions. And with the low screen resolution, even trying to use desktop applications through the power of “real Linux” isn’t an attractive prospect, as those who have to work with OpenOffice or Firefox on the N900 can attest.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
I think a lot of people have decided, privacy be damned, they are going to use something up to date.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but those people deserve to have their privacy taken away from them.
If you place the convenience of swimming with the masses above your human rights then this is the price you have to pay.

I know it's an ugly business and I'm guilty too in other areas of life, but my privacy is something I'm not willing to sacrifice just to be able to have some small talk with my friends about their iphones.

btw: Releasing the Neo900 last year would have been utopic. And it would have been as outdated then as it would be today or in three years. It should have been released five years ago.
There's no way it's ever going to compete with what we call a smartphone today. So there's no point in even sending it into this competition.

edit:
On a more constructive note, you might find the DragonBox Pyra [1] more appealing:
- bigger screen with higher resolution
- faster CPU, with even potentially future upgrades
- a lot more storage
- probably a better keyboard
- likely a better "real linux" terminal

What it will not be is a better smartphone than the Neo900. It's just too bulky to even remotely fit into that category.

[1] http://pyra-handheld.com/specs.html

Last edited by sulu; 2015-03-09 at 22:48.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
[...]But with all the delays (and while you’ve announced a webshop, you are still not actually selling this product), my interest has waned. I’m sure I’m not the only one. While I would have liked a phone focused on privacy, I think I’ll simply use a competing smartphone for the bare minimum and do most of my computing needs on a notebook.
Sorry your interest vanished or shifted. The Neo900 specs didn't that much. And while I plead guiltiy for delays, those were due to me not only starting a hw-project but also a new company and a new approach to crowd funding. I'd rather delay stuff for another year than to cheat on Neo900_UG's customers.
That’s not to denigrate your efforts, joerg_rw. Obviously you’ve had lots of fun with this project.
You have no idea how much 'fun' it been to sort all that tax office and organizational stuff, and to become head of a company that never been planned to be there, to start with.
and it would have been a rewarding experience even if no one ultimately bought the phone. But it’s worth voicing some disappointment that, I think, many others here share.
rewarding for whom? My life would have been a 100 times easier just ignoring this whole thing and work for $Apple. Sorry for your disappointment about Neo900 not trying to compete with a moving target, I never promised how long it takes to get stuff accomplished - I'm doing all this (business-, company-, tax-, webshop-stuff) the very first time. All I promised was that I'll try it and to be honest to you.

cheers
jOERG

PS, faintly on topic: I announce I'll try to have one week off-time starting with next Monday. Needed to secure my (mental) health

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-03-10 at 02:36.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
lol, i was secretly hoping youd get offended at the condescending presumption that this has just been a meaningless joyride for you, with no realistic hope of payoff on your ridiculous hard work.

schadenfreude, i guess.

in case youre worried about CRCulver-types among the 'typical' customers, heres one solid datapoint for 'still willing to fork over all their forks'.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
This is now getting very off-topic, but I would expect you to be aware of the fact that most mobile OpenStreetMap development is done on Android devices. At my local OSM meetings, I'm seen as somewhat out of touch, because my N900 is unable to run many of the standard OSM tools and useful new applications like ScoutSigns and Mapillary. Furthermore, OSM2GO is abandonware, it uses many deprecated OSM tags, and and there is no guarantee that it will be able to upload edits to OSM for much longer. And far from feeling that the N900 touchscreen is perfection, I've often struggled with locating an OSM point precisely.
On deprecated OSM tags, you can use any tag you want with OSM2Go and even change the preset tags if you so desire; the Linux, user-editable approach showing its flexibility over the app straightjacket. And a problem that stopped uploading new nodes was fixed by a member of the OSM community and brought to the repos by our own Aapo. The beauty of open source is that even "abandonware" can have critical bugs sorted by someone interested...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2015-03-10 at 15:48.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
btw: Releasing the Neo900 last year would have been utopic.
Maybe but it has been promised. Of course no one really expected it finished by then but even I, a supporter of the project (just see my sig), can see it from CRCulver's PoW and even I am now merely hoping rather than seriously expecting to ever see an actual device.

Interesting. They boast SDXC. And not just one, but two. I wonder if that stirred a similar poo storm as the planned SDXC support on the Jolla tablet

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
CRCulver ...here is a great article concerning alternate options to the neo900 and the state of current mobile devices today.
Made me chuckle.

https://medium.com/matter/shitphone-...y-a44e66434807

I think this example of a first hand account of the trials and tribulations of an average person like any other ...dealing with both high and low end iphone and android devices is sufficient in the making of a point.

If you aren't keen on the neo...
good luck with your whateverphone, your laptop and your Zaurus.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-03-10 at 23:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
CRCulver ...here is a great article concerning alternate options to the neo900 and the state of current mobile devices today.
Made me chuckle.

[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶m̶e̶d̶i̶u̶m̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶/̶s̶h̶i̶t̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶-̶.̶.̶.̶y̶-̶a̶4̶4̶e̶6̶6̶4̶3̶4̶8̶0̶7̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶
https://medium.com/matter/shitphone-...y-a44e66434807
If you aren't keen on the neo...
good luck with your laptop and Zaurus.
Your link is broken; fixed it for you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
endsormeans, the point of your posting that article isn’t clear. Many of the author’s complaints would apply to the Neo900, as it will inherit much of the obsolescence of the N900.

And I think you misunderstood my post above about the Zaurus and might benefit from re-reading it. (I don’t have a Zaurus or want one, it’s just a good example of antiquated technology in this day and age, and the old Zaurus is to the tablets people expect nowadays as the Neo900 would be to the phones people expect nowadays.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Your link is broken; fixed it for you.
Funny. I thought the "404 Nothing found here" or whatever it was displayed when opening the link was the actual answer concerning the alternate options to the neo900 and the state of current mobile devices today.

I found it ironic and delightfully insightful

I will nevertheless read the shitphone story.. duh.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!