Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,746 | Thanked: 2,100 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#121
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The question is, how did Apple get that 16% in the first place?
Execution that was second to none, combined with targeting a market that wasn't typically the kind to buy smartphones.

They lunged in with:
- iTunes
- Excellent user experience
- A decent mobile web-browser
- Style, which WinMo and BlackBerry completely lack

The above combined with no small amount of hype allowed them to carry through until they released the SDK, which basically gave them the head of steam they have now.

Their acquisition of marketshare is no joke, and the why is not hard too see. It was impossible to see, however, for all the incumbents.

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
nuts
Resorting to vulgarity and ad-hominems will endear you to no one.
 
mrojas's Avatar
Posts: 733 | Thanked: 991 times | Joined on Dec 2008
#122
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's all about momentum and execution. Despite gains, Nokia does seem to be slipping there. If they don't correct course, they may find that 2010 was the peak.

The question is, how did Apple get that 16% in the first place?
They tailored the iPhone to be exactly what the US market needed at that point, and from it, spread it overseas. The original iPhone provoked a big yawn in other markets, until they began to add the features the features people wanted (MMS; Multi-tasking, etc).

It was the first smartphone for many, it was shiny, it was Apple, etc.

I personally think they would have a bigger traction if they were to lower prices a bit, and at least add a model with keyboard.
__________________
Hola! Soy un Guía de Maemo!.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!
 
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#123
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Do you have something quantifiable?

Keep in mind the nature of this forum.
I can see where ur coming from, but all im saying is to accept the short comings of the company and not a nokia basher ive said in unmerous posts. it's not about the nature or anything else its about principle and what's wrong should be quoted wrong not sugar coated and enameld by excuses like the age of software and etc.
 
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#124
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
They tailored the iPhone to be exactly what the US market needed at that point, and from it, spread it overseas. The original iPhone provoked a big yawn in other markets, until they began to add the features the features people wanted (MMS; Multi-tasking, etc).

It was the first smartphone for many, it was shiny, it was Apple, etc.

I personally think they would have a bigger traction if they were to lower prices a bit, and at least add a model with keyboard.
Yeah but when its working for them so good why change it??
i also posted the J.D customer satisfatcion survey in another thread and iphone was ranked number1.
 
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,646 | Thanked: 14,905 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#125
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This says they sold 8.75 million iPhones, which would mean their market share for Q1/2010 is still at 16.6% (when it already was over 18% in Q3/2009)
Benny, I get your point.

But ultimately I'd gather that nobody really has said that they've lost to Apple moreso as Nokia is just losing focus if you were not as informed as the patrons of this forum about what's somewhat going on at Nokia.

And that is not a lot. The whole problem with bringing up Apple is that most really don't think that Nokia is losing to Apple in terms of money nor sales. They're losing because Nokia could honestly pump out a better something if they only focused.
__________________
gerbick | Jolla Tablet | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 
Posts: 1,667 | Thanked: 561 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#126
Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
I'm not expert in this area by any means so correct me if I'm wrong but these don't seem that big differences to me (Fremantle changes). Sure there's OpenGL ES but that's just for eye candy. What matters are the layers below UI. There you make or break compatibility. If Fremantle on N8x0 is totally impossible, why smart people behind Mer even started the project? So can you show me why the jump is bigger than I think?
How many people run Mer on a consistent basis?
 
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#127
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Resorting to vulgarity and ad-hominems will endear you to no one.
I agree with you on that,but if you read the entire thread it wasnt me who started it..so please..
 
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#128
Nokia was ruling when the battle of phones was not this intense...

And when the competition with touch screens and smartphones got tougher, Nokia is basically lost in the middle of nowhere... using a community as its right hand to finished their unfinished work...

but I like my 1ghz N900 now..... until I can afford £400 for a HTC legend...

edit: talking about Apple, I seriously think their Notebook designs are amazing.. but wouldnt get one .. never . FFS
 
mrojas's Avatar
Posts: 733 | Thanked: 991 times | Joined on Dec 2008
#129
Originally Posted by junooni View Post
Yeah but when its working for them so good why change it??
i also posted the J.D customer satisfatcion survey in another thread and iphone was ranked number1.
Because QWERTY phones are currently the best for messaging, and right now, SMS is where the money is. That is why so many recent launches of "youth" phones (which SMS a lot) have QWERTY.

However, I agree that if they think the model is working for them, they ain't gonna change it. Ferrari is what it is because it makes Ferraris, not Lamborghinis.
__________________
Hola! Soy un Guía de Maemo!.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!
 
mrojas's Avatar
Posts: 733 | Thanked: 991 times | Joined on Dec 2008
#130
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
Nokia was ruling when the battle of phones was not this intense...

And when the competition with touch screens and smartphones got tougher, Nokia is basically lost in the middle of nowhere... using a community as its right hand to finished their unfinished work...

but I like my 1ghz N900 now..... until I can afford £400 for a HTC legend...

edit: talking about Apple, I seriously think their Notebook designs are amazing.. but wouldnt get one .. never . FFS
From what they said, before jumping blindly into the touch screen battle, they stopped and started changing their whole profile of just being a handset maker, to be a service provider, with handsets of top. That, off course, made them delay the launch of new models.

All that effort, the new services and the long awaited new phones, should bear fruit this year. Let's wait and see if they were right.
__________________
Hola! Soy un Guía de Maemo!.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!
 
Reply

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:40.