Hi all. I found some instructions for adding a city (and a
timezone) to the clock.

(http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/add...sso-clock.html)

I have edited the /usr/share/osso-clock/wdb-parsed.txt file
to add a city and it *is* added. Unfortunately, when I add
this line to the file:

Toronto|CA|Canada|Canada/Eastern|402|296|en_CA

the city name appears as

osso_db_city_toronto, Canada

Anyone know what's going wrong?

(I did not follow all of Whitby's instructions since I don't
want to add a timezone and can't figure out how to install
poedit anyway )

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by albright View Post
Hi all. I found some instructions for adding a city (and a
timezone) to the clock.

(http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/add...sso-clock.html)

I have edited the /usr/share/osso-clock/wdb-parsed.txt file
to add a city and it *is* added. Unfortunately, when I add
this line to the file:

Toronto|CA|Canada|Canada/Eastern|402|296|en_CA

the city name appears as

osso_db_city_toronto, Canada

Anyone know what's going wrong?

(I did not follow all of Whitby's instructions since I don't
want to add a timezone and can't figure out how to install
poedit anyway )
Maybe Toronto has been GPLed?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Phoenix, AZ
Whitby's instructions are missing a step. You need to edit osso-cities.mo in /usr/share/local/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/ (adjust for your locale) to add the city. You can do it without using poEdit, but you still need msgunfmt and msgfmt. I had them on my Linux box, but I don't know if they are available for Windows.

1. Copy osso-cities.mo from the tablet to a Linux box
2. Run "msgunfmt osso-cities.mo -o osso-cities.po"
3. Edit osso-cities.po with any text editor. Add the following lines, with blank lines separating the from other pairs:

msgid "osso_db_city_toronto"
msgstr "Toronto"

4. Run "msgfmt osso-cities.po -o osso-cities.mo
5. Copy osso-cities.mo back to your tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Bertin For This Useful Post:
thanks v. much - that did it perfectly ...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
this one i just dont understand , couldsome post detailed instructions on how to add Indianapolis , Indiana in the US? Or , preferable the small town i live in just north named Anderson , IN .... as this is what id rather have.

While the Maemo time zones are abridged and don't reflect the full set of IANA data, they still are a IANA excerpt, and not some invention of Nokia. And the cities of the IANA timezone names are not arbitrary home towns, but the time zone reference location. As IANA time zones attempt to cover all known historical defined time zones (i.e. anything past local solar time) there are many more locations in the IANA database than current time zones, and the US in particular, where individual counties and even towns have been and still are very inventive regarding their local time, accounts for quite a mess.

But you cannot simply add any place in there, or you will fail whenever externally referencing dates and times - whatever belongs there has to be registered with the IANA first, and for that, it must have had a individual time zone at least at some time in the past. Adding Indianapolis would be ok, being a IANA location, and Indiana counties, being one of the worlds worst sets of time zone offenders, account for a dozen or two different timezones, but Anderson in particular never had its own time...

Originally Posted by Scott Bertin View Post
Whitby's instructions are missing a step. You need to edit osso-cities.mo in /usr/share/local/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/ (adjust for your locale) to add the city. You can do it without using poEdit, but you still need msgunfmt and msgfmt. I had them on my Linux box, but I don't know if they are available for Windows.

1. Copy osso-cities.mo from the tablet to a Linux box
2. Run "msgunfmt osso-cities.mo -o osso-cities.po"
3. Edit osso-cities.po with any text editor. Add the following lines, with blank lines separating the from other pairs:

msgid "osso_db_city_toronto"
msgstr "Toronto"

4. Run "msgfmt osso-cities.po -o osso-cities.mo
5. Copy osso-cities.mo back to your tablet.

Hi, I have limited skill in linux. Would someone tell me where I would find msgfmt and msgunfmt. Although I have an ubuntu 7.10 box running, but I did not really set it up(it was a virtual box made by jars).

thanks

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I cannot find Arizona in there, and since they do not observe daylight savings, I cannot get the right clock!

aha, I installed gettext-devel on my suse box, was able to copy over osso-cities.mo, unpack, edit, repack, and copy back. damn, it didn't work. sigh.

--edit--
ah, phoenix did appear in the list, but as osso_db_city_phoenix or somesuch.

Last edited by speculatrix; 2008-04-15 at 06:52.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Phoenix, AZ
I think you need to add the cities in alphabetical order. Here are the files I changed to add Phoenix, Arizona.
Attached Files
File Type: zip osso-clock-phoenix.zip (7.7 KB, 196 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Bertin For This Useful Post:
Hi Scott,

That's awesome, I happen to be in Tempe myself, and was just about to do this same mod =) Thanks for saving me work!