Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
That's why he should use the device instead of relying on pictures of expected functionality.
N900 is the only communication mobile device I use.
And pictures I have put to flickr were screenshots from my device which I made yesterday evening (Helsinki time).

This is exactly what happens:

It says "checking Nokia servers for service availability" and then when you go through the settings it only shows POP and IMAP - THAT'S IT. No Nokia messaging. No M4E.

The ONLY access to M4E on a US device is in the control panel.
I do not use it in US, as I do not live there. it could be the problem. Point taken. I contact our US guys. Just to clarify. What is your operator?

You all should use the actual device. That's the first step to making the software better.
This is the ONLY way to release the usable consumer product in general and usable software in particular.

Last edited by vitaly_repin; 2009-11-27 at 06:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
quick question - with M4E and Exchange 2007 - are N900 tasks synced as well?

Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
It says "checking Nokia servers for service availability" and then when you go through the settings it only shows POP and IMAP - THAT'S IT. No Nokia messaging. No M4E.
In addition to my previous reply. Could you make a photo of the available account types you see?

P.S. The fact that you don't see Nokia Messaging could be OK (from sw. engineer's point of view, not from customer and service provider PoV, sure) if Nokia Messaging service is not available for your operator.

Last edited by vitaly_repin; 2009-11-27 at 06:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bAxon View Post
quick question - with M4E and Exchange 2007 - are N900 tasks synced as well?
Yes, they are.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by famusc View Post
Lucky you! It happens always to me!
ALWAYS? You mean, the notification functionality does not work at all?

What account type do you use?

Originally Posted by sgmlacey View Post
Hi Vitaly_repin ,

thanks for your candid posting on the status with Mfe , I also have this issue, using certificates and exxchange 2003, would an additional syslog trace help yourselves in this matter ? I'm more than happy to generate one if it would be valuble (really would like to see this working)
Rgds Steve
Thank a lot but we do not need syslogs with MfE, Exchange 2003, sales package, anymore. The problem is fixed internally.

Many thanks to you again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
i have mfe setup for google sync (contacts+calendar)

i cant send outgoing mail when i have nokia messaging account along with mfe. they stay in outbox with status failed.

if i remove the mfe account, then the nokia messaging account can send mail fine.

i suspect that when i have mfe and nokia messaging together, modest tries to send email from the mfe account instead of nokia messaging.

i filed a bug report for this back when i received the n900 at maemo summit. i still experience the bug after the update to 42-11.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5503

Last edited by thenokiablog; 2009-11-27 at 07:31. Reason: link to the bug added

The Following User Says Thank You to thenokiablog For This Useful Post:
i filed a bug report for this back when i received the n900 at maemo summit. i still experience the bug after the update to 42-11.
Could you post a link to this bug report here?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
Could you post a link to this bug report here?
sorry about that. edited the post to include link

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Thanks for the mail Vitaly!

I have just a couple of questions, and some (hopefully helpful) feedback.

Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
- It does not work with google!
- Yes. And it should not. The release of the software which you can find in the box you have received was not designed to be compatible with google.

...snip...

- Ohoho! But what is the problem with google? I really want to have it!
- Google implementation of ActiveSync protocol and MS implementation of ActiveSync are different implementations of the protocol. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...statement.mspx

- Can community do something to get the google support on board?
- Yes. Influence Google (to be compatible with N900) and Nokia (to be compatible with google).

So, guys, I am waiting for your feedback. What are the worst problems you experience with MfE solution for Maemo?
First - is the MfE module source code public? Is there any way that the community could address any problems with the Google interaction?

Second - do you have a test suite for MfE, with details on the stuff which definitely/sometimes doesn't work with Google (calendar, contacts or mail), please? Test suite results would at least let people know what stuff it's OK to use & what stuff is a bit dodgier.

Third - Do you know if there is a way to synchronise contacts over SyncML with Google? This worked pretty well for me on my Nokia N82, I imagine (?) that it might also work well with my N900, if the client software's been ported.

That's it for questions. I also have some feedback on stuff which doesn't work well (with Google - so it's OK if your answer is "It's not supposed to work"):

- I have regular failed syncs with contacts.
- On at least one occasion, a sync which failed half way through left me with only a third of my contacts on the phone. A successful sync afterwards got me back into a better position.
- It may only be an impression, or an interaction of a wifi issue & the sync issue, but I have the impression that often, after failed syncs, I lose routing information for my wifi connection too. I stay connected to my access point, but there's no DNS resolution or external internet access.

Anyway, thanks for MfE, and even if it doesn't work yet, it seems to me like there is a desire to go this route for Google and Nokia, so I imagine it will work better as time goes on.

Thanks!
Dave.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!