Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Then I don't get it T3... are you walking around browsing one handed? The bulk of the device is still where the keyboard sits, you hold that part (with your thumb on the d-pad as usual) and the screen is 2 inches higher than it used to be. That's a deal breaker?
In fact, yes, I'm using the device one-handed a lot of the time. I hold it in my left hand, with the stand unfolded (between my left index finger and the second finger). Sometimes I use both hands though. But to have to slide out the keyboard every time, just to get access to the D-pad? Doesn't make sense to me.

Mucho Impressed

That keyboard opens up so many new possibilities. Well done Nokia !!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it's just one of those things that you'd get used to. IE, holding it with your left hand, index finger on the top, slide the screen up with your thumb and voila. It's just be more of a square form factor than a rectangle like we're used to. (I've never physically seen an N800 being here in Canada, so I can't comment. I still complain about the lack of a hard case)

Milhouse, oh yes, good point about the a-GPS. My bad.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Me, I have reconfigured the d-pad so I can page up/down (one page at the time) with it (the way the Palm d-pad works, which is how it should have been in the first place).
How do you configure the d-pad to scroll whole pages? The cumbersome scrolling is actually one of the bigger usability problems I've had with the n800.

Regarding the new position of the d-pad: holding the n800 with one hand felt a bit crampy to me on occasion. I guess sliding out the keyboard may actually help with the grip, even if you don't need the keyboard. I guess you really have to hold it in your hand to be able to tell.

Originally Posted by hns View Post
How do you configure the d-pad to scroll whole pages? The cumbersome scrolling is actually one of the bigger usability problems I've had with the n800.
For Opera only: In .opera/input.ini: Change Down and Up to read
Down = Page down
Up = Page up

It would have been nice to be able to change this globally, e.g. there's no way I know of to fix this for microb, nor for the pdf reader. It could presumably be done globally with xmodmap, but if I understood a message from Nokia correctly then there's a bug in the xserver which constantly re-sets any configuration changes you might have done.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-10-17 at 17:10. Reason: typo

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
Olala!

Nseries N810

Beware of my English! Beware of my English!

Last edited by rok; 2007-10-17 at 16:35.

The specs are out (most of them at least):

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...mment-86709312

http://www.nseries.com/index.html?l=...=products,n810

Nokia specs page:

http://www.nseries.com/nseries/v3/me...810_en_R1.html

NOTE: "3.5 mm stereo headphone plug (Nokia AV Connector) "

Does this mean TV/video out?

Sorry if I am bouble posting, having probs with this site today.

Last edited by Viipottaja; 2007-10-17 at 16:43.

WOW... I saw the picks on the wordpress blog that reggie set up... I'm a bit jealous. It is thinner than the N800 and looks pretty damn good.

Reading through thoughtfix's write up it seems like a nice piece of gear. And the 2008OS is going to be available for the N800 too... Just not sure when it is available. The tease pages on the nokia site are pretty cool. Question is.. when you click on the different software offerings it shows the N95, so will the software be all the same for the N series devices?

Last edited by thomasdawes; 2007-10-17 at 16:51.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Ick, no real specs bump. Guess I'm stuck waiting for the N900. Too bad.