Active Topics

Nokia sold 468 million phones last year so Maemo most probally with much less phones than Symbian are supposed to sell truck loads by then. To me that looks exactly like it should. I do think that we might see overlap with Symbian and Maemo especially in the coming 2 years while Maemo might have the knifes tip Symbian will have similar phones. While Symbian phones like 6700 slide are in a price range that Maemo will not ever touch.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

Nokia sold 468 million phones last year
what is really nice about this diagram is it looks like they project selling ~50M maemo devices in 2011. Mmmmmm Awesome.

I think this was also useful (from the recent Capital Markets Day), this is how they see their segments evolving:

Maemo for the absolute high-end mobile computers. Symbian improved in the high-end with Qt and also crossing south from traditional smartphones to midrange too since it can run with less power. Series 30/40 will cater the emerging markets.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
iJanne: I think that chart might just be pixeldust. It makes no sense at all to me. Will Nokia really have no Symbian devices over 400 Euros? (Note the weird vertical scale, by the way).

And what about the lack of any high-value aspirational devices... Has Nokia given up on that market and is planning to leave it to the likes of iPhone and HTC? Talk about defeatism, if that's what it means.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
And what about the lack of any high-value aspirational devices... Has Nokia given up on that market and is planning to leave it to the likes of iPhone and HTC? Talk about defeatism, if that's what it means.
is that what an aspirational device is? If so I think we could include the n900 as an aspirational device as it brings many new concepts to the mobile telephony world.. Mulitiple desktops, plug-ins etc.

Maybe the thought is that users of the highest end phones do not want unproven tech or tools that sounded great on paper, but are worthless or negative in practice running on their device?

I think the relative placement of the three operating systems in the picture I linked to is interesting and informative of Nokia's goals. Details may be "pixel dust" and PR BS, sure.

There's a sneak peak of the next generation Symbian UI at Engadget. It looks very contemporary. Here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/03/n...er-experience/

Last edited by daperl; 2009-12-04 at 13:47.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
This came from another thread, but there has been so much confusion about the goals and announcements concerning the N900, I thought a reminder was needed.
If you're trying to make a point, how about making sure that you get your title right first.

This is NOT how Nokia announced the N900. The N900 was not announced at Nokia World, but a week or so before.