I have an N97 and one of the biggest disappointments with it for me is that it really struggles to cope with the 20gig of music I've put on there. The music player is very slow... I often have to wait several seconds for it to load up album lists and suchlike.

I'm considering moving to an N900 at some point... but if it has this same problem I might give it a miss.

Does anyone have one with a significant amount of music loaded on? If so does it cope OK?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
I have an N97 and one of the biggest disappointments with it for me is that it really struggles to cope with the 20gig of music I've put on there. The music player is very slow... I often have to wait several seconds for it to load up album lists and suchlike.

I'm considering moving to an N900 at some point... but if it has this same problem I might give it a miss.

Does anyone have one with a significant amount of music loaded on? If so does it cope OK?
Quite ok with ~2000 aac, ~10GB.

I read somewhere that they tested it with libraries of up to 64 GB, in anticipation of the larger 32 GB microsds that are going to come out.

Does manageable but certainly not impressive. Takes a bit of time to load everything and when the screen is off it doesn't even up date page to new song. So when you switch on screen it shows the song that was playing before the screen went off and then switches to the current song. Pretty annoying. In fact most of the things to do with the music player are annoying.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Does manageable but certainly not impressive. Takes a bit of time to load everything and when the screen is off it doesn't even up date page to new song. So when you switch on screen it shows the song that was playing before the screen went off and then switches to the current song. Pretty annoying. In fact most of the things to do with the music player are annoying.
So is there another music app that can do better than the one that some pre-installed ?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajamils For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
So is there another music app that can do better than the one that some pre-installed ?
Not yet but I think there is one in development called Panucci which should hopefully do a better job.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I used Media Monkey to sync 14 GB worth of MP3 files to my N900 form my old Itunes library.

The player works pretty good, my main problem is Media Monkey not keeping all the albums together because of it's translation of the ID3 tags.

I can't say if it's the player or the Media Monkey sync, but my N900's album view is missing alot of album art, but when you play the individual tracks, the art appears just fine.

The player itself is responsive, and offer a very quick search just by typing anywhere in the app to bring up results just like searching contacts from the desktop.

Shuffle works probably just as fast as an iPod, even with 14GB of music to shuffle through.

Playlist creation isn't really intuitive, but it can be done on the fly in the application without having to create them on a desktop and sync them over.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
I've got 20Go music on my N900 and no issue with the media player

All my artist/album/covers/year are embedded in the mp3 files

Only thing: when in Artists view, it takes maybe 2 seconds to "create" the list, and after that the scroll is perfectly smooth. But you start at the end of the list, which is weird, maybe there is a bug signalled for that

Edit: the bug is here, vote for it
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5901

Last edited by peio; 2009-12-04 at 09:36.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I've got 2500 songs on my N900. It works really well ONCE tracker has indexed it all. This can however take quite some time.
Therefore, I suggest you copy your initial large music load to the device in the evening, then get a night's sleep while it indexes and startup the Music Player in the morning (perhaps it only needs 30 minutes or an hour, but indexing it all, extracting album art etc. etc. is quite some work for this small wonderdevice).

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Thanks for this info everyone - my N900 arrives tomorrow and I've already got a 16gb micro sd for it in anticipation of switching over from my PMP and should probably have checked it was a good idea first!