Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
If you have one of those weird phobias like paranoia or persecution phobia you should go to a doctor
It's really needed to insult other opinions and decisions?

Code:
sync=intl
That will make Yappari only load the numbers in international format from your address book and sync those. Also numbers must have a plus sign and only digits, no spaces, no dashes, no parenthesis, etc.
Thank you very much Scorpius I known there was a good person inside the insulting one XD.

Even though there are some people here that will claim contacts synchronization is a privacy issue, it is not.
I don't know in your country but in Europe the law consider that a mobile number is a private data. Some business have been fined here after accidentally disclosing mobile numbers of their clients.

(they could link them to you by your IP address but I'm sure they don't do it).
How? Do you work at Whatsapp Inc.? The numbers could be linked to other numbers making a social relationship tree. Status messages are recorded too. Images and multimedia are maintained in servers for some time.

With the actual (improved over old one) privacy policy I think that no more data is gotten. But privacy policy could change in the future without notification.

Also you'll be amazed that +95% of your contact list uses Whatsapp.
I am sure that it is not my case, but yes, most of young people and lot of older one use it.

People who doesn't agree with Whatsapp principles and STILL want to use it DO have problems. Make your stand and stop using Whatsapp at once!
Re-read the use terms of whatsapp, you are violating at least one of them.

Thank you again

Last edited by malkavian; 2012-07-23 at 21:21.

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
How? Do you work at Whatsapp Inc.? The numbers could be linked to other numbers making a social relationship tree. Status messages are recorded too. Images and multimedia are maintained in servers for some time.
If you ever work in a corporation you should know there's not time to do that stupid stuff. That's what I mean when some people have paranoia. They just DON'T DO that, it's a WASTE OF TIME, and that would mean NO REVENUE. Corporations just exist because of REVENUE. A bunch of random phone numbers don't create any REVENUE. NOBODY wants to buy a bunch or random phone numbers even though you think they will. IT IS NOT THE SAME that a bunch of random email addresses (why? "block" is the key word).

Status and images are in the policy. Actually that's the ONLY thing they put in the policy that they save.

Re-read the use terms of whatsapp, you are violating at least one of them.
There was an effort here to contact Whatsapp and ask them for an N900 version. We did it, they refused it. If they come here today and say "We'll be making a Whatsapp for the N900", I would immediately stop developing Yappari in the spot.

Actually I'm amazed you use Yappari. It could have a backdoor, I could be stealing all your private info and sending it to me. Why are you trusting me but why can't you trust Whatsapp Inc?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
you are violating at least one of them.
I think you have the wrong phone, wrong OS and you are in the wrong community. Go and buy a Android phone and get out of here...

The Following User Says Thank You to PartyboyXP For This Useful Post:
I have just upgraded to v0.0.17
I noticed that while synchorization if I click "create chat" it closes I think this happens because of high memory consumption plus I have opessh-server which takes huge portion of RAM.

I hope in addition to memory optimization of sync in future releases that you allow sync to be completely disabled.

I have a question. What happens if a contact with same name is saved but with like 2 or 3 numbers fields, which number will receive messages?

Last edited by tonypower88; 2012-07-23 at 22:38.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I don't receive messages since v 0.16. any hint?

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
If you ever work in a corporation you should know there's not time to do that stupid stuff.
Corporations just exist because of REVENUE. A bunch of random phone numbers don't create any REVENUE.
Please explain me how Whatsapp Inc. get revenue. None of the android users I know payed yet anything (and they use it since more than a year).

NOBODY wants to buy a bunch or random phone numbers even though you think they will. IT IS NOT THE SAME that a bunch of random email addresses (why? "block" is the key word).
In whatsapp is possible to falsify your mobile number. And anybody could add you to his/her phonebook and write you through whatsapp, because you haven't to accept him/her as contact (as other IMs require).

If they come here today and say "We'll be making a Whatsapp for the N900", I would immediately stop developing Yappari in the spot.
It will be sad for me. I will have to use the last version of any client that do its best for my privacy or not using whatsapp.

Actually I'm amazed you use Yappari. It could have a backdoor, I could be stealing all your private info and sending it to me. Why are you trusting me but why can't you trust Whatsapp Inc?
Because there is Wireshark for N900 and you want to stay in this community

Originally Posted by PartyboyXP View Post
I think you have the wrong phone, wrong OS and you are in the wrong community. Go and buy a Android phone and get out of here...
No I'm sure that I have the greatest phone and mobile OS I could have now. Hope Jolla get us a more modern great phone

Originally Posted by tonypower88 View Post
What happens if a contact with same name is saved but with like 2 or 3 numbers fields, which number will receive messages?
Now, with contact sync the one registered. Whitout it, you will see the contact two or three times and you won't be able to difference wich is every one.

Originally Posted by NightShift79 View Post
I don't receive messages since v 0.16. any hint?
Upload your Yappari log ( /home/user/.config/scorpius/yappari.log ) to uppit or somewhere and send the link in a private message to Scorpius

Last edited by malkavian; 2012-07-23 at 23:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tonypower88 View Post
I have just upgraded to v0.0.17
I noticed that while synchorization if I click "create chat" it closes I think this happens because of high memory consumption plus I have opessh-server which takes huge portion of RAM.

I hope in addition to memory optimization of sync in future releases that you allow sync to be completely disabled.

I have a question. What happens if a contact with same name is saved but with like 2 or 3 numbers fields, which number will receive messages?
I also use OpenSSH-server and it never closes when I click Create Chat. I have around 100 contacts though. How many contacts do you have approx?

About the other question, like malkavian says, with Contacts Synchronization only the Whatsapp registered numbers will appear. If you have a contact with two mobiles and both are registered in Whatsapp, then there's no way to know which number will receive the messages so far.

Eventually I'll code something like if you keep your finger pressed above the contact a little menu will appear and will show you the phone number.

I said "eventually"....

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Please explain me how Whatsapp Inc. get revenue. None of the android users I know payed yet anything (and they use it since more than a year).
Very weird you don't know this: Even if you haven't heard of somebody who has paid for Whatsapp service (you must be surrounded of linux/opensource people), it already has sold millions of dollars. MILLIONS. *MILLIONS* (read it again).

It was the top selling application in several countries with revenues even bigger than Angry Birds! YES: PEOPLE PAID FOR IT.

There are 2 billion of Whatsapp messages PER DAY, Whatsapp Inc never reveals the number of users, but it must be like half of what Facebook has... I don't know a single person that uses Facebook and don't use Whatsapp. I actually know a lot of people (from work actually) who uses Whatsapp and will never have a Facebook page...

Just use Google. Example: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/30fd99a2-0...#axzz21W46XTT1

Actually now Whatsapp Inc has a newer strategy that might end without charging anymore: Whatsapp Inc is talking directly with the cell phone companies all around the world to include the software preinstalled in cell phones. Cell phone companies see Whatsapp as a boost of the data consumption, and doing so will really increase the data consumption. Why almost everybody uses Windows? because it's preinstalled in every PC out there. That's the strategy.

People think Whatsapp hurt the SMS traffic but that's not the case, since the great majority of cell phone users have low end cell phones, and just a few percentage use smartphones.

In conclusion, they don't need to sell your number to anyone. They are already millionaires.

Last edited by Scorpius; 2012-07-24 at 06:03.

I think, this is the wrong place for discussions like this. Therefore I will come back to the topic, because I need some help: I changed my N900 and flashed an image with BackupMenu. When I am opening Yappari (actually Version), I cannnot connect and shall send my number for registration. After sending the number I have to wait some seconds. Then I get the information, that I have not received registration message. What to do?

And again: Many, many thanks for the development of Yappari. I will donate this work.

Acurus_ like somebody said before, registration is broken in 0.0.17. You have to install 0.0.16, register, and then upgrade to 0.0.17.

Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp