Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
Ever since getting it I could never ping the N800, or ssh to the N800 from other computers on my network. I have a bunch of wired and unwired devices on the network (Windows, Linux, PS3) and they can all see each other just fine.

Strangely, from the N800 I have no problem using ssh or ping to reach other devices. There are no other obvious problems with the N800, or with my network.

Today I solved the problem. I have a Belkin wireless router F5D8230-4. In the router configuration utility there is a page used for setting the channel, SSID and other options. One of those options is called "802.11e QoS" and the options are On or Off. The help page for that option says:

"QoS (Quality of Service) Configuration
QoS prioritizes important data on your network such as multimedia content and voice-over-IP (VoIP) so it will not be interfered with by other data being sent over the network. Based on 802.11e, this feature can be turned on or off and you can choose the acknowledgement mode you want to use. If you plan to stream multimedia content or use VoIP on your network, the QoS feature should be enabled."

I don't remember what the original default setting was (I've had the router for a long time) but with this setting On I can't ping the N800. If I change that to Off, suddenly ping and ssh to the N800 works.

There's still something strange going on. When I first ping the N800 from a Linux box the time bounces around between 38ms and 125ms. While watching that I went to the N800 and started pinging the router itself. The time on the Linux machine pinging the N800 immediately dropped to the 2ms to 3ms range.

I have no idea what this all means, but it seems that there is some (bad) interaction between the Belkin router and the N800. I'm going to pick up a new router today and see what happens.

Anyway, I'm really happy to have ssh working to the N800 now. I hope this information is useful to someone else.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This would be very useful as a bug in Bugzilla so that Nokia can investigate and either make the Nokia tablets compatible with 802.11e, or close the bug as won't fix - either way the bug serves to inform other users with the same router or 802.11e feature.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
Yep, just wanted to do some more testing. I got myself a new Linksys wireless router (WRT350N) today and it works perfectly (after 20 minutes of testing) with the N800. I have no problem pinging the N800. After confirming that I reflashed the N800 and it's still working perfectly. So I'm convinced the problem is with the Belkin router, not my N800.

I've never liked Belkin, and would not recommend them to other people to be honest... I've found their kit tends not to play nicely with other manufacturers wireless kit and would be doubly suspicious of their Pre-N implementation.

Sadly Belkin hardware is quite cheap and extremely plentiful - they seem to have excellent dealer relationships as their stuff is everywhere on the high street! Near my parents place I did a scan and found 15 access points, half of which were Belkin (default SSID) and all were wide open - I blame PC World (a large computer emporium).

hybrid - I don't know if you've noticed, by Jake from Nokia is asking you for more input on your bug (#1866).

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm convinced that with routers you get what you pay for. So this last time I said the heck with skimping and went all out for a Netgear MIMO router. I am very, very pleased. The first one developed a hardware malfunction, and Netgear was very courteous in replacing it. The sucker is FAST. I don't just mean transmission-speed wise-- it processes data very fast. Using it, websites load in a fraction of the time on all my devices that they did using other routers (including a Linksys and ActionTEC).

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
I have a Sitecom router , a laptop running Windows Vista and the N810 in a Wifi network.
Data traffic from laptop to N810 (e.g. using VNC server on laptop viewing on N810) works, but the other way not.
I cannot use putty, WinSCP or VNC from the laptop or it is VERY SLOW.

When I put the laptop and N810 in another Wifi network with a Siemens SX-551 router everything works flawlessly, I can view the N810 screen on the laptop, etc.

Experimenting with my Sitecom router settings did not help.
It has the latest firmware.here a ping log:

C:\Users\klaas>ping 192.168.0.183

Pinging 192.168.0.183 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.187: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.183:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

I switched off QoC on the Wifi adapter on the laptop (there is no such setting on the router) .

Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm with Tex on this one... I've dealt with a lot of "personal" routers in my day and have concluded that anything that claims to be a wireless router for under about $80-$100 (Canadian) just isn't worth the hassle. Sure, most of them function... but they lockup over time, suffer from inferior manufacturing, etc. All one needs to do is look up the hardware specs for most of the equipment... for example low end Linksys routers (and keep in mind some of the others like Belkin are even lower end) sport a nice 133 MIPS CPU and 4mbs of RAM. If you're doing straight switching between LAN ports that's one thing, since the CPU and RAM on the box will never be utilized... but when you start bridging from wired LAN to Wireless, add in the overhead of maintaining an active internet connection, running firewall and QoS, etc it just can't keep up. My comparison would be to an Asus WL-500gP router, which sports 266 MIPS and 32mb ram; sure the price is higher, but the hardware is actually capable of doing what it claims.
The other big point in firmware on the routers... not all firmware is equal (or even close sometimes). If you've ever run into situations where you need to reset your router from time to time because it just "Stops working", it's pretty much guaranteed to be a firmware issue.... so all in all at the end of the day... just remember that's there's actually a legitimate difference between prices and manufacturers.

I agree completely (with texrat and jolouis). Cheap routers are _cheap_ in the worst sense, and not just wi-fi routers - ordinary wired-only routers too. Although the latter tend to work a bit better than cheap wi-fi routers. A "100Mbit" cheap wired router may only be able to serve 5-6 MBit/s, but still work flawlessly (just slow) and thus still useful for many things. Cheap wi-fi routers instead tend to have hickups and other really annoying problems.

(The exception seems to be pocket travel routers.. my vely vely cheap asus travel router has served me perfectly for years, and I've heard similar reports on other brands)

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-09-12 at 14:22.

Third party firmware can certainly help. My stock linksys wrt54g needed a weekly reset, but after I flashed it with dd-wrt it has been rock solid stable.