Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Hi,

One thing that I didn't like about the tablet is that I couldn't properly use the terminal while thumb typing. That's because the thumb keyboard hides the terminal entirely.
How can one use Midnight Commander for instance like that !?

Therefore I have modified the osso-xterm to show a "transparent" keyboard (it's actually only the symbols on a standard QWERTY keyboard) thus allowing to a more natural terminal use.

This is only the first version of the change, but it's functional and I already use it on my tablet.
Of course many improvements can be done, I'm waiting for your opinions.

I am attaching the executable as it is (no packaging) and I would be interested if anybody else finds it useful.
(Actually the .deb file I have attached is a .zip, so pls rename it and unzip it to get the osso-xterm executable. I did this because otherwise it wouldn't let me attach it).

Daniel
Attached Files
File Type: deb osso-xterm.deb (425.2 KB, 413 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Daniel
There is no attachment.

The ; and : are reversed. Other than that, it's pretty neat. Keys are a bit hard to press though. Maybe make it like the full screen keyboard?

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Could you please show a screenshot?

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Could you please show a screenshot?
Here's a screen shot.

Some keys seem to be missing (like space and return, and the bottom row of the keys z thru >)

But I like the idea!

Craig...
Attached Images

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
The ; and : are reversed. Other than that, it's pretty neat. Keys are a bit hard to press though. Maybe make it like the full screen keyboard?
You are right, I will fix that.

What do you mean 'like the full screen keyboard' ? It is a full screen keyboard.
Actually, I forgot to mention, the terminal needs to be made full screen itself in order to see the full keyboard (I could make it for the non-full screen terminal too, but then the keys are too close to each other and it's hard to press them w/ the thumbs).
Regardless, anything can be done now that I got the hang of the GTK, it's important what you guys (users) feel it should be. Right now, it's how I like it

Daniel

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Here's a screen shot.

Some keys seem to be missing (like space and return, and the bottom row of the keys z thru >)

But I like the idea!

Craig...
Sorry guys, make the terminal full screen and you'll see the full keyboard.

Also:

'Escape' is the Back/Return hard button (below the joystick).
'<' on the left, 2nd row is: Tab
'S' on the left, 3rd row is: Shift
'C' on the left, last row is: Control
'<' on the right, 1st and 2nd row: is Backspace
'C' on the right, last two positions on the 3rd row: Carriage Return/Enter
nothing on the right, last two positions: Space

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
very nifty, but could use some polishing.

What I meant was make it look like the full screen keyboard, but transparent. That way you could see the edges of the "keys". Not sure if it's possible though.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
What I meant was make it look like the full screen keyboard, but transparent. That way you could see the edges of the "keys". Not sure if it's possible though.
Ultimately everything can be done. But my idea was to make the keyboard the least intrusive as possible considering that it stays over your content. I would rather see the terminal's text then the key's edges in those pixels that make up the edge line.
Again, my idea is that if you type exactly on the symbol then you will for sure press the key in the best location possible: in the center of it. If you see the key's edge or not, in this case, is irrelevant.

In the end, everything can be customizable. Some people might want edges, some not. We can for sure offer them.