Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Totally understand your frustration, but the biggest unknowns now is Android 2.4 and of course, MeeGo. Given that there possibly is a forthcoming announcement next month about MeeGo, I'd say hold out if you could for just a bit longer, then you will be able to make a much more informed decision.
What announcement about MeeGo is this?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
What announcement about MeeGo is this?
The possible one they will make at MWC. No promises, but it's a distinct possiblity - and February marks the first year after the initial MeeGo announcement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Dude(OP), I was very close to your situation a month ago. And I took the leap and bought the Nexus S. One of the best decisions I made all last year.

You can download free and open source applications just like you could before. Tethering and SIP are unlocked right out of the box. The experience is excellent. And you'll be using a platform that is at least similar to what your clients or coworkers have.

If you want a "sandbox" phone, the N900 is fine. But if you want a mobile device that actually stands up to real world use and won't be a chore to work with, I'd recommend the Nexus S.

If you're really holding out for a Meego phone, by the time meego is ready for primetime, you'll have the N9 (or wish you did). Move on, the N900 was a good idea that never went anywhere thanks to half-hearted support from Nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Ben For This Useful Post:
Also meego 1.2 for the N900 is due in April which, unlike Notdroid, should be a fully working OS, not sure about the apps support for it though.

Apart from Meego I would personally wait for a dual core phone to arrive before buying a new phone now anyway, other your/ Desire/Galaxy/iphone 4 is going to also seem outdated in a years time

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ben View Post
Dude(OP), I was very close to your situation a month ago. And I took the leap and bought the Nexus S. One of the best decisions I made all last year.

You can download free and open source applications just like you could before. Tethering and SIP are unlocked right out of the box. The experience is excellent. And you'll be using a platform that is at least similar to what your clients or coworkers have.

If you want a "sandbox" phone, the N900 is fine. But if you want a mobile device that actually stands up to real world use and won't be a chore to work with, I'd recommend the Nexus S.

If you're really holding out for a Meego phone, by the time meego is ready for primetime, you'll have the N9 (or wish you did). Move on, the N900 was a good idea that never went anywhere thanks to half-hearted support from Nokia.
Not sure what you mean by that comment as the N9 should have meego?

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
OK, I too want a new phone, and I want one that major companies are supporting by bringing out compatable apps for rather than endlessly seeing iphone/android/rim based apps..
But

The other week, I was out and about testing our wireless system, and i used my phone to take a packet capture, then I zipped it up, attched it to an email and then sent it to my desktop.

Tell me a phone you can do that with - I fell in love with my n900 all over again - yes this phone doesn't have major support, yes, Nokia have broken alot of promises, but it doesn't stop it being one of the most powerful, configurable phones on the market today, and that is for a phone that is 1yr old.

I do want a new phone, but because the n900 is so good, I can wait and see, rather than being in a position where I have to get something now as the phone is driving me up the wall..

Don't forget that there is still a great enthusiast community behind this phone that are still producing some amazing apps, so there is life in the n900 yet...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Nowadays, can we ever been satisfied with 1 device forever? Will you be satisfied with the new Android, iPhone, xxx-phone when you face deficiencies with current device?

We don't need to be convinced of a decision - we are usually pretty good at making them ourselves. What we are looking for is some justification to buy a new device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Nowadays, can we ever been satisfied with 1 device forever? Will you be satisfied with the new Android, iPhone, xxx-phone when you face deficiencies with current device?

We don't need to be convinced of a decision - we are usually pretty good at making them ourselves. What we are looking for is some justification to buy a new device.
Clearly not for ever but hopefully for at least 2 years, Nokia lack of support means we get weekly posts likely this OP.

Given that meego is not going to be with us until at least the summer I cannot understand why Nokia withdrew support for meamo when they did. They could of even kept meamo going for a bit longer with a N920 with HD etc support, and alos made a bit more money before meego arrives, then made the N900/920 upgradeable to meego or at least supported dual booting officially?

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I can't believe no one has said this yet, so here's my advice. You're obviously not sure, which means you can see that the N900 is a valuable device and has potential and is a much nicer environment and ecosystem as far as community etc are concerned.

Stop installing things from extras-testing or extras-devel. Once you've flashed your device. Install your essential stuff (AIM) from normal extras repository to minimalise a sore head. Once you've reached extras capacity and you're feeling brave, maybe you see something in extras-testing or devel you like, enable those repositories, make a coffee whilst the package list updates. And one-by-one install the new potentially unstable application, test it, give your feedback if something isn't working, etc, etc.

btw, AIM? You're kidding :P I don't know anyone that uses that rubbish service :P Come into the 21st century!

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I can't believe no one has said this yet, so here's my advice. You're obviously not sure, which means you can see that the N900 is a valuable device and has potential and is a much nicer environment and ecosystem as far as community etc are concerned.
See, that is what is killing me. I greatly enjoy this place and the phone has done some great things for me thus far. ...and I also highly enjoy showing up my co-workers with their iPhone 4's (it's the 'company' phone so lots of folks here have them).

Stop installing things from extras-testing or extras-devel. Once you've flashed your device. Install your essential stuff (AIM) from normal extras repository to minimalise a sore head. Once you've reached extras capacity and you're feeling brave, maybe you see something in extras-testing or devel you like, enable those repositories, make a coffee whilst the package list updates. And one-by-one install the new potentially unstable application, test it, give your feedback if something isn't working, etc, etc.
Normally I will only pop in something I know works from testing/dev (like RDP), thus far NITDroid was my biggest *wth* why not attempt and it was fun. Sadly now, trying to get AIM to work which just feels like something that should be a basic feature, is making me reconsider this device. Similar to what ysss said, if I wanted to do this much work, I'd just have my laptop with me.

btw, AIM? You're kidding :P I don't know anyone that uses that rubbish service :P Come into the 21st century!
I know right? Sad thing is, the company I work for uses AIM and I have 180+ people in there for my work account alone, so I DO need to use it. That sold me on the N900, open contact, see all phone numbers (with Skype/SMS options), emails, and IM options via FB/AIM/Googletalk/etc/etc...it was great! EVEN with having to get the protocols from the app manager, until this new headache getting AIM to work from my last reflash on Wednesday.

I don't want to just toss it away like another flavor of the month, I've spent time getting this to work the way *I* want it to work, but it just kills me that even venturing near Nokia makes me rip my hair out.

...although that Nexus S does look...pretty.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
compare-choose, keep it, sell it, taggggg