Closed Thread
I think that now elop&co have other things to worry about But it's not a discussion for this thread. And yes, it's not decided yet, but it "defaults" to continuation of financial support (as per Qgil statements). Via regular Nokia practice, finances for next year are "stamped" mid-summer, so You must wait until then, for definite answer.

Why I think risk of Nokia's withdrawn from financing is very low? Amongst other things, it's the effort made to make Community OBS running, which will also target appsformeego, Mer, etc. Of course, current Nokia management is unpredictable (in the bad meaning of this word), and only due to that, I gave risk of 5%

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
So Elop&co have not made up the minds yet?
here's the link again: http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
my 1st thought was... ォ512 MBs :-o ... most Maemo apps are in the "few MB" range, who on earth would need 512 for one app ?!? サ
then i went on to [Announce] EasyList for N9/N950 and thought...
ォ512 for one app, huh??? 1st come, 1st served or...サ
i wonder whether the Community has the ressources (i.e. storage space) for cloud storage;
shouldn't we leave this to big players like Google & Co who can afford to offer 10GB for free to each subscriber & can sell 10s or 100s of GB if wished?
or... do you have a new business plan for Maemo.org?

then again, who would care?
I am not talking about the application itself, but for users data. 500mb should be enough for all users EZlists for example, or for all data for a contact sync app. Cloud apps that offer file storage already exist and are out of the scope of this proposal exactly for the reason you mentioned (funding).

Very few apps need cloud storage, maybe less than 10 for each platform. So allocating a total of 5gb to this purpose shouldn't be a real problem. If later on more apps need cloud space we could put a payment system and ask a small contribution from the users of those apps.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-06 at 02:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I am not talking about the application itself, but for users data. 500mb should be enough for all users EZlists for example, or for all data for a contact sync app. Cloud apps that offer file storage already exist and are out of the scope of this proposal exactly for the reason you mentioned (funding).

Very few apps need cloud storage, maybe less than 10 for each platform. So allocating a total of 5gb to this purpose shouldn't be a real problem. If later on more apps need cloud space we could put a payment system and ask a small contribution from the users of those apps.
platforms? i assume Fremantle & Harmattan (?) => 2
10 apps per platform => 20 apps
5GB to be shared between 20 apps => 256MB per app
EasyList mentions 100 user => 2.5MB per user per app
didn't really bother looking into what EasyList was all about, but had the impression it's a shopping list sort of thing (?)
doesn't really matter as with 10 apps, one can't limit the scope or nature, right?
2.5MB seems more then enough for a few shopping lists, indeed.
way too much, in fact.
would it make sense to allocate the space by user (qwazix, misterc aso.) rather then per app, so that the space that isn't used for one app could be saved for an other?

anyway, if encryption isn't mandatory, no need to count me in
sure our Polish friend will fret at how again i'm only talking but not doing

in fact, if encryption is only optional, you probably cause more harm to Maemo by all those "mainstream" publishers (which, like mobilegizmo's or the like think that m$ coming to mobile (like they haven't been here for over a decade ヲ-) is the best that ever happened to the mobile world ) an easy feast, like
ォlook how ridiculous Maemo / NOKIA / Open Source / expand !m$ list to heart's disgust... offer a cloud service... UNENCRYPTED (ROFL)サ

not a good idea

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Yes ok, I made an error with the math (it was 5 in the morning) but I see you get my point. I think it shouldn't be hard to setup, and would give credibility to some applications who could benefit if they stored a few bytes online.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Yes ok, I made an error with the math (it was 5 in the morning) but I see you get my point. I think it shouldn't be hard to setup, and would give credibility to some applications who could benefit if they stored a few bytes online.
and... encryption?
still (only) an option?

but yes, i agree that every Maemo app should get all the help & support it can

I am of course all in for encryption. But I want to hear from somebody involved with the maemo.org infrastructure. Is it feasible? What type of encryption can we use? How can we make it easy for developers to test? Another smaller repo without encryption? Let's see if somebody from the council (or candidate) is willing to support this.

Well, I've already asked in the election topic but nothing happened. The election should start on 6 may as I recall. We have 10 today and under the link there is still nothing (or I can't see it ). Is the election canceled?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Well, I've already asked in the election topic but nothing happened. The election should start on 6 may as I recall. We have 10 today and under the link there is still nothing (or I can't see it ). Is the election canceled?
I'm not following up on this because I am a candidate in the election. We were told in the April council meeting that the election was covered. Somebody (even Qgil would be OK) should contact Nemein and tell them to get going though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
So how to ping Nemien (what is his nick) on IRC or mail him?

Closed Thread

Tags
council