Active Topics

Hi All,

I know there are many threads that might have handled similar topics, but they contain too much un-needed info. I have very specific and concise questions (Yes/No) to which I hope for some answers.

I understand and respect the development process, so I won't ever ask for time lines or released dates. However, you should be able to answer if a feature is in the works or not at all. It's only fair and professional courtesy to your clients. This will affect my long term plans to keep the N900

1. I've read that the GSM commands issue has been fixed. Can you confirm? (YesorNo). (Used to check account balances and such. *121# for example)

2. Will Portrait Mode ever be implemented across ALL of Maemo 5 UI? Ever? or Just selected Apps? (Keyboard, menus. etc)

3. Is official MMS on the to-do list for Maemo 5 or not?

4. Open source is great. but free only gets you so far in terms of refinement. will there ever be commercial grade games/apps? (Example: Resident 4 or Metal Gear for iPhone)

5. Are voice commands on the to-do list for Maemo 5 or not?

6. Is the function to auto-matically look-up contacts in the Phone App while pressing numbers on the to-do list? (Meaning, if you press on 2 in the Dialer. it'll show contacts starting with ABC, then if i press 3 in the Dialer, it'll show contacts in which the second letter is DEF. etc...)

7. In modest email client, I'm using IMAP. there is no setting (that I can find) to limit retrieval to a time period or specific folders. (Meaning get emails from the past week only for instance). Is such function on the to-do list?

8. Can you confirm support for Exchange 2003 is in the works?

9. Is Video Calling on the to-do list or not?

That is all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
10. Will there be regularly scheduled (ie monthly) firmware updates?

11. Will the Maps app support offline mode?

12. Is there a plan for Skype video call?

13. What's Nokia's plan for Office productivity tools?

14. Will there be a firmware update that would let the user select the 3G band frequency?

15. Will there be customizable profiles?

16. Will Nokia port all previous Maemo apps to the N900?

17. Will current Maemo 5 apps run in Maemo 6 unmodified?

18. Why is the N900 called/marketed as a tablet/mobile computer as opposed to smartphone/superphone?

18. In the successor to N900 will there be a pico projector like in the new Samsung phones?

19. Will a new firmware support voice dial?

20. How many full time employees work on N900/Maemo 5?

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
4. Open source is great. but free only gets you so far in terms of refinement. will there ever be commercial grade games/apps? (Example: Resident 4 or Metal Gear for iPhone)
Careful there, you came really close to insulting a lot of people on these boards.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
(Edited for clarity: My questions to Nokia would be...)

1. Are you as disappointed as we are with OVI?

2. What is the purpose of the USB connection choice popping up every time I plug in a USB cable if "PC Suite mode" is not supported? Could it be changed to "Would you like a toasted english muffin with that?", the net result would be the same.

3. As shipped, besides a cell phone, what other value has Nokia added to this device over the N810?

After all, an N810 tethered to a cheap BT 3G cell phone is a whole lot less expensive and has more applications available.

Just wondering.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-01-08 at 15:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Careful there, you came really close to insulting a lot of people on these boards.
Please elaborate. I couldn't really decide whether you joked or was being sarcastic.

Please. no generalized bashing questions. I don't want my thread to be ignored because of that.

I plead with you, If you have a specific Yes.or No feature question, post. otherwise create another thread for your general inquiries.

I really don't understand what you hope to accomplish. No one would be able to speak in an official capacity on any of those points, from any company, on any product, in an open forum.

Seriously. There just is no way it would happen. It's never happened.

I think you'll just have to wait and see what happens. One thing you really seem to not understand is that its an open platform. The intent would be for 3rd parties to add apps (both commercial and free) to extend the basic functionality shipped with the device.

You must not deal with Valve very often. The point being that some companies not only do that very thing, they do it well and have a lot of customer loyalty because of it.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
I really don't understand what you hope to accomplish. No one would be able to speak in an official capacity on any of those points, from any company, on any product, in an open forum.

Seriously. There just is no way it would happen. It's never happened.

I think you'll just have to wait and see what happens. One thing you really seem to not understand is that its an open platform. The intent would be for 3rd parties to add apps (both commercial and free) to extend the basic functionality shipped with the device.

I did not ask for any promises or release dates. I'm simply asking if those features are in the agenda or not. It's not a classified nuclear bomb. You make it sound as though it's unheard of. Here is an example:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

As for your second point. Yes. I understand that. However, 3rd party can only take you so far. 3rd Party needs incentives/profit/motivation and most importantly an attentive 1st party. To be honest, no one can deny that Nokia is not giving much attention to the N900.

Why would 3rd party care if the 1st party is treating the device as a pet project?

Anyways, I'm not going to argue any further. No need to make another thread grow. I posted my questions. and I'll wait and see.

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-01-08 at 05:59.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Some answers from just-a-user

1. I've read that the GSM commands issue has been fixed. Can you confirm? (YesorNo). (Used to check account balances and such. *121# for example)
Check out https://bugs.maemo.org/index.html?id=5357 for what is currently the official word (bugzilla is being moved right now, though). There's also some end-user work on this in this thread.

Ovi store will open any week now, after that it's up to publishers/developers.

7. In modest email client, I'm using IMAP. there is no setting (that I can find) to limit retrieval to a time period or specific folders. (Meaning get emails from the past week only for instance). Is such function on the to-do list?
Modest is open source, I'm sure patches are accepted

8. Can you confirm support for Exchange 2003 is in the works?
Yes, this has been confirmed by vitaly_repin in the massive MfE thread. If not in the firmware that's on the way out, then the next one ("first MfE sw update")

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post: