Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a tiny difference in effort between doing it the free way (from a company that preaches freedom) and the way they have chosen but the difference between the outcomes, and the message they would thus broadcast to the community, would be huge.
I think I understand what you are saying (even though this post gives a very different impression to your previous post IMO).

However, I don't even think it's something new!

Unless I'm mistaken, you already need an account to use the Jolla store, and they have just re-used the same authentication method for this HW adaptation repo.

Also, remember that they aren't stopping you from downloading the open parts of SFOS + hw adaptation at all, and that this authentication is for people who are using the proprietary libraries...

...and once you're using the proprietary stuff you have no guarantee that you're not being tracked or otherwise bent over a barrel anyway.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.

OK. I have done a factory reset of my Xperia X just to realize that it won't go back to Marshmallow.
Instead, it will reboot into the latest update I had already installed.
So, if you're planning to backup your DRM keys you better not update anything when buy a new device or you'll have to do an extra flashing (I'm guessing here).

Regards.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
OK, let's say that on a scale from 0 to 100, Google's tracking is 100 and Jolla's is 1. You may see only those absolute values. I say that there is a bigger difference between 0 and 1 than there is between 1 and 100. 100 is only 100 times more than 1 but 1 is an infinity times more than 0.

Or look at it this way. There is a tiny difference in effort between doing it the free way (from a company that preaches freedom) and the way they have chosen but the difference between the outcomes, and the message they would thus broadcast to the community, would be huge. I do not accuse them of choosing their way deliberately with any evil intent. It was probably the first thing that came to their mind and it seemed "good enough". But it seems that they did not even stop to consider alternatives, which to me gives a clear indication of what their attitude to freedom is.

I do not wish to prolong this discussion more than necessary. You either get my drift or you don't. Either way is fine with me.
I see your point of view tbh. Am just willing to make a concession on the account

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Big day ahead!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.

OK. I have done a factory reset of my Xperia X just to realize that it won't go back to Marshmallow.
So, if you're planning to backup your DRM keys you better not update anything when buy a new device or you'll have to do an extra flashing (I'm guessing here).

Regards.
My Xperia X came with Nougat out of the box. I'd assume that's the case for most Xperia Xs bought recently.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to UninvitedGuest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Big day today, of course if there are no more delays!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.

Regards.
I may have misunderstood what you mean, but you need to do more than a factory reset to go back to Marshmallow: you need to download and flash a Marshmallow image. See elsewhere in this thread for more details, but in outline the best source of suitable images seems to be to use Xperifirm and download either the shopfront or journalist/press images. You can then back up the DRM keys.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Hi.

You're right: I thought it would go back to MM with the reset but it didn't.

However, and being lazy as I am, I will wait for the official announcement and probably skip this DRM backup process....

Regards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRUfh99ncA
Hi.

Regards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x