microSD->SD adapter and fake capacity battery? I'm not that impressed...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-07-21 at 04:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
SCUD does not produce any more.
The blue ones are still around: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Baixt...654629409.html

You started a very important thread - the N900 is the only mobile in the market now that can adapt to new batteries, just follow the procedure for full drain and full load. What I would like to add is that temperature and humidity can wipe out a battery. Skiiing with it in your front pocket when you start off icey and the battery exposed the humid air in your pocket, then the blistering cold will destroy at least a cheap battery.

You can buy external batteries now, that use the USB port to charge, and give it up to 10 000mAh, but that is one more piece in your pocket. But some of us just has to do what needs to be done - and now it can be done with two pieces in the pocket.

The Following User Says Thank You to knuthf For This Useful Post:
I'm having problems getting my 2450mAh battery to work well..
before doing as Estel explained in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=846 I had 1299mAh charge
and after first cycle I got 1311mAh, 12 mAh with one cycle.. total goal about 1000mAh, far from two cycles..
Any ideas why so low increase?

I had loopmode=5 running for whole time (about 2 hours) while I used webbrowser to drain battery quickly.

bq27200.sh during charging before
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# bq27200.sh
LOOPMODE=0
Reading values...........................done.

CSOC: 15 % RSOC: 15 %
Average Current: 669 mA
TTF: 65535 minutes TTE: 17 minutes
NAC: 195 mAh CACD: 191 mAh CACT: 191 mAh
SI: 17 mA STTE: 670 minutes
MLI: 1028 mA MLTTE: 10 minutes
AR: 0 mA ARTTE: 65535 minutes
Last Measured Discharge: 1299 mAh
Cycle Count since Learning: 1 Total Cycle Count since last full reset: 365
Reported Battery Voltage: 3537 mV
Battery Gauge die Temperature: 43 C
Flags:   0x04
         Charge:0 NOACT:0 IMIN:0 CI:0 CALIP:0 VDQ:1 EDV1:0 EDVF: 0
eeprom data:
         ILMD=2056 EDVF=3000 EDV1=3248 ISLC=20
         DMF=14700 nanoVolt SD=201 thousandths of percent per day
         AGELMD=1 TAPER=102 mA
         IMLC=1028 mA
Nokia-N900:~#
and after:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# bq27200.sh
LOOPMODE=0
Reading values...........................done.

CSOC: 24 % RSOC: 24 %
Average Current: 525 mA
TTF: 65535 minutes TTE: 37 minutes
NAC: 320 mAh CACD: 320 mAh CACT: 320 mAh
SI: 17 mA STTE: 1101 minutes
MLI: 1028 mA MLTTE: 18 minutes
AR: 0 mA ARTTE: 65535 minutes
Last Measured Discharge: 1311 mAh
Cycle Count since Learning: 0 Total Cycle Count since last full reset: 365
Reported Battery Voltage: 3649 mV
Battery Gauge die Temperature: 42 C
Flags:   0x00
         Charge:0 NOACT:0 IMIN:0 CI:0 CALIP:0 VDQ:0 EDV1:0 EDVF: 0
eeprom data:
         ILMD=2056 EDVF=3000 EDV1=3248 ISLC=20
         DMF=14700 nanoVolt SD=201 thousandths of percent per day
         AGELMD=1 TAPER=102 mA
         IMLC=1028 mA
Nokia-N900:~#
attached logs from loopmode 5 (probably no use..) in xls and csv for easy graphs..
Attached Files
File Type: zip deffener_n900_battery_discharge.zip (65.1 KB, 82 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to deffener For This Useful Post:
Hi forum, i'm looking at batteries in the 2300-2450 mah range on DHGate. They look and are in fact cheap. On the other hand you probably can't judge a batt by its cover and 2300 mah on board would be a great boost. Compared to a regular BL-5J, how do these perform? What are the chances of a fried, or worse, exploding phone? This concerns me somewhat

EDIT: Looks legit, a BXT Brand New High Capacity 2600mah, which got a positive review on TMO. Will order one and report back.

Last edited by spaak74; 2013-07-21 at 02:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to spaak74 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deffener View Post
I'm having problems getting my 2450mAh battery to work well..
before doing as Estel explained in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=846 I had 1299mAh charge
and after first cycle I got 1311mAh, 12 mAh with one cycle.. total goal about 1000mAh, far from two cycles..
Any ideas why so low increase?
What type of battery is that, is it dual-cell one? If not, it's fake for sure, as you can't put a ~2000 mAh into regular-sized BL-5J form factor.

I'm afraid, that if it gained 12 mAh during calibration cycle, then your relative capacity is indeed 1311 mAh You would get a little more (but only "relative", not really make you battery better, of course) if you would let it discharge via normal speed - higher current make relative capacity little slower. But it would be i ranges of about 20-30 mAh max, for such battery size.

Thank you for providing logs, though - it's always appreciated. In this specific case, info about physical capabilities of battery (as I've written earlier - single/dual-cell) would be of more use

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Does that Android phone really get five weeks standby with a stock battery?!

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by spaak74 View Post
Hi forum, i'm looking at batteries in the 2300-2450 mah range on DHGate. They look and are in fact cheap. On the other hand you probably can't judge a batt by its cover and 2300 mah on board would be a great boost. Compared to a regular BL-5J, how do these perform? What are the chances of a fried, or worse, exploding phone? This concerns me somewhat

EDIT: Looks legit, a BXT Brand New High Capacity 2600mah, which got a positive review on TMO. Will order one and report back.
if you look at the first 3 posts you will see the pattern about what can be achieved, and that is 1500-1600mAh MAX!!!!, unless some new battery tech has come to the market.

EDIT: and don't go by "review's", this is why i made this thread in the first place, because we can base battery life or anything else on someone "feeling like" this battery is better then that battery.

--------------

biketool - i guess if you put it in low power mode and pretty much not uses it, then yes i properly can do that.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2013-07-21 at 11:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thank you for providing logs, though - it's always appreciated. In this specific case, info about physical capabilities of battery (as I've written earlier - single/dual-cell) would be of more use

/Estel
I bought the battery from ebay after friend of mine had similar working well with HTC Desire Z (got about double batterylife) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/321152097483
I was a bit worried too about it but was convinced otherwise when I saw the results from my friend. Battery is almost identical size, somewhat snugger fit but probably only thicker cover around it..
http://www.kuvauppi.fi/view/output/G...t/imag0351.jpg
There's a picture of 3 different batteries I have, starting left:
One I got as a spare from the guy I bought the phone
One I bought from ebay
and the original one.

I will try draining battery at normal rate today-tomorrow and get back with the results.

Thanks for answering so quickly, much appriciated

--
deffener (@qnet, @ircnet)

The Following User Says Thank You to deffener For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Does that Android phone really get five weeks standby with a stock battery?!
Why not, N900 on regular BL-5J does have ~7 days of *real* standby time (i.e. radios disabled, not touching device, etc). Maybe even longer, I couldn't be bothered to test it longer, as it's pure numerology.

Originally Posted by deffener View Post
There's a picture of 3 different batteries I have, starting left:
One I got as a spare from the guy I bought the phone
One I bought from ebay
and the original one.

Thanks for answering so quickly, much appriciated
No problem It is the middle one, yep? Funny fact - I own exactly same battery myself, was inside one of N900's I've bought. I tested it for sheer fun, using external RC charger, and it was ~1200 mAh (it was used, so original capacity could be 1300 mAh, indeed).

Anyway, your friend must have been hit by placebo effects, as label capacity is fake for 99999999% percent. By pure physic, you can't put more than ~1400 mAh in BL-5J form factor. If you abuse form a little, and make battery thicker (like Scud or Polarcell did), it get ~1500 mAh Q10 max (i.e. during constant current discharge of 1/10 total capacity - you'r relative capacity during real-life usage may be higher, like 1600 or 1700 mAh, even).

That's all about it when it comes to Li-Ion - until some completely new technology arrive (like nanowires or whatsnot), you may be absolutely sure, that everything claiming higher capacity is fake. and believe me, when something new arrive, it will cost 10x or 20x more than LiIon cells, at start

Also, when someone claims, for example 1600 mAh (like Maxxim), you may easily verify it by checking cell thickness - if it's not "fatter" than Nokia's BL-5J, you may be sure, that advertised capacity is fake, too.

Frankly, we have been through that topic dozens of times - but don't worry, I can't really blame you for not reading 157 pages of this thread

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-07-21 at 23:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Why is not there on the first page of the test the battery?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Noki.../dp/B006VCW1F8

Last edited by pinochio; 2013-07-22 at 22:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to pinochio For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc